Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of the oul phoneline.

Options
  • 30-11-2007 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My friend wants to get rid of his phone line and just use skype from now on instead.

He's currently with UTV on the package that gives free national calls and has 1mb BB with them too I think. Is it possible for him to get rid of his landline altogether and just have broadband? Broadband needs to be always on, at least 1mb and at least 10gb cap. If he has no phoneline, would it need to be a wireless option?

He's in Dun Laoghaire so hopefully that gives him some choice. Would appreciate any advice with this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

He would need fibre, Digiweb Metro, Fixed Wireless or Cable (NTL) etc. Any DSL broadband needs a phone line and even if not making phone calls somewhere the line rental (26 Euro) will be included. LLU alternatives on phone have eircom wholesale 17 Euro rental hidden as unlike some other countries an ISP can't buy or lease the line, but has to rent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ok thanks, so his only options are Digiweb Metro, NTL or Fixed Wireless (who offers this?)

Once he gets one of the above, he can cancel the phone line completely and just use broadband from then on?

Which would you suggest out of the above?

Also, is there any way to avoid the installation fee of Digiweb? What exactly is the thing you get off digiweb? Is it like the 3G small modems that simply connect to their own network or something since it doesn't connect through a phone line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

NTL cable won't need any additional equipment installed on the house (unless he doesn't have cable). The others will need a small transmitter installed on the chimney / side of house.

Thanks for the info. He's renting, so is this going to be complicated (i.e. drilling holes in the chimney or walls etc) or can it just be stuck up with blue tac :D

He has NTL, but he's also thinking of getting rid of that too I think. So would that no longer be an option or would it be ok since it's all set up and ready?

I think he just wants the cheapest 1mb/10gb always on option. It must be a good service too as a drop in connection could lose him a few quid (online poker player).

So just imagine he moved into a brand new house with only a plug for his laptop, and all he wants is the cheapest 1mb/10gb cap broadband :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cormie wrote: »
    Ok thanks, so his only options are Digiweb Metro, NTL or Fixed Wireless (who offers this?)

Hi options may not be any of these, it depends on what's available to him. Even having NTL television is no guarantee of broadband availability as it's not available to all TV subscribers.

The fixed wireless options need an aerial to be installed, he'll likely need landlord permission before putting this up. If it's an apartment he's in then he might not even be allowed to do this as a lot of management companies forbid aerial installment.
    So just imagine he moved into a brand new house with only a plug for his laptop, and all he wants is the cheapest 1mb/10gb cap broadband
    Everything depends on where that house is. Sounds like he wants Digiweb Metro Lite (1M with 10G cap), this involves a fixed aerial on the house and will need line of sight to the mast and be within about 10-15km of the mast.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, so even with Digiweb, he'll be needing landlord/management co's permission to put that aerial up? Or is the digiweb aerial a bit different? So the antenna connects to the mast through the airwaves, but then how does his computer connect to the antenna? Will a wire need to be put through the wall or will a modem connect to it, that my friend will then connect to (through ethernet or wifi?).

Also, if the antenna is on the roof of a 4 story building, and he's on the ground floor, how will that effect speeds and signal do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The antenna connects from the aerial to the computer through an Ethernet cable. If it's a 4 story building (an apartment block I guess) then he'll almost certainly need permission before putting up any kind of aerial. I don't think running the cable down the entire building will be an option. If his side of the building faces the mast then maybe it could be mounted outside his window.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sometimes the aerial is fine bolted to a balcony.

Ok thanks :)

Is it possible to cancel NTL TV service and just go with their BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

cormie wrote: »
    Ok thanks :)

Is it possible to cancel NTL TV service and just go with their BB?

yes, but i think there is a surcharge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement