Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

argos strike?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 favouritemistak

Hey there, just wanted to thank everyone who supported argos workers today by not shopping at argos. Standing in the freezing cold and rain for hours really makes you appreciate everyone who takes the time to stop and ask what it is we are on strike for and then make their mind up.
    Turning up today to picket to discover english argos employees working during a one day strike was absolutely sickening. I think most staff in ALL stores understood why the parttime temporary seasonal workers went into work today, although it is important to realise that not all of them did, alot were on the pickets with us. However Imagining the cost of flying over english staff for two nights, putting them up in hotels, paying them double time, and covering all their expenses just to avoid a measly .90cent an hour was disgusting.
    Argos have already paid us in line with the national pay agreement despite knowing staff voted against this- wanting to continue the agreement with mandate, so realistically we are not looking at a 10percent pay increase, but rather 10percent minus what they've already paid out (about 4or5percent)Argos is a highly profitable company that can well afford to invest in their staff. I'm not saying that working in argos is slave labour or especially difficult, but we do work damn hard and have earned this pay increase. If you look at the cost of livng in this country, the fact that we are facing higher taxes, higher inflation rates and higher rental costs etc, then it makes sense that low paid workers should get a higher wage. And what is the point of a social partnership if it doesn't benefit the low paid workers! I understand why people would say just get a better job but I actually like working at argos. And realistically thats not always an option...a giant retailer like argos paying their staff more fairly -for us is the best option right now.
    I really hope the public can support us through this strike. By no means are we trying to cripple a country, buisness or undermine a social partnership. Argos have been negotiating pay rises with Mandate since 2000 and then just put us in the national pay agreement. By investing in their staff argos are investing in their company.
    I'm appalled at the supposed behaviour of some of the unions reps and whanot at that store, and I can assure ppl that it was NOT the case in the MAJORITY of stores. Trying to undremine staff who striked today as clueless parttimers lacking any sort of understanding is ridiculous. This pay dispute has been going on since 2006 and its a terrible shame that it came to strike! Having attended all the union meetings and argos meetings, I can say for sure that there are many informed argos staff who feel that what we are trying to do is fair.Claiming that argos is more competitive than all other stores is a sham and I can only assume that you have in fact never bothered to check current rates in other highstreet stores. I believe Tesco has negotiated outside the national pay agreement to give their employees a fairer wage! Argos stores consist of the management team(store manager, sales support, stock manager and customer services manager) team leaders(jewellery, salesfloor, and stock) and then customer advisors getting two promotions puts you in management!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you look at the cost of livng in this country, the fact that we are facing higher taxes, higher inflation rates and higher rental costs etc, then it makes sense that low paid workers should get a higher wage.
    But surely the purpose of the NWA is to control inflation. If everyone started getting paid larger increases, outside the NWA, then we'd push inflation up further and enter a vicious circle.
    Argos have been negotiating pay rises with Mandate since 2000 and then just put us in the national pay agreement. By investing in their staff argos are investing in their company.
    To a point they are. They have to work out the trade off - pay an increase across the board or risk losing their staff. If the staff can be readily replaced and their skillset easily picked up, then it can make sense for them to keep to their current pay practices.

"Working hard" in and of itself isn't a justification for a pay increaes - plenty of people work hard. If you're being paid less than others are for a comparable job, then it's easier to understand your point and perhaps have a bargaining position. Otherwise it seems more untenable to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

I would not cross the picket. Paying 9euro an hour is grand for somebody who started working there recently or only a short time ago. But for adults who work there full time and for many years, 9euro an hour just isnt enough money to raise a family and pay the bills etc.

i have worked in argos for 2 years. I understand how frustrating it is for the long time serving staff there, their pay packets are a laughing stock.

But the vast majority of our store are young school goers or college students. And argos has the most competitive rate.

I had a bust up with management and wanted to leave, but nowhere could match my pay packet.

I'm not in the union and was in work today, and if i didnt show i would have gotten in trouble so...it was a hard tough choice but was only one winner.

WE did have staff come in from England to help us out.

I think what people need to understand, and our union members are very ignorant to this fact. Argos has its own wage rise scheme. The labour court is there for a reason.... mandates claim for a pay rise was rejected.

Argos is a VERY low skilled job imo. Within 7 months of me being in the company id being given two promotions to the highest position of non management staff and had won out over some staff who had being working in argos over 10 years! Pay for long term staff are poor, but the vast majority of our staff are part time evening weekend workers or temp staff, and for such a low skilled job, i can easily see why they get poor pay.

Strikes are meant to exert pressure on the business to force their hand in matters, today, in our store, we ran smooth and had a profitable day, and most people did not take note of the picket lane, which i have to say i felt for them.

But santa doesnt go on strike and people need things this time of year.

I was very offended though this morning by the actions of union reps. I was going into work and i stopped and apologised to the staff there on the picket line, but they understood my situation. But there was a rep from the union there who got VERY lippy with me very quickly, and with other members of staff. Did not appreciate his tone at all, very ignorant to other peoples situations.

My bils wont say sorry heres an extension cause you were on strike : /

And when i left after my shift ( for argos workers Ed deliveries where today, 12 big cardboard boxes of jewellry) i was confronted by PART-TIME staff who had joined the picket later in the evening. When i asked the two girls what they were striking for they replied" ugh duh more money" And then I replied " you do know that this place has the best wage in the whole centre, or the area for that matter for the amount of hours you work, this strike is for full time staff who get **** money, so stop shouting and insulting me you ( slanderous language) and get a ****ing clue"

Clearly ive lost the favor of two colleagues :P

You can make a good career out of argos, there is good opportunities to go into management and above store level. But these people really want more money for sitting on their behind all day. The people pickiting in my store today, are the most inefficent, ignorant, rude and ill mannered people in the store,hypocrites and two faced. One of them even felt that this strike and the union also stood for the defence of irish workers being put out of jobs by foreigners and how hard it is for young irish people to get jobs because of foreigners.

The top and I mean top workers ive met in argos ( ive visited 3 stores and helped work in 4) are all foreigners. If I had to name the top 5 workers in my store, 3 of them are foreign.

For the record coming from an argos employee, who DID work full time for a period of 7 months at one stage, am very happy with my current wages ( even after getting cut €1.10 last week ) and I feel I was rewarded with pay increases and promotions for the hard work i put in.

As a fellow argos worker I do sorta feel sorry for you right now. I mean, to be working with sooo many inefficient, ignorant, rude and illmannered staff must be quite the trial all year round!

I'd also like ppl to be aware that our *forreign* workers were also on strike today...with their Irish workers! All argos workers are entitled to join a trade union and alot of our *forreign* workers have opted to do that with some translating for ppl on the picketlines.

I dont have a clue which argos store you are working in but I can only assume from your reprehensible comments that it isn't a very pleasant place to work if you think so little of your coworkers! For me to claim that all argos workers are for this strike would be a lie, but what I can tell you is that a few of my fellow argos workers who went to work today felt no ill will towards us picketing! And finally, I'm glad you pointed out the simple fact that yes you can make a good career out of argos and yes there are opportunities for ppl to progress through the company. I'd also like to add that some of the people picketing today are people who are *trying* to make good careers out of argos, they'd just like a fairer wage for their efforts. I can also assure you that not *all* of the ppl picketing today are lazy people who sit on their behinds all day! By no means does that mean that there weren't lazy ppl on the picketlines, but I can speak for myself and my fellow workers at my store when I say that, no...We are not lazy or people who sit on their behinds doing nothing. Our presence was missed in stores today and we are grateful to our managers for acknowledging that. We're not quite so easily replaced!

ixoy wrote: »
    But surely the purpose of the NWA is to control inflation. If everyone started getting paid larger increases, outside the NWA, then we'd push inflation up further and enter a vicious circle.

To a point they are. They have to work out the trade off - pay an increase across the board or risk losing their staff. If the staff can be readily replaced and their skillset easily picked up, then it can make sense for them to keep to their current pay practices.

"Working hard" in and of itself isn't a justification for a pay increaes - plenty of people work hard. If you're being paid less than others are for a comparable job, then it's easier to understand your point and perhaps have a bargaining position. Otherwise it seems more untenable to me.

I'd agree that the purpose of the NWA is to help control inflation, which is why I don't think we should be in it to begin with. I think Argos should not have pulled out of the yearly pay reviews with Mandate until they were more competetivie! They are only ranked 12th on the ibec index and I think they can afford to pay their staff more competetively considering their profits. I suppose, if I didn't beleive this, i wouldn't be on strike.
    I believe in worker solidarity and really think we are being fair here.
    I understand your postition though and thats fair enough. Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

so realistically we are not looking at a 10percent pay increase, but rather 10percent minus what they've already paid out (about 4or5percent)
    If you look at the cost of livng in this country, the fact that we are facing higher taxes, higher inflation rates and higher rental costs etc

If everybody thought along those lines we'd have inflation running at 10% and multinational companies leaving in droves. The way the economy is going at the moment you should feel lucky to have a job. There are plenty of immigrants who would accept your job and the conditions in 2 seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

It's not like the workers
    have a non-transferable skill-set; a till is a till regardless of store/employer.

have to 100% agree, two years ago I was in a very low paid job (hotel porter) but I went and found a new higher paid job.
    eth0_ wrote: »
    Where is it written that profitable companies should share their profits by awarding their employees a pay rise?

It's not fair but Argos in my mind aren't doing anything wrong, they're paying more than minimum wage for a non-skilled job.

again very valid point which I would agree with

At the end of the day as other posters have said Argos are actually sticking to the national pay agreement which has been fully supported by the labour court. Dunnes Stores for example pay a starting rate equal to Argos but you do not see them going on strike citing the reasons given by Argos staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

micmclo wrote: »
    After seven years and high turnover of staff you should be a manager by that stage
    Why stay on the shop floor for seven years? :confused:

And yip, I'd have no problems passing a picket.

I was in school and in college so I was only part time, but did work there full time for a year when I failed 2nd year. I was on the shop floor quite a bit of the time, but mainly I ran the cash office, and I did manage the store on a few occasions when no member of management could/would do it. I didnt get any remuneration for it either. The money in Argos is fine if you're in school/college but when I was working full time, the only time of year I was paid well was Xmas, because I worked 6 days a week. Personally speaking, conditions would've been my issue with the place rather than money. But my full time co-workers would have issues with both. I would dread trying to pay a mortgage on an argos wage.

At my old store, the full time staff were the only ones striking, as the part timers (all school/college students) arent in the union. The union rep wasnt in any way being heavy handed - just handing out leaflets. The store was pretty empty for a saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm only talking about my store :P

And our store has till/stockroom co-ordinators, they are a level below team leaders.

I do support my colleauges around the country, I just found our picket line to be embarassing and frustrating. In my family there is a strong history of union representation going back to my grandfathers, and although im not in this union, i was kinda dissapointed that some of our staff looked at it as a day off.

and most of the "ful time" staff who this whole thing is for, didnt show up, poor imo.

I think the problem i have with my store is that im not in a "click". I couldnt be any further opposite then a brown nose :P im not going to go into massive detail etc, but my store has alot of two faced people and alot of **** stirring, alot of people do things for their own gains.

Example, our union reps and talkback reps like a cartel, one woman,her son, his best friend, and the womans number one lick arse colleague. They have a complete control on what filters through management.

Anyway.

Apologies to Argos staff for me crossing the lines today but couldnt do anything else. I hope the full time staff out there get a better deal then the one they are getting now.
    And fair play to those who did a proper strike, not like my store workers who were an embarassesment to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

All the full time staff here did show up, which was pretty good, despite the appalling weather and the fact that none of them were rostered to work. I never even got to till coordinator level...in fact my store got rid of the "co ordinator" grade so the manager wouldnt have to pay the extra stipend for it. I never even got the cash office allowance. Saying that whenever the managers kid was sick and they couldnt come to work I was expected to open/close the store and deal with any issues that arose. So glad I left there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Example, our union reps and talkback reps like a cartel, one woman,her son, his best friend, and the womans number one lick arse colleague. They have a complete control on what filters through management.

Just curious, who elected them? Is this just a personal opinion or is it widespread? If the latter then get rid of them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Those who pass pickets are scabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Red Alert wrote: »

In your opinion.

Anyone who passed a picket did nothing wrong. There is no law against it, nor is there any moral duty to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Utter rubbish. If you don't support their cause you are perfectly entitled to pass their picket. There are too many fscking strikes in this country!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Folk should remember that the main reason we have strong workers rights (inl for those not represented by Unions) is because of the Union movement - either in response to Union agitation or as a method of reducing their power.

So all of you who get overtime or extra bobs for working on Sundays or indeed teabreaks should remember that you're not getting them out of the goodness of your employers heart.

However Uniosn are being perceived as un-necessary and this must have soemthing to do with the fact that if people have a grievance it is often easier for them to get another job. Don't forget that for the majority of our economic history going off to get another job wasn't an option and its during those periods that employers can certainly "ride" their employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

ambman wrote: »
    AND PEOPLE WHO PASS PICKETS TO GO TO WORK IN FRONT OF THERE WORK MATES ARE SCAB'S
    luckat wrote: »
    I'm sickened to hear that people would pass pickets put by working people to get an increase on a miserable wage. Perhaps your day will come, matey, and you'll see it from the other side.

And those who strike for no good reason are nothing but a shower of knackers. Cross that picket? I'd charge straight through it.

Well paid workers trying to bully their employers for even more money! My god, this country has gone to the dogs. Everyone who was on that picket deserves a kick up the ass if they think a starting wage of $9 an hour (for a basic-skilled job) is worth striking over. If it's so bad why not leave and get a job that pays more (or are you too lazy?)
    ambman wrote: »
    BROWN NOSER.
    With an attitude like this. I can see why you're the type who supports these commie strikes. I can't believe you are publicly insulting a person for saying that they work hard and are happy with their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Hey there, just wanted to thank everyone who supported argos workers today by not shopping at argos. Standing in the freezing cold and rain for hours really makes you appreciate everyone who takes the time to stop and ask what it is we are on strike for and then make their mind up.
    Turning up today to picket to discover english argos employees working during a one day strike was absolutely sickening. I think most staff in ALL stores understood why the parttime temporary seasonal workers went into work today, although it is important to realise that not all of them did, alot were on the pickets with us. However Imagining the cost of flying over english staff for two nights, putting them up in hotels, paying them double time, and covering all their expenses just to avoid a measly .90cent an hour was disgusting.
    Argos have already paid us in line with the national pay agreement despite knowing staff voted against this- wanting to continue the agreement with mandate, so realistically we are not looking at a 10percent pay increase, but rather 10percent minus what they've already paid out (about 4or5percent)Argos is a highly profitable company that can well afford to invest in their staff. I'm not saying that working in argos is slave labour or especially difficult, but we do work damn hard and have earned this pay increase. If you look at the cost of livng in this country, the fact that we are facing higher taxes, higher inflation rates and higher rental costs etc, then it makes sense that low paid workers should get a higher wage. And what is the point of a social partnership if it doesn't benefit the low paid workers! I understand why people would say just get a better job but I actually like working at argos. And realistically thats not always an option...a giant retailer like argos paying their staff more fairly -for us is the best option right now.
    I really hope the public can support us through this strike. By no means are we trying to cripple a country, buisness or undermine a social partnership. Argos have been negotiating pay rises with Mandate since 2000 and then just put us in the national pay agreement. By investing in their staff argos are investing in their company.
    I'm appalled at the supposed behaviour of some of the unions reps and whanot at that store, and I can assure ppl that it was NOT the case in the MAJORITY of stores. Trying to undremine staff who striked today as clueless parttimers lacking any sort of understanding is ridiculous. This pay dispute has been going on since 2006 and its a terrible shame that it came to strike! Having attended all the union meetings and argos meetings, I can say for sure that there are many informed argos staff who feel that what we are trying to do is fair.Claiming that argos is more competitive than all other stores is a sham and I can only assume that you have in fact never bothered to check current rates in other highstreet stores. I believe Tesco has negotiated outside the national pay agreement to give their employees a fairer wage! Argos stores consist of the management team(store manager, sales support, stock manager and customer services manager) team leaders(jewellery, salesfloor, and stock) and then customer advisors getting two promotions puts you in management!!

Bringing in the English staff was a lot cheaper than giving in to your ridiculous demands. If Argos were to give in now, what next? in January you go on strike because you want a personal masseuse? or leather chairs for the till operators? If Argos had treated you badly and/or were paying you badly, then maybe Argos would feel that there's room for a compromise. But when you they are already paying you well and you are demanding more, they have to think of you like a spoiled child and they will not back down.

You think Tesco pays more? Fine, I believe they're hiring at the moment (in fact, I think they're always looking for hard-working, motivated people). Drop in your CV to the manager tomorrow morning. You see? The fact that you all still want to work for Argos just shows how good you know you have it there.
    I'd agree that the purpose of the NWA is to help control inflation, which is why I don't think we should be in it to begin with. I think Argos should not have pulled out of the yearly pay reviews with Mandate until they were more competetivie! They are only ranked 12th on the ibec index and I think they can afford to pay their staff more competetively considering their profits. I suppose, if I didn't beleive this, i wouldn't be on strike.
    I believe in worker solidarity and really think we are being fair here.
    I understand your postition though and thats fair enough. Take care.

You accept the NWA is to control wild inflation, and that that's the reason you should be excluded? WTF?
    Just how special do you think you are? Would you like some slaves while your at it? You believe everyone else should be happy with what they have, but you deserve more?

What Ibec Index are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Went past Argos in Agos in Athlone yesterday and was surprised to see the
    amount of people in shopping. All the staff looked around 17/18. There was only
    about 4 people on the picket (I didnt pass) and they seemed to be busy
    chatting and laughing with each other to notice if people were going in or not.

Went in today to get the things I was gonna get yesterday but couldnt even
    get into the shop with the crowds in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

This is fuppin hilarious. A bunch of low skilled workers arguing that they should get more than the minimum wage.

Why ? You are doing a job that a trained chimp could manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

If you strikers think you have it bad, check out the United States minumum wage (minumum wage differs by state) and convert it into Euro.

New York (expensive state) minimum wage is $7.15 = €4.88
    Oklahoma minimum wage is $5.85 = €4
    http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

While the US is not a fair comparison with Ireland, the UK certainly is.

In the UK the minimum wage is as follows
    £5.52 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older - €7.75
    £4.60 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive - €6.46
    £3.40 per hour for all workers under the age of 18 - €4.77
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/

Its no wonder that Ireland isn't attractive to international companies,

"IDA Ireland lobbied computer manufacturer Lenovo about locating its main European manufacturing facility in Ireland, but ultimately lost out to Poland."
    http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=28738-qqqx=1.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I am a member of a retail union and I do appreciate what they do. However, I think in this case they really are pushing it.

Those calling people scabs need a reality check. What they are getting is not bad enough to strike over. And it is even worse to strike over not being given a better deal than the national agreements the rest of us work under. Why do Argos workers deserve a better deal than others in the agreement? It could seem greedy to others and then for the greedy ones to label others as scabs...not doing yourselves any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is Argos the only place that sells Christmas trees? :eek:

Of course not, but it's the only place that sold the one me and my boyfriend liked. Plus, why should I worry about passing a picket when I get paid crap wages for what I do and don't go out on strike??

Argos are the best paid workers in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre. That should tell you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

There was a time in this country when trade unions played a very important role and to a lesser degree still does in certain sectors (the irish ferries saga comes to mind). You cant have your cake and eat it, there is a vehicle in place for trade disputes and it is usually spot on with its decisions. The public will have genuine sympaty for a strike if they think there is merit behind the causes for the strike, calling people names and intimidating people who express an opinion different to yours just shows how immature you really are and only furthers the case that you are indeed the one who has issues...

In this great country you have a right to strike but you do not have a right to expect everyone to agree with your principles. My own personal opinion is that I would respect your right to strike but would have passed the picket if I was out shopping....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I agree that for students or young people without mortgage or family commitments Argos are probably the best payers for unskilled workers.

However, i feel there should be some sort of pay related "perks" for service preformance and length of service. At the very least long term employed should get a yearly review of their salary regardless of how skilled their job is percieved to be. Employers i feel should reward loyal, timely, helpful, efficient staff who are exceptional at thier job. This would also give Argos a good opportunity to let the not so good staff know where they stand.

As for passing picket, not something i would be happy about doing myself.

I'm only talking about my store :P

And our store has till/stockroom co-ordinators, they are a level below team leaders.

I do support my colleauges around the country, I just found our picket line to be embarassing and frustrating. In my family there is a strong history of union representation going back to my grandfathers, and although im not in this union, i was kinda dissapointed that some of our staff looked at it as a day off.

and most of the "ful time" staff who this whole thing is for, didnt show up, poor imo.

I think the problem i have with my store is that im not in a "click". I couldnt be any further opposite then a brown nose :P im not going to go into massive detail etc, but my store has alot of two faced people and alot of **** stirring, alot of people do things for their own gains.

Anyway.

Apologies to Argos staff for me crossing the lines today but couldnt do anything else. I hope the full time staff out there get a better deal then the one they are getting now.
    And fair play to those who did a proper strike, not like my store workers who were an embarassesment to themselves.

Ah sure, theres no need to apologise to argos staff.You are entitled to pass it as much as anyone else is entitled to put it up! And you really didn't do anything wrong. I'm sorry to hear your store sucks so much, I think most stores have similiar issues to some degree. Our own coordinators aren't paid anything extra either so I never really consider that a bump up. Just more responsibility for the same pay. Thats a clever buisness tactic me thinks-saves even more money!
    To be honest, I think anyone who isn't in the union and passed the picket is perfectly right and totally fair. And I'd say the same for shoppers who passed the pickets..what was so disappointing for me was people who passed without knowing what was going on at all. And then on the way out asked so, whats the strike for anyway and showed their support then!
    Ah sure, we'll see how it all goes. Hopefully it won't come to having to leave the company for a more competetive rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

What a joke! As said over and over in this thread. €9.03 is agood starting non-skilled job pay. I work in retail myself and earn around the same / hour. I my self work part-time and accept what I am being paid. I am in college and I think its ridiculous at the end of the day, if you are looking for more money - Get a decent job! Its not rocket science. I can't believe these guys are expecting to earn more money walking into essentially a 0% SKILLED job. Live with it, the rest of the country is. Regardless of argos' income they are well within their rights to pay you what they are paying you now remembering it is well above the legal minimum wage in Ireland.

With regards to fulltime staff, who have worked for argos for many years - they are who I feel sorry for. But again at the end of the day, its still retail. Who said because you worked there for 7 years, you are going to be earning as much as someone is walking out of college with a 4 year degree in business or computers? Degree's, qualifications, Skills aren't there for no reason. I am not by any means saying it is not possible to earn reasonable amounts of money without a degree, I am just saying I cannot believe these people picketing outside their stores when they are working for above the minimum wage, many of them are part time students, havn't a clue about the legal financial system, working in a non-skilled job! The latter being my most important point.

- Meh, get another job if its worth that much hassle. You know the argos "big boys" are probably just laughing at this behind their tabloids.

Hj

why should Full Time staff be paid more than part time staff for doing the same work?

Obviously they get paid more in total because they work more hours, but it makes no sense that someone should get paid a larger basic wage simply because they're available more.

Emmet
    (Minimum Wage Worker)

why should Full Time staff be paid more than part time staff for doing the same work?

Obviously they get paid more in total because they work more hours, but it makes no sense that someone should get paid a larger basic wage simply because they're available more.

Emmet
    (Minimum Wage Worker)

They shouldn't? Nor should they ever, and who ever says they should is just damn silly.

Hj

Ah sure, we'll see how it all goes. Hopefully it won't come to having to leave the company for a more competetive rate.

Why don't you just do that in the first place? Argos havn't done anything wrong.

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Couple of things to say here. Firstly - can I suggest that the "scab" remarks be left out? Be constructive or STFU.

Now to seriousness. I'm in 2 minds about the strike. My gut feeling is never to pass a picket. However, I do feel that Mandate is looking for something over and above the National agreement and is being somewhat irrational here. On the other hand Argos using strikebreakers from the UK is disgraceful. Let them get on with their business with the (non-union) staff who turn up. And I fully sympathise with the seasonal staff who need the money for Christmas. But if I had to get something in Argos today I possible would have passed the picket but there was absolutely no way I would do so with strikebreakers flown in.

And just for some perspective I'm an office worker with no union representation so I have no axe to grind here.

Advertisement