Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants Rights

Options
  • 30-11-2007 8:51pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Out of curiosity, what rights to tenants have when it comes to getting the landlord to fix items broken in the house? Such as a lock on the door that only works from the inside?

Also, a friend of mine was heading out to town and had music playing one night at around 11PM before she left for the night. She turned it off when the neighbours started banging on the wall. At 8AM the next day, the landlord called and apparently gave her an earful for playing music to loud. She apparently gave the neighbours her number to call if there was any trouble.

I think its fairly acceptable, if the music was loud and if it was being played late. Just curious though, when are they allowed play music loud (not thumping loud, you know the volume that comes out of your average CD Player!)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My lease specifies no music or tv to be played loudly after 10PM at night (you can hear conversations from next door without trying very hard- the insulation between the houses is non-existent). Depending on where a CD player was situated, it could be causing a serious nuisance even if it was not on too loud.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So its a lease thing? I would of assumed its more in a law considering they can call the guards for playing loud music!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

There is a law and you can contact the Council for help with enforcing it - however they will expect you to first try resolving the issue by talking to your neighbours (or the neighbouring landlord).

When I had this problem with neighbours who had regular all-night raves resulting in me being awoken every Sunday morning at 5 to THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP :mad: I found that an anonymous letter addressed to the landlord and threatening to take the matter further worked a charm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So the impression im getting is its in the contract, and there is nothing specific..

Can a landlord boot you out for playing loud music even if its not in contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Sully wrote: »
    Yes. If you continue to disturb your neighbours and they continue to hassle the landlord and even call the Gárdaí to the scene, your anti-social behaviour will lead your receiving marching orders at very short notice.

You got to remember a lot of apartments/flats have very poor noise insulation and people's tolerance for the constant THUD THUD of techno music is very low.
    They also have to work, some may even work unusual shifts and need sleep. also after a long day at work the last thing you want to hear is THUD THUD THUD at 128 BPM.

Third party complaints of anti-social behaviour in the private residential tenancy sector

Example of a Letter Required by the PRTB to be Issued by a Landlord to the Tenants in the case of a Complaint by a Third Party of Landlord Failure to enforce the Tenant Obligation not to Engage in Anti-Social Behaviour

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sully wrote:
    So the impression im getting is its in the contract, and there is nothing specific..

When I said Lease- I meant an owners 900 year lease- where it specifies (in my lease) what are considered unsocial hours when televisions/radios etc should be kept on low volume.

Most certainly a landlord can boot you out for playing loud music, even if its not in the contract. The landlord can be sued him/herself for your loud music, under either the original purchase lease or any of several different environmental protection acts (which also cover noise pollution). The fact that it is not implicitly stated in your contract that you cannot play music at 11PM at night is irrelevent- the person concerned should, as they are living in an apartment, exercise due care not to disturb their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

As far as i remember there is a law that covers this - it relates to noise pollution after 10pm at night.

Although a neighbour can complain to the police at any time. I had a neighbour who called the police over us playing music at 2pm (not particularly loudly) in the afternoon. Police came around to warn us about it.

Advertisement