Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chocolate slices

Options
  • 30-11-2007 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to explain (badly) what a chocalate slice is to people in work here and can't find any pictures. Does anyone have a picture. They were a cake / biscuit that was only sold in Cork and still is sold in Cork in a lot of places but not so much, if at all, in the rest of Ireland. Anyone near UCC that could run to hurleys shop and take a picture for me (cause I know they have them)....or have a link to a picture. Or indeed, do they sell them in Dublin now? Maybe I'm calling them by the wrong name but thats what we called them in Cork growing up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

curses... now I want a chocolate slice and a glass of milk! It's the cake thread all over again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

if you do happen to pass a shop selling them, take out your camera phone and take a picture, I'll owe ya one (chocolate slice possibly). They'll only look at you strangely for a while in the shop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was only talking to T about these the other day. The nicest were the Thom(p?)son's Bakery ones, with the sliver of jelly stuff between the cakey stuff and the choccy stuff. You'd eat from either end so you'd save the middle bit with the fondant till last. The Old Mill ones are the best available today, but they're not a patch on how they used to be.

Are they really only a Cork thing? I didn't know that at all. Is Donkey's Gudge another Cork thing?

adam

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

always beena fan of the amberly ones. taht said i'd prefer a custard slice to a chocolate slice.

is donkey's gudge chester or russian log? russian log is a cork thing. chester can be found in dublin in the form of gur cake. triangular battenburgs is anotehr cork thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

dahamsta wrote: »
    Is Donkey's Gudge another Cork thing?

is that the end of the day mash everything into a cake like form and sell it for cheap thing?

Anyway - courtesy of the good folks at Fitzpatricks Shop in Glounthaune, one chocolate slice. And very tasty it was too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

^^Thought that's what you were on about alright, but didn't think they were only a Cork thing.
    Always get them when im in Fitzpatricks..yummie.

Now I want one to have with my cup of tea atm!!:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's a good lookin choccy slice and no mistake. I'll have to refer to that regularly when I go back on my diet on Monday. :)
    deRanged wrote: »
    is that the end of the day mash everything into a cake like form and sell it for cheap thing?
    Yup. I think it's also called chester, like Tree says. Not sure about russian log.

I used to love triangular battenburg when I was younger, not so much now.

adam

I used to love triangular battenburg when I was younger, not so much now.
    God havn't had triangular battenburg in a few years..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

chester gets raisings and fruit added. russian log gets sherry and jam and pink icing added. clearly russian log wins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

not so much now.

Try a different brand. There's some bakery based in Ballincollig that does nice ones if you can get them fresh. There's some other crowd that do horrible ones that don't even seem to have real cream. Come to think of it - I'm in Ballincollig right now........

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Tree wrote: »
    always beena fan of the amberly ones. taht said i'd prefer a custard slice to a chocolate slice.

is donkey's gudge chester or russian log? russian log is a cork thing. chester can be found in dublin in the form of gur cake. triangular battenburgs is anotehr cork thing.

In Limerick we used have Russian Slices which really are just slices of russian log which is of course a slightly moister version of tipsy cake.

I always hated chester cakes though - too dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I like chocolate slices, mmm... I hate the pink dot on it though...

dulpit wrote: »
    I like chocolate slices, mmm... I hate the pink dot on it though...

:D..I love that bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

oh yum, chocolate slices, chester cakes , russian logs ! i love them all.
    unfortunately they are getting harder to find as bakeries are definitely dying in favour of more generic bought in cakes or fancier cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Speaking of bakeries - where are the best bakeries in Cork city? Like, places to get nice coffee slices and scones etc? Been here a few years now and I haven't found any decent ones (like Ivans or Quigleys in Limerick, or Griffens and the French bakery in Galway).

deRanged wrote: »
    Anyway - courtesy of the good folks at Fitzpatricks Shop in Glounthaune, one chocolate slice. And very tasty it was too.

you are a legend, thank you.

I also mentioned the triangle chocolate covered battenburg and noone had heard of that here, just the traditional non chocolate square batenburg, surely thats not a Cork thing.

i have to agree with dahamsta about the ones with the sliver of jelly being the best ones. They were smaller than the ones today but of higher quality, good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Maybe they are more of a southern thing, cause I had both of those when I was younger in Kerry.

brav wrote: »
    Maybe they are more of a southern thing, cause I had both of those when I was younger in Kerry.

quite possible, the first official sighting outside of Cork anyway goes to you.

Advertisement