Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmore Road - Giving NTL the boot - What are the alternatives?

• 30-11-2007 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Just in work for a few mins to check messages and email. Why? NTL have let me down.. AGAIN!

I've got the usual flashing ready light so theres no signal coming into the socket at home. That or the levels are so low it cant sync properly. The TV is fine and thats coming from the same point on the wall.

Anyway.. enough is enough. Without getting a phoneline in, what are my options for broadband on the Dunmore Road?

I dont want to go the o2 mobile route because I want a decent connection coming in to my PC.

What are the other options.. if any?

See ya all on Monday! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Digiweb metro

http://www.digiweb.ie/

I use them and have had no problems. You get a phone service too with a number if you want it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I know NTL are fairly poor but have you tried ringing them and getting an engineer out?
    I had a similar problem with a weak signal and an engineer done some work to boost it and I very rarely get any downtime now.
    In saying that you've probably rang them about 10 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

JPA wrote: »
    I know NTL are fairly poor but have you tried ringing them and getting an engineer out?
    I had a similar problem with a weak signal and an engineer done some work to boost it and I very rarely get any downtime now.
    In saying that you've probably rang them about 10 times.

I've had it about two and a half years without problems. I'd make them fix it - surely it can't be much. I have a brother-in-law in Ballinakill who has it as long as I have and no problems there either. Same with a pal in Powerscourt.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Im on the Williamstown road area and Im using Digiweb metro.
    Never had any problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I think the whole broadband scene in Ireland is a lottery. I had nothing but woe from Digiweb, and happy days from NTL. Luck of the draw if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

ntl here in ballytruckle road area, honestly, if i have been down twice in a year its a lot, get an engineer out bud, and after that you can change provider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Aaaaand I'm back in the room...

Ya see.. this isnt your standard 'get the man out' problem. The connection for my whole road goes when mine goes. When you ring NTL, all the service person can do is book you a technician to come to you, who then has to see that its not a problem with my house. He then has to escalate it to the 2nd level lads who look after the box on the road. Thats a 2 week turnaround usually.

BUT.. the last two times this has happened, a threat to cancel has got it sorted in a week ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Are you using wireless by any chance? we got the standard wireless netgear box from NTL when we got the broadband in at first, after repeated problems we just gave up and ran a cable directly from the box to the PC. Bought a new netgear system from PC world a few months ago when we got a new laptop, and that's working fine, apparently the netgear box model they give you as standard had numerous problems and it was too much of a hassle to try to get it sorted out by NTL and Netgear (I just grew tired of ringing up and hearing the same ol "plug it out and plug it back in again, nothing to do with us, take it up with Netgear"), the new one we have works just fine (we're on the dunmore road too BTW).

Advertisement