Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus/NTL in Sligo

Options
  • 30-11-2007 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

I have a quick question regarding their services. In the flat I live in, we seem to pick up some chorus channels (bbc, itv, mtv, e4 etc) but aren't paying anything :confused:

Not that I'm complaining of course :D Just wondering why this is? And is it mmds that we're getting or analogue or what?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

That sounds like analogue cable as digital is not available on the cable network yet, some of the channels you mentioned are not available on the MMDS service in Sligo. A reason you may not be disconnected is because its a flat, and maybe access couldnt be got to the cables. Enjoy the free viewing;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

is there no digital at all in sligo yet? any idea when they're planning on setting it up?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It should be soon. We got a letter from them about a month ago saying they were upgrading the network here for digital tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

ah right,cool! hopefully they'll get it sorted soon enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

A bit of the work for the cable digital upgrade has happened but it will be up to six months before some parts of town can get the service. It will be Jan or Feb before the first subscribers go digital on cable. Shortly after that i think the DVR will be available which will have 80 hours recording i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just a bump for this.. have been waiting for probably a year and a half for Chorus Digital in the apartment I'm living in (can't mount an external dish so Sky is a no-no).

Living in Sligo town, and entered our phone number on the UPC site last week and says we're eligible for digital service.

So ordered it on Thursday but got an e-mail off them on Friday saying our address isn't on their system and they've to carry out checks, and should contact me next week. Fingers crossed though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

It should be soon. We got a letter from them about a month ago saying they were upgrading the network here for digital tv.

Does that mean we will see UPC lovely 20mb broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

UPC are only supplying Digital services via and antenna from their site at Burghleigh (The OX mountains) and a site at Kelogyboy. It is in their plans to have high speed broadband running over ADSL2+ within the next 12 months.

I presently have the ADSL2+ service and despite some teething problems and their deplorable customer service, I find it very good indeed

Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Rozbeef wrote: »
    I have a quick question regarding their services. In the flat I live in, we seem to pick up some chorus channels (bbc, itv, mtv, e4 etc) but aren't paying anything :confused:

Not that I'm complaining of course :D Just wondering why this is? And is it mmds that we're getting or analogue or what?

Cheers :)

I would like to give a quick answer. <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I dealt with Chorus when I moved to Sligo. They are a cowboy outfit, had to threaten them with the Small Claims Court to get my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

strongr wrote: »
    Does that mean we will see UPC lovely 20mb broadband?

Forgot all about this thread. I was hoping that would be the case. I sent then an email when the 20Mb upgrades were coming into place and they said that it's not available in sligo until around september. So hopefully they live up to that. It'll be awesome.
    Essexboy wrote: »
    I dealt with Chorus when I moved to Sligo. They are a cowboy outfit, had to threaten them with the Small Claims Court to get my money back.

They were meant to be pretty bad all right (same with ntl) but they've since been bought out by upc (upc also bought out ntl) and apparently things have improved quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

They were meant to be pretty bad all right (same with ntl) but they've since been bought out by upc (upc also bought out ntl) and apparently things have improved quite a bit.

I doubt it, but the powers that be here won't allow me to bash said company.. (steenkin rulezzzz ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

we had them here were alright until we had a problem with where the wires were being put ,seems like the guy was still in the USSR you want wire me give you wire mode, so you'd want to keep an eye on them
    that said the package is good much better than what I've seen in sky etc.
    also there was a strong smell of alcholol/deodarant in my room after they left
    could be a different crew for switching from uhf to digital
    enjoying the package though the comedy stations are good and the film stations
    almost something for everyone in the deal (the range of programs covered)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Does anyone know how long it would take to to get the buildings wired for the broadband in Sligo? I mean are the cables already somewhere and they just have to connect it or do have to start from scratch.

I assume the broadband is working over the TV cable or am I mistaken.

I am currently with Fastcom bc. I dont have a landline and while they are pretty good the Chorus/NTL offer is just way to good to pass up. Its 5x the dl speed for 10euros less at least in my case. (thats for the 10Mbit)

Thanks

Part of what they have to upgrade is the cable that's in the ground as it's shíte. The network they inherited when they bought ntl and chorus was woeful and they are spending a lot of time and money upgrading it. Some of the cable is in ducting which shouldn't be too hard too upgrade but some of it is just buried under ground which will lead to some problems. And yes you are right that it works over tv cable.

A reliable source has told me it will be some time this year when broadband is available in Sligo.

Advertisement