Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB Issue

Options
  • 30-11-2007 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in my brothers house in Galway and something weird is happening with his broadband (NTL).

For extended periods of time, the cable modem goes from 5 lights on (full connectivity) to 2+1 blinking (no internet connectivity, local only).

What causes this issue? Since its cable, I thought it would be pretty reliable...

Any ideas? Anything I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭wombat

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm in my brothers house in Galway and something weird is happening with his broadband (NTL).

For extended periods of time, the cable modem goes from 5 lights on (full connectivity) to 2+1 blinking (no internet connectivity, local only).

What causes this issue? Since its cable, I thought it would be pretty reliable...

Any ideas? Anything I can do?

I have the same problem, it was installed, worked for two days, did the flashy light thing for two and a half weeks then magically started working on monday before crapping out again this afternoon.

Chances are, unless you did something to the modem, that it is an external line problem.

The advice you'll likely get is to try unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it in again. Or while the power is on, unscrew the cable coming from the wall and then put it back in, screwing it in nice and tight. The tech support person will run a modem test which means precisely nothing becase your upstream and downstream has probably bombed. If theres construction work nearby, this may be the culprit.

Call tech support, they'll do a modem check that I absolutely guarantee you will turn out to need an engineer callout, wait a week for an engineer to come out and then another ten working days if an external line check is needed. Beyond that there isn't much you can do, if the engineer doesn't come out at the allotted time you'll need to call them to reschedule another visit a few days later. They're atrocious - what they say on the phone has absolutely no relationship with what actually happens. The external line to my place was supposed to be examined yesterday and when I called today they said an appointment was logged yesterday and would be 3-5 working days before it happened (which is not to say it will be fixed at that point).

NTL are desperately unreliable, I've never encountered anything like them.

Advertisement