Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of the Sligo post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Xiney wrote: »
    And yet, I draw your attention to the pile of tripe on page 3 last week. The captions for the photos really made it:

[stock photo of woman nearlyeatingstrawberry] "LEFT INSET: Stawberry Passion"
    [stock photo of nearly nude couple reclining with champagne, nearly kissing] "MAIN PHOTO - THE FIRST KISS: Two lovers Turn up the temperature."

Then the article starts with translations of 'I love you' in five languages, "There are many ways to say I love you" Honestly? You mean different languages have different ways of saying "I love you"?! I would never have guessed, Thank You Oh Wise Sligo Post.

Next paragraph is three yawningly pedestrian ways of celebrating valentine's day: flowers/chocolate, strawberries/champagne, sexy lingerie/fluffy pink handcuffs. I hope to the diety of your choice that the author has more creativity in his own love life.

The rest of the "article" (which is probably only 50 words total) has a three or four more cliches, but includes at one gramatical error per sentence.

All this on page 3, "News".

I mean. Really. I hope it was last minute filler when a story fell through, knocked together in 10 minutes. Because I can think of no other reason to include something so ridiculous on page 3. Probably only topped by that time the Post's front page headline was "SCUM!!!!!"

</rant>

What an insult to a piece of high brow journalism. I don't think you appreciated it on every level:D I just flicked on by, like I do with most of their "features".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Some other gems from the Sligo Post:

The "Young Free & Single" column, who's columnist (Charlotte Moran) looks EXTREMELY pissed off in her identifying headshot. Tip: if you're going to have a single's column, written by a woman, you may want to avoid making her look like an angry, bitter hag.

Then there's the new, "Diary of a Sligo Student in Dublin" which, quite frankly, I very rarely get through because I have a vested interest in keeping my blood pressure stable. Last week's article was some daft lauding of Pancake Tuesday and deploring the poor pancakes that went sailing through the window. The last sentence "I passed all my exams" fills me with pity for those poor people who actually had to read and grade them. If this poorly written weekly article were a blog on livejournal, the only person reading it would be her mother.

The "text in your opinion" bit is ridiculous. First specimen from last week's paper pretty much says it all: "Does anyone know where da dog with da ball is who was always around town gone 2? (anon)" Wow. Simply. Wow.

Finally, the complete and total disregard for the English Language fills me with abject rage and utter horror. Do not get me wrong, I don't have a degree in English, so I'm no grammar expert. But I think people writing in a newspaper should know things as basic as the difference between "your" and "you're" and so on.

I just don't get the Post because it makes me to darn angry to read it... case in point I've ranted twice now about last week's issue and I didn't even pick up this week's.

I was happy to see, however, that the Champion scooped them in this week's paper: that prostitution story that hit their front page today was one that the Silgo Post was working on since before Christmas - there was an editorial a while back promising a story that would "rock the very foundations of Sligo" or something similarly lame... well... that's what he meant...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The "text in your opinion" bit is ridiculous. First specimen from last week's paper pretty much says it all: "Does anyone know where da dog with da ball is who was always around town gone 2? (anon)" Wow. Simply. Wow.

da dog is dead. de sd it in de post 2day.

Apologies to the mods, the txt spk was in context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Also this weeks front page is just daft, its even less connected to sligo than the guy who got stabbed in Dublin. A woman from New York, who has probably never been to Sligo, was killed, and happens to have a family connection to the county. Surprise surprise, about 3 million Irish people in NY and someone comes from sligo. Its just such a non story , surely they can find something to write about thats actually related to the county?? All they look for is a way of getting a sensationalist headline on the front page and they are happy.

For a complete tabloid sensationalist non-story read the front page of this weeks 'Weekender'. Apparently Jack Nickolson (Hollywood star) may have ancestral links to Sligo and might be related to 9 million Lynches who may come from Sligo, or other some such waffle. The article was badly written. Couldn't understand what the "reporter" was actually trying to say. I laughed when I read they scoured the phone book and rang various Lynches in the locality. Such investigative journalism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

The "text in your opinion" bit is ridiculous. First specimen from last week's paper pretty much says it all: "Does anyone know where da dog with da ball is who was always around town gone 2? (anon)" Wow. Simply. Wow

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    ROFL. STOP YOU'RE KILLING ME.

It's so true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Some other gems from the Sligo Post:

The "Young Free & Single" column, who's columnist (Charlotte Moran) looks EXTREMELY pissed off in her identifying headshot. Tip: if you're going to have a single's column, written by a woman, you may want to avoid making her look like an angry, bitter hag.

Then there's the new, "Diary of a Sligo Student in Dublin" which, quite frankly, I very rarely get through because I have a vested interest in keeping my blood pressure stable. Last week's article was some daft lauding of Pancake Tuesday and deploring the poor pancakes that went sailing through the window. The last sentence "I passed all my exams" fills me with pity for those poor people who actually had to read and grade them. If this poorly written weekly article were a blog on livejournal, the only person reading it would be her mother.

Finally, the complete and total disregard for the English Language fills me with abject rage and utter horror. Do not get me wrong, I don't have a degree in English, so I'm no grammar expert. But I think people writing in a newspaper should know things as basic as the difference between "your" and "you're" and so on.

I just don't get the Post because it makes me to darn angry to read it... case in point I've ranted twice now about last week's issue and I didn't even pick up this week's.

I'd have to add the whole teen scene section to this rant. The reviews are often of items that have been out ages (example- p.s. I love you, the book, was reviewed last week) and the column on the interweb is just wrong. Its not the young fellas fault, hes only 13!!!! But someone in the paper should have had the cop on to just say "no, this is a line we should not cross!" Also the reviews in general are just pointless, everything is great, nothing ever seems to have a problem. Great if you are one of the garages selling the reviewed cars for instance but its just silly if they can't show some critical edge. Perhaps they are afraid they won't be allowed do any more if they give out.
    Madge wrote: »
    For a complete tabloid sensationalist non-story read the front page of this weeks 'Weekender'. Apparently Jack Nickolson (Hollywood star) may have ancestral links to Sligo and might be related to 9 million Lynches who may come from Sligo, or other some such waffle. The article was badly written. Couldn't understand what the "reporter" was actually trying to say. I laughed when I read they scoured the phone book and rang various Lynches in the locality. Such investigative journalism!

Whats even worse about that is the Post actually "broke" that story last week!!! It was daft then and its even dafter in the Weekender.

The Post is purely a vehicle for advertising. They have more people working on getting ads for it than are working on writing it - that's a fact.

They won't do critical reviews because they're only doing the reviews to get ads from the businesses. Sometimes they won't write about something happening in town if it's to do with a business, simply because that business refuses to advertise with them.

To be honest I'll be surprised if they're still in business in two years based on the way they treat their advertisers, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

To be honest I'll be surprised if they're still in business in two years based on the way they treat their advertisers, as well.

+1

I told one of the advertising salespersons about this thread many months ago. I was in a dispute over my own ads and pointed out how the reputation of the paper had dropped so much since they started. Oh well... they don't care, the cash is rolling in from the 90% ad content.

By the way, does anyone else read ads? I do.

• Advertisement

I have to admit, that years of internet browsing has conditionned me to ignore ads. I don't even see them - the only ones I see are fullpage/half page because they take up so much space they do register, but I so very rarely read them it doesn't matter.

Actually when I first started looking for a job in Sligo, I would sometimes accidentally skip over the larger job ads that were professionally designed - instead of catching my eye they did the opposite.

The basic facts of the Sligo Post are that the people who own it also own numerous other papers, and I believe a couple of radio stations. From someone who knows their business better than me, I heard they intend to build up as many papers and radio licences as possible, and flog the entire thing as a large multi media company (wild speculation or insightful foretelling of things to come?). Until then, the Sligo Post will have to subsist on bargain basement journalism.
    The Leitrim Post is a better paper, but then they still charge for that. I don't know if you pay for the quality, or the fact that it only has one competitor (Leitrim Observer) means they can charge for it.

The parent company is Rivermedia, they own 13 papers (four in Co. Donegal alone), the Q radio station network up north, and Ocean FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The parent company is Rivermedia, they own 13 papers (four in Co. Donegal alone), the Q radio station network up north, and Ocean FM.
    il gatto wrote: »
    The Leitrim Post is a better paper, but then they still charge for that. I don't know if you pay for the quality, or the fact that it only has one competitor (Leitrim Observer) means they can charge for it.

also owned by the above company

;)

yup, was merely corroborating the PP's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I find it slightly bizarre that there's so many people complaining about the quality of a free newspaper. If it were something that you paid for & were unhappy with, I'd understand, but it's not. It's not like anyone even HAS to read it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The out & about section is pretty good for potential stalking information but that's about it.

The out & about section is pretty good for potential stalking information but that's about it.

I knew there was a saving grace to the rag...

irish-stew wrote: »
    also owned by the above company

;)

I know that. It's still a better paper. The "they" I referred to was Rivermedia.

This week's issue has a spelling/typing error on the front page.

*shakes head*

(I didn't get farther than that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 VickyPollard

alot of rubbish in it..but pics funny to look at-best dressed+out and about!! and whats that column about the Sligo student in college in Dublin,i've never read it but c'mon,who wants to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

it's free,so i don't complain...better than nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Yeah it is free in fairness, plus the sports section is not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

aye,and out and about is a bit of craic to see yourself in the paper...every bit of journalism doesnt have to be heavy stuff

I have to say it completely grates on my nerves! It's probably the Text Messages section that bugs me the most. They could at least decipher them and only print relevant ones. And the Out and About pages, probably my old age, but I just skip past them. Then I skip past the ads and the sports section, which leaves... the front page with a spelling mistake! The College Girl column isn't relevant to me, but it doesn't stop her being a patronising, sanctimonious kid preaching.

I find it bad for my blood pressure, so best to avoid it..

I guess they're not aiming for the 30+ market, just students and young people, but their advertising doesn't seem to be aimed towards that age bracket.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

It's only acceptable because it's free.

I skip to the out and about section and then close it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Remember reading a text message in it.. went something along the lines of:
    Jimmy, wil u b wit me? Luv Gemma
    Christ.. there's so much wrong with that! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

basquille wrote: »
    Remember reading a text message in it.. went something along the lines of:

Christ.. there's so much wrong with that! :rolleyes:
    Is your real name Jimmy? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

muffler wrote: »
    Is your real name Jimmy? :D