Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach myself piano

• 30-11-2007 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Right, so I got to grade 2 when I was about 10 (I'm 22 now) but I quit for one reason or another. Now I'd love to be able to sit down and play some new pieces ... like Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol for example.

I can't remember anything about playing the piano ... would it be possible to teach myself and can anyone recommend any books?

Have a piano at home thats rarely used seems a waste.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

it is possible.just start plying and stuff will come flooding back.

same thing happened to me.i was 11 and getting ready to do my grade 6 exam and the pressure got to me and i quit.im 18 now and about a year ago i just sat at my piano and started playing.took me a while to get used to it.a few days later i was playing november rain by guns 'n' roses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Cool,

My problem is I can't even remember how to read music ... might take a look on amazon and see what I can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

^whitey^ wrote: »
    Right, so I got to grade 2 when I was about 10 (I'm 22 now) but I quit for one reason or another. Now I'd love to be able to sit down and play some new pieces ... like Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol for example.

I can't remember anything about playing the piano ... would it be possible to teach myself and can anyone recommend any books?

Have a piano at home thats rarely used seems a waste.

Cheers.

Of course you can! That sounds nearly the same as myself, I got to a certain grade (I have no idea what it was) when I was about ten or eleven and then just quit because it wasn't 'cool' or something like that :rolleyes:.

So anyway a couple of years ago I decided to have a go at it again because there were loads of songs I wanted to play. I found the old book that I used back in the day (It's one of those 'The complete keyboard player' books. Just did a quick search and here it is) and I found it very usefull, especially because near the back was a list of chords. It actually came back fairly quickly but for the life of me I couldn't remember how to read music. I didn't really want to learn all that again, so I really just worked out the songs that I wanted to learn by ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Cheers for the link D.T. Jesus sounds exactly the thing I want. I'm the same as yourself i'd just like to learn a few songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

another one here of the 'gave up when i were a kid and went back to it' brigade....

i don't bother to read music any more, but i can noodle me way thru chords and download 'em for free from plenty of sites and build a bit of improv around them. best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement