Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas day in dublin

Options
  • 30-11-2007 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

greetings jackeens,

i'm a simple country lad about to experience my first christmas away from the nest (like countless others, i've fled the capital for the past 7 years). eager to ensure a festive yuletide, i've signed-up for a plethora of events in the coming weeks (farmleigh, xmas movies in temple bar, carol services, etc)

but what do you good burghers traditionally do on the big day itself? are the parks open, or does everything close? i suppose i could go swimming in the 40 ft, but i don't think my better half would be overly enthused, and i'm not even sure if there's any public transport running?

appreciate any and all feedback :)

dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭light123

Hi there,

If after a while doing some outside stuff, I would recommend Eamonn Doran's as it plays excellent music. Was there on Christmas day at around 2 to 5 or so a few years ago with the girlfriend. The music made it. Might be good if you can still get a slice of pizza beside it.

Enjoy your Christmas whatever you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

light123 wrote: »
    Hi there,

If after a while doing some outside stuff, I would recommend Eamonn Doran's as it plays excellent music. Was there on Christmas day at around 2 to 5 or so a few years ago with the girlfriend. The music made it. Might be good if you can still get a slice of pizza beside it.

Enjoy your Christmas whatever you do...

I thought the pubs didn't open on Christmas Day? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

you know we Dubs spend the day with our families too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

light123 wrote: »
    I would recommend Eamonn Doran's as it plays excellent music. Was there on Christmas day at around 2 to 5 or so a few years ago with the girlfriend
    You must be mistaken! Are you confusing it with Christmas Eve/St Stephen's Day?

agrajag wrote: »
    what do you good burghers traditionally do on the big day itself?
    Usually working! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

Just relax......after all the manic rushing around leading up to it and then all the drinking,eating and partying after it I always think its a great idea too just relax with friends and family.

Have a good one whatever you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

phasers wrote: »
    you know we Dubs spend the day with our families too

Same here, time with family and lots of alcomohol and food. More time with drink and food than family though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

No public transport whatsoever. Sit at home and pig out with the better half. It's only one day. If you feel you want some exercise, try the GOAL mile. Belfield, Irishtown and the Phoenix Park are ones closest to the city centre. Supporting a charity, too, so you'll feel less guilty about stuffing yourself the rest of the day! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

do ye schoolin folk go chasin the wran?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

:confused:

Are they real words or is that some sort of anagram we have to decipher? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

stevens day,sandymount.
    Agrajag, for a festive dublin christmas you need,1 turkey (large) 1 ham (also large) spuds,sprouts and any other veg you like,personally I like marrowfat pea's but their optional. Cook everything and then eat it,you may find 3 oclock a good time. You can also make or buy a dessert or two,also optional. You should then proceed to the room that your telly box is in and sit in front of it. You may feel uncomfortable, even somewhat bloated and you may even fart,but thats normal,especially if have taken the pea's option.You may feel drowsy,you may even sleep,but don't feel bad if you do,us dubliners do it too. Boredom may set in around this time,especially if the telly box is showing crap stuff,so use this oportunity to propose a toast and get pissed.Continue drinking untill the early hours or untill the drink runs out,whichever comes first.
    This going out lark on christmas day is only for people who pretend to being fully paid up memebers of some church or other,it should be avoided at all cost,the neighbours will talk about you in spitefull ways.Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

agrajag wrote: »
    greetings jackeens,

dave

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll see your family up on December 8th :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is there any public transport on St Stephens day or is town still in lockdown mode?

pithater1 wrote: »
    Is there any public transport on St Stephens day or is town still in lockdown mode?
    Usually Sunday service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

jolly good, now I can escape the family and go to the leinster match

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

dubtom wrote: »
    stevens day,sandymount.
    Agrajag, for a festive dublin christmas you need,1 turkey (large) 1 ham (also large) spuds,sprouts and any other veg you like,personally I like marrowfat pea's but their optional. Cook everything and then eat it,you may find 3 oclock a good time. You can also make or buy a dessert or two,also optional. You should then proceed to the room that your telly box is in and sit in front of it. You may feel uncomfortable, even somewhat bloated and you may even fart,but thats normal,especially if have taken the pea's option.You may feel drowsy,you may even sleep,but don't feel bad if you do,us dubliners do it too. Boredom may set in around this time,especially if the telly box is showing crap stuff,so use this oportunity to propose a toast and get pissed.Continue drinking untill the early hours or untill the drink runs out,whichever comes first.
    This going out lark on christmas day is only for people who pretend to being fully paid up memebers of some church or other,it should be avoided at all cost,the neighbours will talk about you in spitefull ways.Hope that helps.

You must spend Xmas at my house? That's exactly how I spend the day. Oh, don't forget the argument with the English granny about watching the queen's speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

dubtom wrote: »
    stevens day,sandymount.

indeed i live 5 mins away in ringsend , needless to say the only present or let alone kindess from anyone is that your happy you wherent broken into ( which happens here Alot ) or that your car didnt get nicked

i spent my stpehens-christmass day doing the same thing , drinking my life away in railway union astroturf pitchs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Usually working! ;)

:eek: Are you self employed or just have scrooge as your boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

:eek: Are you self employed or just have scrooge as your boss?
    There are a lot of important service which must operate 365 days a day.

"Sorry Sir bad day to have a heart attack, come back tomorrow"

Advertisement