Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Megane

• 30-11-2007 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Can find a better forum to post this in.

My friend has a 96 Megane Coupe that doesn't seem to want to work. I have several questions which will be numbered so you can answer any one of them by number. I don't know a great deal about cars so sorry if these questions seem really stupid. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1. Do different cars take a different voltage, or are they all a standard 12V?

2. The car almost started one time with constant revving whilst turning the ignition. Does this indicate that the spark plugs or the ignition are gone? Or would that not happen if that was the case?

3. Is it a possibilty that there is a fuse blown that is stopping the car from starting, if it can be turned on?

4. The immobiliser was activated at one stage. Does this need to be unactivated by a renault mechanic, or can it be done with just the alarm box on the keys?

5. Is there any other reason the car would not start? I'm sure the battery is dead, but trying it with the battery from another car would not work. This battery was a 12V. I'm not sure how much petrol the car has because we can not turn the car on. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

1. No. 12v is standard.
    2. This could be a sign of a fuel issue (pump, petrol - or lack of), an electrical issue (ECU) or a bad connection or bad spark plugs... or an imobiliser. The list is endless.
    3. Yes, but you could be ounlikely to 'almost' start the car as you said earlier - but all models are different.
    4. Yes, it sure does, it aint' gonna start with an immobliser enabled! This is usually handled by the key/alarm, but it could be a seperate key-fob.
    5. The petrol indicator should show the amount of petrol when the ignition is turned on - it's electrical afterall - it does not need the enging to be running to tell you this.

I'd advise adding a couple of liters of fresh petrol to the tank and retrying the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

kleftangel wrote: »
    Can find a better forum to post this in.

My friend has a 96 Megane Coupe that doesn't seem to want to work. I have several questions which will be numbered so you can answer any one of them by number. I don't know a great deal about cars so sorry if these questions seem really stupid. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1. Do different cars take a different voltage, or are they all a standard 12V?

2. The car almost started one time with constant revving whilst turning the ignition. Does this indicate that the spark plugs or the ignition are gone? Or would that not happen if that was the case?

3. Is it a possibilty that there is a fuse blown that is stopping the car from starting, if it can be turned on?

4. The immobiliser was activated at one stage. Does this need to be unactivated by a renault mechanic, or can it be done with just the alarm box on the keys?

5. Is there any other reason the car would not start? I'm sure the battery is dead, but trying it with the battery from another car would not work. This battery was a 12V. I'm not sure how much petrol the car has because we can not turn the car on. Any ideas?

This is much better suited to the motor forum TBH. Suggest moving it there Mod

Many mechanics there that may be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kleftangel

Thanks. Sorry, i didn't realise there was a motor thread. I did look but my powers of observation fail me yet again.

You aren't talking about the motoring thread under sport are you? Cause that looks mostly to be about the sport rather than mechanics. I would've thought the engineering section would be better no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

kleftangel wrote: »
    Thanks. Sorry, i didn't realise there was a motor thread. I did look but my powers of observation fail me yet again.

You aren't talking about the motoring thread under sport are you? Cause that looks mostly to be about the sport rather than mechanics. I would've thought the engineering section would be better no?

A good few engineers know a bit about cars but there is a motors section under recreation. They will be able to help more. Added link to help you find it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Mods, if you wanna move it go ahead unless its posted in motors before you get to this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kleftangel

Thanks man. I'll repost it there. Am i able to deletethe original or should I leave it?

• Advertisement

I'll just close it since you don't need it anymore due to another thread being created in Motors. If, for some reason, you want it reopened send me a PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement