Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Infraction Debate

Options
  • 30-11-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

On a moral and ethical standpoint - is it right to get an infraction for calling someone a name that they clearly are. Surely this is just pointing out the obvious. I doubt it could cause insult to the person being a called a name because since they are being called the name this time, they are probably used to being called a name because of the way they behave.

Is that vague enough not to get an infraction but still get my point across.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A subject very close to my heart this one. Roy Keane is a wanker no matter what the soccer mods say :D I'm sure some people have seen my thread in feedback and agree with the argument that dishing out bans for referring to someone in this way is over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A subject very close to my heart this one. Roy Keane is a wanker no matter what the soccer mods say

I want some proof of this have you got any evidence showing Mr. Keane ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭SlinkyToo

A perfect example of someone being called what they are. A dog is a dog, a cat is a cat.

What? Like its ok to call a black person a n*gger because he's black? Or calling a Chinese person a ch*nk 'cause he's from China?

There's a great difference between a descriptive name i.e. Chinese, Black, and a racial slur. So, most of the time, no it's not ok.

Thats a new record it only took the Politically Correct Brigade 5 mins to respond and totally miss the point.

You see I said you were part of the PC Brigade and you are, thereby furthering strengthing my argument. Thanks.

• Advertisement

SlinkyToo wrote: »
    Thats a new record it only took the Politically Correct Brigade 5 mins to respond and totally miss the point.

You see I said you were part of the PC Brigade and you are, thereby furthering strengthing my argument. Thanks.

How has it to do with PC? If anything it has to do with respect and not being ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Take it to Feedback ffs.

This is not a democracy, the rules are cleary stated at the beginning.

But in general life you should be able to express your feelings within context and as long as the rules allow it. There is no such thing as free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rob_l wrote: »
    I want some proof of this have you got any evidence showing Mr. Keane ****

NSFW

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=19144768

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

OP infracted for posting in AH and not feedback :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I got an infraction over what was misinterpreted as an insult (it wasn't). I don't care that i got it, what annoyed me was that i pm'd the mod explaining myself and i got no reply:rolleyes:

As for personal abuse, better an infraction than a ban don't you think?

• Advertisement

How has it to do with PC? If anything it has to do with respect and not being ignorant.

Politically correct again - Do you send Christmas cards to your non christian friends? If you do you are being sectarian.

Do you accept a calendar from your local chinese takeaway even though it has a picture of the God of Prosperity on it?? Then you are worshipping false idols.

Any day now we will have the PC police whittering on about how Christmas Carols offend everyone.

Its like the Stamford Prison experiment, give people with no power a little power and pretty soon they are stripping people naked and taking photos.

Stamford was the pre cursor of Abu Gharaib and Boards.ie

Watch for the signs.

Politically correct again - Do you send Christmas cards to your non christian friends? If you do you are being sectarian.

Do you accept a calendar from your local chinese takeaway even though it has a picture of the God of Prosperity on it?? Then you are worshipping false idols.

Any day now we will have the PC police whittering on about how Christmas Carols offend everyone.

See there you go again. It has nothing to do with being PC. It has to do with the fact that I wasn't raised to insult people. So I have no need to call a black person a n*gger or a chinese person a ch*nk. I think you just have some pent-up aggression about PC issues and you're just trying to vent it out on me.

Take it somewhere else. If anything, I also believe the world is going PC-crazy. Soon we'll be taking out the bags of colour, singing 'bout little sheep and being annoyed by the vertically challenged.

But to repeat myself, there's a difference between being PC-crazy and being respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

SlinkyToo wrote:
    Its like the Stamford Prison experiment, give people with no power a little power and pretty soon they are stripping people naked and taking photos.

Watch for the signs.

And give anyone access to a medium and they'll suddenly become a revolutionary, fighting the Man. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Watch for the signs.

Stamford

Stanford

You retard.

I think I may have further strengthened your argument there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

A perfect example of someone being called what they are. A dog is a dog, a cat is a cat.

Yeah, a dog is widely accepted to be a dog. It's not a subjective matter.

You calling someone something if your opinion, and as such, could be flawed. Think about it, if you called someone a d*ckwad and they called you a wanker in response your logic would make you a wanker.

You'll probably see when a member is notoriously an eegit that a mod will not give an infraction - because it is general consensus that that person is such a thing.

If you really want to give out to someone, you can always take it to the The Thunderdome.

Sorry Stamford was were Speedball killed 650 people and sparked the Superhero Civil War.

Anyway I wish that guy would stop referring to Blacks and Chinese with derogatory terms, ok ok we get the point you dont like non whites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

ok ok we get the point you dont like non whites.

Hate the cnuts, anything over 60 degrees and they run all over the place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hate the cnuts, anything over 60 degrees and they run all over the place

Okay, that made me LOL.

OP, what exactly are you referring to? Is it a specific incidence or a general query?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you got an infraction for calling someone a person or a human then you have every right to be pissed off. I'm going to assume you didn't though. Unfortunately you haven't provided us with any information so we can't make a decision.

Edit: I think I've figured out the post you are referring to. Is this it? If it is, that's personal abuse and you should consider yourself lucky you didn't get a ban for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

peasant wrote: »
    OP infracted for posting in AH and not feedback :D:D:D

Is back seat modding infractionable ? :D

Oleras infracted for back seat modding :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

peasant wrote: »
    Oleras infracted for back seat modding :p

Your at it again..........jeez....:D

(that will learn you for knocking Bob.....oh, i saw that thread in AH, the cheek..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

On a moral and ethical standpoint - is it right to get an infraction for calling someone a name that they clearly are. Surely this is just pointing out the obvious.
    Anyway I wish that guy would stop referring to Blacks and Chinese with derogatory terms
    Make up your mind. Either we call them what they obviously are, or we don't.

=-=

For example, IF I called you a f**king retarded piece of sh|t, you'd report me, but as you don't think it's right for someone
    to get an infraction for calling someone a name that they clearly are
    you shouldn't report me, as I'd be getting a warning, even though you
    are probably used to being called a name because of the way
    you
    behave.

But, I'm not calling you that (note the "if" word), because that be name calling, and name calling is bad, and may get me a infraction...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Call me conceited if you will, but as soon as I saw this thread, I knew that it had something to do with me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54536811#post54536811

You're lucky I didn't ban you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

oleras wrote: »
    Is back seat modding infractionable ? :D

It was when I got mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Terry wrote: »
    Call me conceited if you will, but as soon as I saw this thread, I knew that it had something to do with me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54536811#post54536811

You're lucky I didn't ban you.

Conceited.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dear Terry. You cannot infract Karoma because he is above the law. Please refrain from trying to infract your superior in the future
    Damn it.

• Advertisement

Terry infracted for even trying :D

Advertisement