Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

superchip or engine remap

Options
  • 30-11-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

i have a volvo s60 t5 and was wondering how much extra power you can get from a superchip or getting your engine remapped. and does anyone know where i can get either of these done
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

moby10 wrote: »
    i have a volvo s60 t5 and was wondering how much extra power you can get from a superchip or getting your engine remapped. and does anyone know where i can get either of these done
    thanks

Superchip will do the job, Google McNamara's in Dublin 1.. check out www.superchips.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

i would say go with a remap lad, ive heard dodgy stories about superchips. can make a car overfuel and mess with the electrics etc. dont take my word for it, but i would just say make sure you resarch it well if you intend on going down the superchip route. a t5 is a sweet car with a lot of potential and ye dont wanna go wreckin it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'd get a remap ahead of a Superchip any day. Heard too many dodgy claims and stories about the chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

First of all "superchip" as a way of remapping your car is BS and nothing more than a generic term,what you are looking to do is adjust certain parameters in the ECU such as fueling,boost pressure etc etc - there are 2 ways main ways of doing this

The first method involves taking out the ECU and soldering in a new chip(usually the method used for older cars,although some new cars i think need this done too) - this is what people refer to/confuse as "Superchipping" when in fact its really just chipping! i think maybe super chipping comes form the name of a company that offers this service.

The other method of doing it is by adjusting the parameters using a pc program through the OBD (on board diagnostics port) this method reads your ecu and saves your current or default factory settings and then reflashes the ECU with an adjusted set of parameters - this is remapping.

Both methods achieve the same think,the difference will be in the level of professionalism or "cowboy-ness" in the different companies that offer the service.

You will be realistically looking at a gain of of around 35 BHP and around 60 foot pounds of torque - a side note to consider when remapping is the clutch in your car,can it handle the uprated powwer? i would imagine the clutch in the T5 will be up to the job though.Also worth considering the mileage i would never get a car remapped that had not been run in yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moby10

thanks tossy,you seem to know what your talkin about, i think remapping is the way to go,

thanks again:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

I would go for the remap - but only after researching the place I get to do it and get them to save the old settings for you just in case.

The English Old bill have loads of Volvo's - all remaped to mad bhp - I had a 850 t5 in the UK (ex cop car) and it was a lot faster than the normal t5 - was more or less the same on fuel. Would have brought it home only the VRT and Tax on her.

Advertisement