Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow cooking - casseroles and the like

• 30-11-2007 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

All my lovely pots and pans have arrived from the wedding list this week, so I'm dying to break them in! I now have a few pots that can go into the oven too - casserole dishes and the like. So I'd love to start Cooking some stews or casseroles.

Normally I'm too impatient to put things on for a slow cook, but now I have the gear - I'm determined to give it a try.

Has anyone any advice or recipes or tips?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

the best advice is to use COLD water, so the meat will release its fat slowly. Obviously you should use beef cuts which are suitable for casserole, ask your preferred butcher =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rosie26

and learn how to use the timer on your oven. it'll be your new best friend when you arrive home to a scrumptious stew after feckin a load of stuff into a pot that morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

rosie26 wrote: »
    and learn how to use the timer on your oven. it'll be your new best friend when you arrive home to a scrumptious stew after feckin a load of stuff into a pot that morning

No timer - it's a shonky gas yoke that we had to buy to fit into the spot of its predecessor. It does have a 'slow cook' option though...

Advertisement