Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be a good value for money gaming rig?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

That would play games all the games you wanted bar crysis fairly well for the next year or so! Crysis is a massive hog I was managing 50 -60 fps on my rig in my sig everything on high but then again you probably have a small monitor so it should be better if not the same on lower settings..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That looks like a good rig - I don't like the sonata personally though and would buy case/PSU seperately.

Couple of points I'd make:-

-Komplett is very overpriced tbh especially on GFX, go for hardwareversand.de (can't fault them after buying contents of my sig).
    -Go for a samsung HDD too, from what I hear theyre outperforming even Raptors for the same money as a caviar.
    -If budget allows, upgrade proc to Q6600 (+ ~€60) and add in a DVD-ROM drive (+ ~€20), having two opticals is always handy. :)

If you want to stay Irish Dabs seem to have slightly cheaper prices to Komplett - but realistically, continental EU is the best value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    and add in a DVD-ROM drive (+ ~€20), having two opticals is always handy. :)

:rolleyes: Yep, great idea, I set rom on region 1 (USA) & leave the burner on region Europe. Very handy as my sis (in NY) sends my mam dvd's she cant watch. Also you can copy from disk 2 disk with 2 drives :D Worth the extra 20e IMHO.

Rig looks good m8, good value. Antec is usually a good quality psu, will be fine.

About hardwareversand.de, they ok if you dont mind wating for few weeks for your parts, dont accept cc tho, bank transfer only. I'd go with komplett as if you have a problem & need to rma something you'll be guaranteed it asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 JmcG

Thanks very much for the fast replies, they have been really helpful :-)

I have used komplett for years but didn't realize (until now) they had got so expensive.
    Dabs seems like a much better alternative so I reckon I'll get most of the components from them:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, P35, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, ICH9, PCI-Ex16
    OCZ Technology 2x1GB 240DIMM PC2-6400 DDR2 Platinum
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz S775
    Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S203B, 20x, Dual, Black, SATA
    Samsung DVDROM 16x Internal SATA Black - Drive Only
    Samsung 500GB S300 16MB 7200RPM
    XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB DDR3 PCIE Dual DVI TV 600/1.8
    OCZ Technology StealthXStream 600W Active PFC

I spent a good while researching cases and decided to stick with Antec as I've never had any trouble with them.
    The Antec Solo stuck out as being a great all round case with good out of the box cooling and minimum noise levels so thinking of getting that from elara:

Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower Case No PSU

All of the above works out in the 900-1000 price range which is perfect.

I hope to upgrade my monitor at some point but will initially be using a Samsung SyncMaster 940BW so no complaints. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

JmcG wrote: »

Not worth the extra few quid for the 640? There seems to be relatively little in between them pricewise (the 670 is way more) but a big difference in speed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 JmcG

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Not worth the extra few quid for the 640? There seems to be relatively little in between them pricewise (the 670 is way more) but a big difference in speed?

Good point, thanks, the 640 xfx card definitely seems like better value so I'm probably get that (just hope it's in stock when I finally order all the components)

Advertisement