Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable or ?

Options
  • 30-11-2007 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Which id better DSL or cable broadband? Heard recently that DSL is not as fast and that in some countries they are not allowed advertise DSL as 'broadband' at all

And what is meant by always on being a virus risk because you are always connected to the internet. My modem is always connected but I can disconnect the wireless connection to the computer:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

DSL and Cable both have their pros and cons. The maximum speed attainable on DSL is restricted by distance from the exchange, condition of the copper and which variant of DSL is available. Cable users can run into problems as bandwidth is shared in the immediate neighbourhood - if some of your neighbours start downloading full-tilt, your available speed may be temporarily reduced. Which one is better really depends more on your location and what's available.
    http://www.high-speed-internet-access-guide.com/dsl-vs-cable.html

Neither can come close to the speed available on fiber but fiber is expensive to roll out and not widely available in most countries.

The risk in always on is in leaving computers on and connected to the internet (perhaps unattended) for extended periods of time. Crackers are continually scanning for exploitable machines that have security holes or weak passwords. Being behind a NAT router and/or firewall and having your OS, antivirus and apps patched and up-to-date significantly reduces the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Snowbat wrote: »
    The risk in always on is in leaving computers on and connected to the internet (.

Thanks for reply and link. Am I right in thinking that when I disconnect from the moden whem leaving PC it is therefore safer. I have a etopia 2247NWG modem/router. Is that the same as a NAT router? It is for a single PC at the moment not a network

Yes the Netopia 2247NWG in default configuration is a NAT router and will protect you from a lot of attacks due to the way NAT works. Disconnecting the modem when not in use is marginally safer but personally I wouldn't bother for that reason alone - scans are so frequent that *if* there is an exploitable security hole, chances are it will be found and exploited during the time you're using it.

If your computer is hooked up on ethernet and you''re not currently using wireless for anything, I would suggest you log into your router and disable the radio until such time as you need it. When you do enable it, set up WPA encryption (WEP encryption can be cracked in minutes and is next to useless).

If your computer is hooked up on ethernet and you''re not currently using wireless for anything, I would suggest you log into your router and disable the radio until such time as you need it. When you do enable it(WEP encryption can be cracked in minutes and is next to useless).

I am currently using wireless on WEP. It requires a key

How do set up WPA encryption? Where do I get the key? ISP rep said WPA would cause problem with slower speed

How do I log in to router disable radio, in case I ever need to. Thanks

How do set up WPA encryption? Where do I get the key? ISP rep said WPA would cause problem with slower speed

How do set up WPA encryption? Where do I get the key? Got that part

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=92&E=0000000000097787315&K=3399&SXI=19&case=setupwpa&branch=4

• Advertisement

That article also explains how to log into the router and shows a checkbox beside "Enable Wireless" so that's two more.

There may be a slight impact on wireless speed with WPA enabled but it should not be noticable in normal use.

GRC.com has a random password generator: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

That article also explains how to log into the router and shows a checkbox beside "Enable Wireless" so that's two more.

There may be a slight impact on wireless speed with WPA enabled but it should not be noticable in normal use.

Yes got log in and enable wireless. Will check www.grc.com Thanks for all the help on this. Think I will change to WPA, at least now I know how!;)

I have 26 letters in my key. Do I just take any 26 from grc.The tech rep from ISP said something about the letters in my key being being only from A to G. Do you know about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You make up your own secret key like htdlDR96325FFkjsy254hFmvS

Even at slowest speed the WiFi is much faster than most broadband. Only really old routers/PCs slow down with WPA. So your ISP rep knows a little but not enough.

Above 3Mbps Broadband you want 54Mbps WiFi as the 11Mbps WiFi "maxes out" at around 3Mbps for one user. Adding an extra WiFi user is a larger slow down than WPA ever was.

I use a mix of 54Mbps and 108Mbps clients on a MIMO wifi and can achieve full BB speed over 10Mbps on WPA

watty wrote: »
    You make up your own secret key like htdlDR96325FFkjsy254hFmvS

Even at slowest speed the WiFi is much faster than most broadband. Only really old routers/PCs slow down with WPA. So your ISP rep knows a little but not enough.

Above 3Mbps Broadband you want 54Mbps WiFi as the 11Mbps WiFi "maxes out" at around 3Mbps for one user. Adding an extra WiFi user is a larger slow down than WPA ever was.

I use a mix of 54Mbps and 108Mbps clients on a MIMO wifi and can achieve full BB speed over 10Mbps on WPA

Only really old routers/PCs slow down with WPA" Mine is a Netopia 2247NWG that is not old is it?

You make up your own secret key like htdlDR96325FFkjsy254hFmvS" what is this thing about not having any letter after G, rep said from A to G?

So your ISP rep knows a little but not enough.":D:D

How do I multiquote properly?

• Advertisement

Which id better DSL or cable broadband? Heard recently that DSL is not as fast and that in some countries they are not allowed advertise DSL as 'broadband' at all

And what is meant by always on being a virus risk because you are always connected to the internet. My modem is always connected but I can disconnect the wireless connection to the computer:confused:

You can be attacked on Dialup. The Always on aspect doesn't much affect security.

Everywhere regards DSL as broadband. OECD only regards FIXED 3G as Broadband, not the mobile 3G/HSDPA. Nor would ripwave or Satellite be counted by OECD. Some people in Ireland count broadband connections differently. The alternative to Broadband is Narrowband, i.e. Basic ISDN, Analogue Dialup, GPRS etc.

A to F and 0 to 9 are for HEX keys. It's more common on WPA to use a passphrase that's converted automatically.

HEX keys on WEP have to be exactly the right size.

Select as many multiquote icons. last quote should be a regular quote button

If it has WiFi and from eircom it is not "old"

watty wrote: »
    A to F and 0 to 9 are for HEX keys. It's more common on WPA to use a passphrase that's converted automatically

So I can use any phrse for WPA
    HEX keys on WEP have to be exactly the right size.

And WPA can be any size?
    Select as many multiquote icons. last quote should be a regular quote button

OK

If it has WiFi and from eircom it is not "old"

Thanks

edit did I multiquote right?

Advertisement