Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD skeptical society

• 30-11-2007 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Would anyone be interested in the idea of a ucd skeptical society? Yes? No? Maybe?

Skep soc? 15 votes

Good idea
    0% 0 votes
    Bad idea
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Skepticism is always healthy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theleprechaun

i didn't think that anyone would vote no, so i did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I doubt it'll ever get off the ground....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Yeah I can't really see it taking off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

Why would it not take off? Im not saying it would, but why exactly do you think it would fail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

TheThing! wrote: »
    Why would it not take off? Im not saying it would, but why exactly do you think it would fail?

It would not get approved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Please tell me this is a bad attempt at sarcasm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

You might want to turn on the sarcometer for most of the replies so far! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Would anyone be interested in the idea of a ucd skeptical society? Yes? No? Maybe?
    I'd have to see it before I could believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I suppose you'd have justify to the Authorities, put together a formal proposal, etc., and I have to wonder if Skepticism alone has enough "substance"? You could make it sound more positive if you called it a Humanist Society, perhaps - advancing alternatives to superstition and the religious dominance of Irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I have my doubts about it's level of appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'd be skeptical (sorry couldnt' help it.

The Societies Board is made up of about 12 bigwigs in UCD as well a representatives of the SU, Societies and Richard Butler.

You have to be able to prove to them you can run the society in terms of cash efficiently and also prove what contribution it could make to UCD student life. Thus the idea of it may need to be expanded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I say go for it!! It can be justified on many levels; scientific, philosophical and humanist for openers.

I'd be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

WOW I CANT WAIT! Its gonna be great, I'll be sceptical about anything you want! Brilliant! So what are we being sceptical about first? Ah who cares, the whole idea's gonna be such a success it won't matter! WOO SCEPTICISM!

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i dunno ..im a bit... skeptical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Are you actually serious, OP?

I can imagine the posters if you were to have any events:
    "*Random event*: Th. L Arts 3pm, though the likelyhood of it taking place is questionable"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

karmabass wrote: »
    Are you actually serious, OP?

I can imagine the posters if you were to have any events:
    "*Random event*: Th. L Arts 3pm, though the likelyhood of it taking place is questionable"

That might not be such a bad idea, but then again it might not be a good idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Then again, are you sure it was ever an idea in the first place? Maybe the idea was planted by Hugh Brady to deceive us all.

All I know is, he ain't going to invade my brain as long as I have this hat made out of tinfoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

Right.......

You see, when I made this thread I wasn't trying to see how many times people could use the EXACT SAME JOKE! :eek: But anyway, I should have mentioned that the society would be based on scientific skepticism, as in the skepticism movement. There are societies all over the world devoted to this, even in Ireland. It is a small group at the moment but it is growing. Its purpose is to promote critical thinking and a scientific appraoch to evaluating the world around us. Its not for eveyone, but I think there could be a decent following in UCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I'd be skeptical (sorry couldnt' help it.

The Societies Board is made up of about 12 bigwigs in UCD as well a representatives of the SU, Societies and Richard Butler.

You have to be able to prove to them you can run the society in terms of cash efficiently and also prove what contribution it could make to UCD student life. Thus the idea of it may need to be expanded.

I wouldnt go through the hassle. But Im sceptical for other reasons not just thread induced humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Join PhilSoc, save yourself the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I'd join

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

scop wrote: »
    Join PhilSoc, save yourself the hassle.
    Thought about that before, but no thanks. I'd need to be a Philosophy student, so I could study the language of Philosophy, before I could engage in any Dialectics. I'd be as much use in one of your elevated discussions as Mary Harney in a discussion on Sports Nutrition. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

You don't have to be a Philosophy student. And a lot of members aren't too into the language of philosophy anyway. My only advice is that building a society from scratch should only be attempted when there is no other option. If you feel thats the case then go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is it really that much of an ordeal to start a society?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smashysmash

believe me its not bloody worth it, so much hassle and effort, if there is one going that could tailor to your needs go for that over starting afresh,
    1st hand experience in the other department, fun times....

Advertisement