Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

argos strike?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

How did the xmas temps get roped into the strike? Where I worked, none of them were in the union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 favouritemistak

there is no arguement here, there really isnt, remembering im an employee of argos..

Any chance you are actually Paul Reville? (the irish area manager for argos who I think is based in swords)

Now there is bullish and then there is bull****. I'm gonna have to call ya on the latter there my friend!

Absolute 100%pure bull****.

All the striking staff will be let go huh?!!! So all your striking staff are christmas temps whose contracts end on the 25th? Bull****.

Christmas temp staff won't be let go because they were on strike. They will be let go because their contracts end on the 25th of december.

The majority of christmas staff in the majority of stores are not on strike because they did not join the union. They did not join the union because they have a temporary job for a temporay fixed term. Their contracts end then because argos works with a skeleton crew for most of the year and hires accordingly at peak season.

Of course there are cases where stores may need to keep on a *few* christmas temps. This usually only happens if some permanent members of staff have left or if the store needs some pickers for a couple of weeks in january. It doesn't happen alot. Most stores won't keep any of them on, some will keep maybe 2 on.

Implying that the christmas staff will be let go because they were on strike is ridiculous and implausible! They have a right to strike and if the swords manager is gonna let staff go because they took personal issue with the fact that they were on strike, then shame on them. And it explains alot about why you claim your store has so many lazy, ineffectual staff.

Of course, Im sure the prospect of striking staff being let go just warms your little heart, considering you claimed in previous posts that all the staff who were on strike in your store were lazy, inefficent, illmannered and rude. Hardly a loss like!

The only way argos are the highest paid staff in the 'pav' is if there are no other stores. Are you comparing rates of pay from 2 years ago to current rates maybe!!

We are on strike on the tuesday 18th. It was on the news and union reps and general argos staff have been discussing it alot. Just how out of touch with your "coworkers" are ya man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thoughts going around are that if this is kept up till after christmas, all striking staff will be let go, since their contracts end on dec 24th.

and they cant make a single complaint.

I know a lot of seasonal staff are hired around Christmas so regardless of striking or not, a lot of people will be let go at the end of this month.

I doubt the full-time staff are on contract but I could be wrong.
    Surely it's the full-time staff who are doing most of the striking and I doubt they can be let go on Dec 24th.
    Part-time staff have little to gain from this dispute. By striking they may get a wage increase (unlikely imo) but since they won't be there in January they how does it benefit them? And they lose a day's wages by joining the picket

Edit: Favouritemistak already posted this already.
    Sorry, thedoc but I reckon you're wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Favouriemistake was right about that but its a minor issue (slip of the tongue?) that he's useing to blow out of propertion and try to cover up the fact that Argos employees are very well paid for the type of job and compared to what others in the same industry get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

eth0_ wrote: »
    Which isn't true. Someone stated earlier in this thread that Argos workers are the highest paid in the Jervis centre - so they earn more than people in Boots, Dixons, Debenhams.

It's a ridiculous demand they are making.

That would be correct. Dixons starting wage is around 8.65 (Same with PCW, Curry's .. ) And its said to go up 20'c a year. Thats what i am paid, thats what I am entitled to be paid, thats what i agreed to be paid joining the company, that is the minimum wage. Tough. There is a reason also why I am studying in college ;)

As I've said before earlier in this thread, argos are off their rockers :rolleyes:

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wrong, Boots starting wage is €9.11. I'm pretty sure Debenhams is €9. Marks is the best I've ever heard of- €9.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

ixoy wrote: »
    But what is a fair wage for an unskilled job? Surely wages need to be based on skill and value to the company rather than length of service? An employer shouldn't have to take into account your mortgage/rent when employing you and adjust your rates - that's your problem. They pay you for the calculated cost of retaining you and the risk of how difficult it would be to replace you. I can't see that an Argos worker coulnd't be pretty easily replaced, hence a lower wage.

And college isn't the only route to a good job. There are plenty of tradesmen who've been earning far more than college graduates in the last decade. They're providing a skilled service and were in short supply this not replacable and thus a higher wage.

What a strange but archaic way of looking at things. You don't strike me as being an employer but still you've an antiquated but thankfully redundant way of assessing employee value. The route to wealth is somewhat stereotypical, yeah there's plenty of anecdotal evidence but no relevance to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

miju wrote: »
    it is well above the minimum wage as statedin law by our government. perhaps you should be directing that comment towards them rather than Argos?

I think you missed my point - perhaps you might ponder on your 'well above the minimum' wage and imagine what's more comfortable (a) subsistence living or (b) 'working poor' ?

You can your own say too - that's one of the differentiators of democracy and if you don't like it, walk away or perhaps try and change it, especially if it means helping someone else less fortunate (perhaps)!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i'm well familiar with the phrase working poor having worked for €7.45 an hour for two years and the sheer struggle of it.

but again i did something about it by bettering my employment options and getting a much higher paid job. argos employees can do the same

Advertisement