Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menu System for forums

Options
  • 30-11-2007 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Before I begin - apologies if this has been requested before.

The quick menu on the top of the screen is really creeking under the amount of forums boards has these days, at times it takes me 20/30 seconds to find a forum i want to read that i haven't subsribed to. There are just too many sub meus to look through that could have waht you want in some cases.

I would really like to see a feature on top of all boards pages that is something like osx's spotlight or the searcbox on the top right here : http://blog.liip.ch/ (if you havn't used such a search before try typing in a search and see what happens). This shouldn't be to much of a resource hog on boards if all you can use the search for is finding forums. <3
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Yup we know the menu system is less than ideal for the number of forums and not everyone can figure out why things go where they do, eg why is the Star Terk forum under arts:)
    or the searcbox on the top right here : http://blog.liip.ch/ (if you havn't used such a search before try typing in a search and see what happens).

I just tried it and am not sure what sort of result I was expecting, but it came up with a link to boardstock.ch and a picture - (not hyperlinked) so not immediatly useful. Can you recommend a search that would demonstate what you mean.

We welcome any feedback and opinion on how to improve the navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think he means something like OS X's Spotlight, the search feature demonstrated in the first few seconds or this clip:

Thats a great idea, although might be an idea to have it alongside the existing menu system (which is nice for idle browsing, especially for newcomers) instead of replacing it. The search query should be carried out client-side so the results could appear in a drop-down box instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Great idea, this is a link to a good ajax example [demo] - using countries as an example. For example you would type "Ga" and a list would drop down saying "Galway", "Games", Game Reviews", "GAA". But if you continued and typed "Gambling" you would have only the gambling forum link in the results box. I've needed that kind of search box for a while actually.

One for the soon-to-be boards developer?!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think he means something to a better extent than when you type a name into the username box here. Example to see what I mean, type in: the

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

the_syco wrote: »
    I think he means something to a better extent than when you type a name into the username box here. Example to see what I mean, type in: the

Are you sure thats not autofill kicking in for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Ah go one somebody code this! it ant be that difficult! I'll try it myself after my exams. (note - i have absolutely no idea how to go about it, other then google)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

krazy_8s wrote: »
    Are you sure thats not autofill kicking in for you?
    No its not autofill, its vbulletins ajax stuff kicking in. Fantastic stuff ajax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

çrash_000 wrote: »
    No its not autofill, its vbulletins ajax stuff kicking in. Fantastic stuff ajax :D

The cleaning solution? Nothing gets down better in the nether regions I agree. Thats what I was expecting when they had that ad that started with "Your home smell like fish?"

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sounds good, if someone wrote one for vB I'm sure we'd use it and they could sell it world wide no doubt, because its a common flaw in vB that its forums interface is not built for big boards like us and others...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

to be honest it wouldnt even need to be fully integrated with vB - having a small spotlight like script that could even just interface nicely with the vB layout, and simply called off a text file which had "board name | link" would work quite nicely.

course, getting it to fit nicely into vB would probably be the biggest pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Truckle - cracking idea.
    çrash_000 wrote: »
    to be honest it wouldnt even need to be fully integrated with vB - having a small spotlight like script that could even just interface nicely with the vB layout, and simply called off a text file which had "board name | link" would work quite nicely.

course, getting it to fit nicely into vB would probably be the biggest pain in the arse.

There's probably enough space to the right of the existing menu to put in a small text box.

This may not be that hard to implement (famous last words, I know) - but the JavaScript for the DHTML menu probably already has all the details this should need.

OMGZ! You did it!
    <3 Cult

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yay!

Turns out its just on the blue skin, and has been for ages. 0_o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Boo!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

But you get a free froghurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

CuLT wrote: »
    But you get a free froghurt.
    You mean I can stop paying those frog hurting groups? Happy day!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Turns out its just on the blue skin, and has been for ages. 0_o
    What do you care? You're sitebanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

OMGZ! You did it!
    <3 Cult

Aren't you banned ?

Am I?

• Advertisement
Advertisement