Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DivX/ Xvid Support for 360

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Enable media sharing in Windows Media Player and allow the xbox to access the shares.

Savage update. Few issues with stuttering video files while streaming from the laptop wireless but grand other than that. Plays everything I've tried so far, tv shows & movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah ive done that and it sees the music but not the videos?

Never mind working now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

MiCr0 wrote: »
    can you explain further?
    this makes no sense to me :-<

most memory keys have a certain amount of space thats password protected (this is called the privacy zone) and the rest is called the public zone, you can choose how big or small you want the zones to be, if you have a file in the privacy zone your xbox wont recognise it or even prompt you to enter a password like your computer would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

most memory keys have a certain amount of space thats password protected (this is called the privacy zone) and the rest is called the public zone, you can choose how big or small you want the zones to be, if you have a file in the privacy zone your xbox wont recognise it or even prompt you to enter a password like your computer would

i've got to say i've never seen that on a usb key before.
    where is it setup?
    the usb key i have is generic fat32 formatted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

This is definitely a great step forward for microsoft.

Loving havin' my external hard drive filled with tv and movies watchable on my tv. :D

Does anybody know of a legit source for divx movies? Not that I really need it. Just wondering if there's a future for a profitable divx market. Or is it just used for encoding your owned dvd's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Does anybody know if they'll ever support NTFS file systems on removable storage?
    Pretty damn annoying having a 500GB external drive chock full of music and movies, and an xbox that won't even recognise it:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Unlikely since NTFS seeing as its a proprietary MS format. FAT has soome degree of open-source support, free of licensing fees.

Edit: Maybe MS can pay themselves to use NTFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Aye, it's understandable for the PS3 to lack NTFS support, but Microsoft's own console should have had it since launch...
    I'd much rather not have to reformat my drive as FAT32...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

me thinks its a sneaky way of trying to limit the effect of ripped\downloaded HD video content via pc . No doubt the 360 will have no problem playing 4gb+ wmv hd files you pay for and download onto the 360's hard drive.
    Streaming from a NAS\pc is the only way around it, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

koHd wrote: »
    This is definitely a great step forward for microsoft.

Loving havin' my external hard drive filled with tv and movies watchable on my tv. :D

Does anybody know of a legit source for divx movies? Not that I really need it. Just wondering if there's a future for a profitable divx market. Or is it just used for encoding your owned dvd's?

Stage6.divx.com is a video site much like Youtube owned and controlled by the Divx people themselves.

The site and the DivX web player are becoming increasingly popular due to the high quality of the files and the web players ability to support full screen mode and desktop dimming when not in full screen mode.

Another nice feature is that you can setup the DivX player to save the DivX file automatically after watching it so you can stream a file to yourself and watch it now but have it saved for later too.

I use an Archo's media player and have bought the additional plugins to get support for DivX/Xvid on the player. It is a really incredible player and I would recommend it to everyone as it doesn't require crappy software like iTunes or WMP to be used to transfer files, it just works as a HDD. The only problem I have with it is that my 360 doesn't recognise it as a HDD. I guess this could be the NTFS problem others are having. I didn't realise the 360 didn't support NTFS :confused: Even Ubuntu supports NTFS and other Linux Distro's so in a way, the PS3 does support it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I just put 20 gigs of avi`s on my cheap Commodore pcm30 and everything plays 100% through the 360.

My Freecom external hdd wont work at all cos stupid me formatted the thing in Ntfs when I first got it.Anyone know of a way to format it back to fat32 without losing all the data??
    Wouldnt mind getting this working since it outputs at 480p, 720p, 1080i.Next question is will the 360 play Hi def movies through the external drive.
    Apologies if the above question is stupid.

Still its the best update for the 360 ever--and there was me going to trade it in last week for a ps3.
    Glad I didnt now :):)

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I just put 20 gigs of avi`s on my cheap Commodore pcm30 and everything plays 100% through the 360.

Excellent!!! I just posted earlier today to the old pcm30 thread on Bargin Alerts asking about this!

Now I think i'm going to replace the pcm30's 30gb hd with a 100gb+ one as result of this stupendeous news :D

My Freecom external hdd wont work at all cos stupid me formatted the thing in Ntfs when I first got it.Anyone know of a way to format it back to fat32 without losing all the data??
    Wouldnt mind getting this working since it outputs at 480p, 720p, 1080i.Next question is will the 360 play Hi def movies through the external drive.

Still its the best update for the 360 ever--and there was me going to trade it in last week for a ps3.

There is no way to switch file systems without erasing data AFAIK. Maybe partition magic can do it.

You'll need to copy your stuff off it or burn it to DVD's and then format it.

The 360 will probably play HD content from the external as long as the transfer speed is fast enough for HD content. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't other than Ms locking it down to encourage you to rent HD movies from them or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

brim4brim wrote: »
    There is no way to switch file systems without erasing data AFAIK. Maybe partition magic can do it.

You'll need to copy your stuff off it or burn it to DVD's and then format it.

The 360 will probably play HD content from the external as long as the transfer speed is fast enough for HD content. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't other than Ms locking it down to encourage you to rent HD movies from them or something like that.
    It's true Partition Magic may be able to do this, but FAT32 is restricted to a maximum 4GB partition size, so for a larger external HD this might become cumbersome to format the HDD into so many partitions.

I'd agree, the quickest and 'most painless' way would be to burn a copy of your info and Format the disk entirely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Scruff wrote: »
    Excellent!!! I just posted earlier today to the old pcm30 thread on Bargin Alerts asking about this!

Now I think i'm going to replace the pcm30's 30gb hd with a 100gb+ one as result of this stupendeous news :D

Scruff-can the drive be chnged in the pcm 30??
    Got a guide anywhere??

Damn--maybe time to start over so!!!!
    Anyone think that maybe MS will have an update to support NTFS???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I have a 300GB drive loaded with 720p .wmv files and it plays them perfectly,

I have it formatted to HFS to so i can get passed the 4GB file limit you will get with FAT32.

WellyJ wrote: »
    I have a 300GB drive loaded with 720p .wmv files and it plays them perfectly,

I have it formatted to HFS to so i can get passed the 4GB file limit you will get with FAT32.

HFS is Mac file system and will not be read by default in windows AFAIK.

There are work arounds for this but I don't know of any of the top of my head :D

HFS is Mac file system and will not be read by default in windows AFAIK.

There are work arounds for this but I don't know of any of the top of my head :D

Macdrive,

A great little program that lets me read and write to the drive with XP.

Doesn't work with 64 bit OS's though, just a heads up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It's true Partition Magic may be able to do this, but FAT32 is restricted to a maximum 4GB partition size, so for a larger external HD this might become cumbersome to format the HDD into so many partitions.

I'd agree, the quickest and 'most painless' way would be to burn a copy of your info and Format the disk entirely.

FAT32 is not restricted to 4GB partitions. You can have a FAT32 formatted drive up to 2TB. Also there is no way to change a drive from NTFS to FAT32 without loosing data, as the whole method the drive uses to organise the file system is changed, one method doesn't understand the other method's way of accessing the data stored on the drive. (sorry for the vague and slightly unclear description, but a post is too short to go into the whole thing!)

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    FAT32 is not restricted to 4GB partitions. You can have a FAT32 formatted drive up to 2TB. Also there is no way to change a drive from NTFS to FAT32 without loosing data, as the whole method the drive uses to organise the file system is changed, one method doesn't understand the other method's way of accessing the data stored on the drive. (sorry for the vague and slightly unclear description, but a post is too short to go into the whole thing!)

Its not limited in partition size, but it cannot hold FILES that are larger than 4GB. So it is kind of useless when it comes to HD WMV movies that average 8/9GB each. Unless you want to split them up, but that is annoying.

Scruff-can the drive be chnged in the pcm 30??
    Got a guide anywhere??

Apparently it can!
    The pmc30 is just a rebranded Neuros442 and there is a guide to opening it here

Reports of success from the Neuros 442 forums

160GB PMP for less that €200 here i come :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

cheers scruff, just plugged in my PMC and its flying

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I still can't play any video content through my xbox. When I go into Videos in the media centre, all the videos I have stored on my laptop display (including thumbnails and everything), but it won't play any of them. I get the following error:-
    "Cannot Play Video
    The file type is not recognized and cannot be played. Either the correct codec (a file that compresses/decompresses audio or video) is not installed or the file is corrupt".
    I've even tried downloading a test divx file and it still won't play.
    Am I missing something? I thought this was what the update was for?
    Thanks in advance.

When you go to play the file, it should ask you to install the codec. Don't know why its not TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Nope, doesn't ask me to install anything.
    If I could install these codecs manually I would, but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Having a little problem with divx files. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I have downloaded a couple of .divx movies and trying to play them on the Xbox. When I try to stream them from the PC they do not even show up in the list of vids. I tried changing the file extension to .avi but still they cant be seen.

When I put them on a USB memory key they are not seen with the .divx extension but are when I change it to .avi. They play no problem as .avis thru the USB.

Seems very strange then that they wont stream from the PC as .avis. Anyone else come across this and find a solution?

bucks73 wrote: »
    Having a little problem with divx files. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I have downloaded a couple of .divx movies and trying to play them on the Xbox. When I try to stream them from the PC they do not even show up in the list of vids. I tried changing the file extension to .avi but still they cant be seen.

When I put them on a USB memory key they are not seen with the .divx extension but are when I change it to .avi. They play no problem as .avis thru the USB.

Seems very strange then that they wont stream from the PC as .avis. Anyone else come across this and find a solution?

What software area you using to stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Just using windows media player 11 with media sharing enabled for xbox.

• Advertisement

Maybe Windows Media Player 11 still doesn't support streaming DivX. Have you tried TVersity.

It supports way more foramts than WMP11 and should work properly.

Advertisement