Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does NCT effect insurance claim?

Options
  • 30-11-2007 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

checking this out on behalf of a friend.

Was wondering if having a Valid NCT effects your insurance claim should you have an accident?

From what some people have said it doesn't.
    Anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Its completely Hit and Miss and can depend on whether the condition of the vehicle was a influencial factor on the claim.

i.e. your brakes failed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

a Friend of mine was only offered half the money for his car on comp ins because his tyres were below the legal thread dept and he was driving unaccompanied as a learner driver. but he told me he was going to fight them on the learner driver part because when he took the policy out they were covering learner drivers.

So to answer yer question Yes what craichoe said

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was rear ended earlier this year and my NCT was out by a year or so. No mention of it during the claims process although it was noticed and recorded by the assessor. Got the full claim amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The answer is variant to what suits the Insurance Co.

If the claim is non fault then your Insurance company dont care because you are either Third Party Fire and Theft therefore cannot claim from them or you are comprehensive and they are just going to recover from the liable parties insurer anyway...

It is an at fault claim and your NCT is out and the Insurance company can prove that it was a contributory factor to your claim then they could decline a comp claim and if they were nasty and had it written into you policy that your NCT must be up to date, they could recover third party claims from you directly too !!! ( ouch )

So to answer your question, It depends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Only way to be 100% sure is to check with your insurance company/broker.
    My policy clearly states that the car must have a valid NCT where applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

JoeySully wrote: »
    but he told me he was going to fight them on the learner driver part because when he took the policy out they were covering learner drivers.

Was he on his second provisional? Unless he was, he hasn't a hope in hell of winning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

eth0_ wrote: »
    Was he on his second provisional? Unless he was, he hasn't a hope in hell of winning this.

Not true.....

The financial ombudsman has ruled on numerous different claims that Insurance Companies are not the Gardai therefore have no entittlement to enforce the law. Unless that person was prosecuted by a member of An Garda Siochana for commiting an offence of driving on a provisional then the Insurer has no choice but to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

MugMugs wrote: »
    Not true.....

The financial ombudsman has ruled on numerous different claims that Insurance Companies are not the Gardai therefore have no entittlement to enforce the law. Unless that person was prosecuted by a member of An Garda Siochana for commiting an offence of driving on a provisional then the Insurer has no choice but to pay out.

That's ridiculous - if the driver was blatantly flouting the law by driving without a valid licence i.e. a 2nd prov or a full licence they should fully expect to have their insurer refuse to pay out.

Do insurance companies pay out if you crash your car while over the drink drive limit, as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

eth0_ wrote: »
    Do insurance companies pay out if you crash your car while over the drink drive limit, as a matter of interest?

This has happened to a friend of mine and the insurance company paid the full amount and he now has a ban of two years. So they will pay out if your drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

qballirl wrote: »
    This has happened to a friend of mine and the insurance company paid the full amount and he now has a ban of two years. So they will pay out if your drink driving.

Quinn state in their policy that the WILL NOT cover drivers under the influence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quinn state in their policy that the WILL NOT cover drivers under the influence

Depends on the insurer, I would assume.

However, you're virtually guaranteed to be prosecuted by the guards if you're in an accident while over the limit. You've a good chance of an expired/non-extant NCT or being unaccompanied *not* being prosecuted unless the accident was your fault.

Advertisement