Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im sick of this country

Options
  • 30-11-2007 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Just got a call from ups telling me they have my scope ( zeiss 6.5x20 50 ) i paid $954 for it including taxes and vat and ive just been told that i will have to pay €164 tax:mad: wtf is going on i bought it paid taxes on it and when it is delivered i will have to pay more tax, the government tell us to shop around and the bastards screw us with double tax when we do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

i received an order i made from a supplier in the States yesterday...it took 4 days to get here and i didnt have to pay any extra charges...that said it was all clothing gear..mite be different regulations on the governing the two...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

did ups deliver it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

UPS is the problem they charge you extra for them bringing in the product happened me the other week on clothing
    DHL are the only courier company who dont do this so ive been told it could have changed by now .i rang up UPS and told them id cancle the cheque if they didnt tell me why extra charges were on my docket when i had paid all taxes and duty thats how i found out.
    what site did u get the scope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

yeah it was UPS...they delivered it at 8.40 in the morning too!!! they delivered a scope from Italy too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

pm. wrote: »
    Just got a call from ups telling me they have my scope ( zeiss 6.5x20 50 ) i paid $954 for it including taxes and vat and ive just been told that i will have to pay €164 tax:mad: wtf is going on i bought it paid taxes on it and when it is delivered i will have to pay more tax, the government tell us to shop around and the bastards screw us with double tax when we do.

How did you pay VAT in the US? You may have paid sales tax over there, but hardly VAT. The charges that UPS are looking for are duty and the VAT is VAT charged on that duty.

Customs duty is payable on all goods from outside the EU except clothing I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Same thing happen to me a few times before :mad:

Then a dealer in the US told me that he would mark a package he was sending to me "gift". I asked why and he said I would not be charged tax then. I dont know if he was correct or not, but I did not get charged any tax for that item!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rrpc wrote: »
    How did you pay VAT in the US? You may have paid sales tax over there, but hardly VAT. The charges that UPS are looking for are duty and the VAT is VAT charged on that duty.

Customs duty is payable on all goods from outside the EU except clothing I believe.
    And there is a limit on clothing too, people i know got their suitcase searched coming home from NY, the tags were off the clothes but customs wanted them to pay tax on some of the value as they said they were bought in the states (which they were).
    Luckily they were waved through when it turned out the person behind them had a suitcase full of nothing but iphones

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Avoid UPS at all costs, they are rip off merchants. Always insist goods from America are sent USPS Priority Mail. It costs less and you get it in four to five days. If it gets caught by customs here, you will have to pay 21% VAT and duty of 5% to 6%. An Post do charge a small fee for the inconvenience but nothing to what UPS charge. UPS automatically charge you the tax and duty on goods they bring in from outside the EU and then charge you handsomely for their inconvenience.:mad:

Well that's a US store. Any sales tax you paid was US sales tax. The duty and VAT was charged by customs because you were buying from outside the EU.

It's always important to keep this in mind when buying from the US. You must assume that you will pay VAT and duty and factor it in to your calculations. If you don't get caught, then you are ahead of the game, but it's a lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

I've just purchased a Nightforce from Eurooptic, he shipped it to my brother who was on holidays in Florida, no sales tax, no vat or duty, nice.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The OP should have paid no US sales taxes as the item was exported. What US taxes did they say they were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

if you're ever getting anything from the states, make sure not to put the value on the packaging, or at least say its worth $40 instead of 900 otherwise you'll get done with this bs scam they have going with vat and customs duty etc... and you'll have your stuff ransomed back to you by those GLS scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

But do remember that you can only insure it for its declared value, so you are gambling if you choose to go this route. That and it's illegal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

When you buy stuff from the States try to get shipping by US post and our local post service will take care of delevering to your door and won't charge you some silly fees for handling etc etc.. the only thing you can hardly avoid is Brian Cowen's cut. I find this method just as relaible as courriers and unless you go for the expensive fast turnaround options just as quick.

I would agree with using USPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

im just after gettin a scope and bits and pieces from the US. sent by USPS aswell, no extra charges.:) had even been opened by irish customs, then taped back up. fingers crossed theres no surprises in the pipeline!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

UPS stung me for a COD of €60 on a $120 package back in April, it was clothing ie hunting boots, gloves, waterproof cammo, hat. The sheet stated charges for VAT, Duty and Airport handling fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What would it have cost to buy locally? Are you still getting a bargain. To own a gun you must be an adult, right? And as an adult you are surely aware you must pay taxes on imports (whether you agree with the scale of them or not), so I don't really get what your beef is - the Irish Govt are not double taxing you in the example above. In fact, I'd be interested to know how you came to pay VAT in the USA.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

macnab wrote: »
    UPS stung me for a COD of €60 on a $120 package back in April, it was clothing ie hunting boots, gloves, waterproof cammo, hat. The sheet stated charges for VAT, Duty and Airport handling fees.

The duty, you have to pay.

The VAT, you have to pay.

Tell them to go and sh**e for the handling fees. If they tell you it's for the hassle of charging you the tax then you can tell them you'll pay the revenue directly thankyouverymuch. Charging people to "help" them pay their tax is disgraceful. If they tell you it's for anything else you can inform them that you've already paid for the shipping.

In fact, if you paid €100 for the $120 package (that would be a terrible exchange rate in April - but let's be conservative) then the sums would have gone like this:

€100
    + 12% duty (estimate, see here for the correct rates)
    €112
    + 21% VAT (there may be some exempted articles, see here for details)
    €135.52
    = Total tax bill due of €35.52

which implies that they were charging you €24.48 for the privilege of handling the tax for you. If you got a better exchange rate they were taking even more!

• Advertisement

they have my scope ( zeiss 6.5x20 50 )

Frigging hell! Are you going to be shooting crows two counties away? :D

When you buy stuff from the States try to get shipping by US post and our local post service will take care of delevering to your door and won't charge you some silly fees for handling etc etc.. the only thing you can hardly avoid is Brian Cowen's cut. I find this method just as relaible as courriers and unless you go for the expensive fast turnaround options just as quick.
    not true...if you ship with regular us post your package will be hijacked by GLS (yeah never heard of them until this scam started either:rolleyes:)the logistics crowd that do the ransoming for an post.

revan23 wrote: »
    not true...if you ship with regular us post your package will be hijacked by GLS (yeah never heard of them until this scam started either:rolleyes:)the logistics crowd that do the ransoming for an post.
    They don't anymore. An Post terminated their contract ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

GLS don't work for An Post. They are a competitor and there is no relationship between them. USPS gave GLS the cntract to deliver their parcels in Ireland (and in most of Europe) a few years ago and you've all seen the results.

That stopped in Jan 2005. An Post deliver all mail for USPS here now.

If you import something from the US you are due to pay duty and VAT when it gets here. Customs do the examination and make that decision - not An Post. (Sometimes you will get away with it - yippee !!!). If not, An Post must collect the charges on behalf of Customs. They also charge a €5 charge for this which these days is hardly extortion when you consider that you can pay the postman and it's delivered to your door.

Be careful about getting stuff marked down in value so as to fool Customs that it's not expensive or that it's a gift. If the item goes missing or gets damaged then the compensation you get will only be the same as the insured or declared value.

my mistake i didnt pay tax, but having to pay the irish government €160 for nothing gets my blood boiling i all ready pay a lot of tax and when i shop around i get taking for a ride from the same people that advise the irish people to shop around, yes im an adult but im entitled to m opinion and i feel this is a rediclus tax. im not sure how much that exact scope is here but i know the 4x14x50 is €1250. below is my sales recept,

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 AO #20 Zplex Reticle Rifle Scope 899.00T
    UPS Shipping UPS Shipping Charge:
    Visit www.ups.com for tracking or cal 1 800 PICKUPS.
    1 65.00
    Distribution or resale of the items exported on the listed license are
    authorized within the country of ultimate destination only. No
    reexport is authorized without prior US government authorization.
    This permission must be obtained in writing from the Bureau of
    Export Administration.
    Export license # D386

my mistake i didnt pay tax, but having to pay the irish government €160 for nothing gets my blood boiling i all ready pay a lot of tax and when i shop around i get taking for a ride from the same people that advise the irish people to shop around, yes im an adult but im entitled to m opinion and i feel this is a rediclus tax. im not sure how much that exact scope is here but i know the 4x14x50 is €1250. below is my sales recept,

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 AO #20 Zplex Reticle Rifle Scope 899.00T
    UPS Shipping UPS Shipping Charge:
    Visit www.ups.com for tracking or cal 1 800 PICKUPS.
    1 65.00
    Distribution or resale of the items exported on the listed license are
    authorized within the country of ultimate destination only. No
    reexport is authorized without prior US government authorization.
    This permission must be obtained in writing from the Bureau of
    Export Administration.
    Export license # D386

You got it cheaper than if you'd bought it here, I can't see what your gripe is. Everyone knows that you pay duty on goods from outside the EU, it's been around for donkeys. Or did you not realise what duty-free meant?

You paid €850 for a scope worth more than a grand and you're complaining????

rrpc wrote: »
    You got it cheaper than if you'd bought it here, I can't see what your gripe is. Everyone knows that you pay duty on goods from outside the EU, it's been around for donkeys. Or did you not realise what duty-free meant?

You paid €850 for a scope worth more than a grand and you're complaining????

tbh i didnt even think about the vat, i bought several things from the us in the last 18 months and i never had to pay vat, just got a bit pi.sed off when i got a phone call from ups on friday.

having to pay the irish government €160 for nothing gets my blood boiling i all ready pay a lot of tax ...... i get taking for a ride

There's no justification for your rant. Taxes and Duties have always been due on imports. If anything, it is you who is trying to take the Irish taxpayer for a ride by trying not to pay your share.

You got a bargain, fair play to you, but don't take the p*ss.

you must be joking, why should anyone have to pay the irish government money for something that was made, sold and bought in another country? if thats the case, then why are we not forced to pay duty and vat on our luggage when we return from holidays? its ok to buy a scope or whatever and carry it back as luggage, but not to post it? hmm.....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

revan23 wrote: »
    its ok to buy a scope or whatever and carry it back as luggage, but not to post it? hmm.....

You're supposed to declare and pay tax on anything you bring back (over a certain value) from outside the EU. That's what the red and green channels are for. You are required to pay the same tax regardless of how it comes into the country.

It's just easier to evade the taxman if you carry it yourself, it doesn't make it legal.

Advertisement