Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading from premium to Elite - Beware

• 30-11-2007 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is having the same problems as me, i upgraded from a premium to an elite and went to GameStop to do the deal, they transferred all my old data from the 20gig hd to the 120gig one and everything seemed grand.
    Now when I try to play any of the arcade games i downloaded they come up as a trial version unless I connect to live, although this isn't really a problem for me my 7 year old son also has gamertag on the console and now he cannot play any of the arcade games as they only come up as trial games when he signs in.
    I understand this is a DRM issue and after a few calls to support they basically told me there was nothing they can do and that I should have read about this in the Data migration manual which of course I didn't read because I didn't do the transfer.
    I spoke to a supervisor in MS support and tried to get them to credit me the points so I could redownload the content to my sons profile but they were having none of it.
    Sorry for the long post but I'm really pissed off after giving another €200 to Microsoft my son cannot play the games I paid for for him.
    Any advice or experience anybody has would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

it is not just an issue if you trade up to an elite , if your 360 has to be replaced you will have the same trouble .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Ring them again, there is something they can do, forget what but there is defintely a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭okla

I rang them loads of times and the "supervisors" even tell me very bluntly they won't refund points or let me redownload the games or they tell me to go to Gamestop and take it up with them as they should have informed me about the premium content problem
    There is a thread over 100 pages long on xbox.com about it and from what I can see nobody has got it sorted for themselves.
    I understand the piracy thing and why they have DRM but this is an appalling way to treat their paying customers.
    Come on MS sort it out :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

I noticed this two when I got my xbox refurbished, my little brothers now can't play any of my xbox live games, its terrible that something hasn't been done with this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah I had at least 4 360s all with the same HDD and GT and I can't play Marble Blast AT ALL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I was going to do this , are yu saying that you lose all the arcade games that you have downloaded ??They revert to trial versions only ? Can you not download them again for free from live once you have paid for them ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

vasch_ro wrote: »
    I was going to do this , are yu saying that you lose all the arcade games that you have downloaded ??They revert to trial versions only ? Can you not download them again for free from live once you have paid for them ??

No, you can play them with your gamertag, but if you have anyone else (i.e. a different gamertag) on the same console they can't play the full versions.

Basically you can play them if you use the account that they were purchased with.

The reason MS can't/won't fix it is beacuse then you would have people recovering their gamertags onto friend consoles, then redownloading the games so their friends have them. It was always an issue (not an issue in my opinion) even before the elite arrived.

There is one possible way to fix it, by assigning games to a particular console, but then if you ever upgraded/repaired you'd never get them games back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i thought there was rules regarding 'fair use' of DRM content specifically to protect consumers of this sort of thing aren't there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

just let him play on your gamertag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe Lester

if you understand the drm and believe you shouldnt be treated this way a a paying customer.

what i dont get is that you are the one who purchased the games no one else so if you are able to play them then its ok. if you must be signed into xbox live then its a problem but then again i guess you are all the time signed in.

the way i see it is that you are complaning about the fact no one else is allowed to use the arcade games that you purchased why would microsft make it so that people on your xbox 360 that havent purchased the games be able to paly the.

all i can say is that microsoft are di*ckhe*ads and will not help anyone sorry to see you are stuck i know its a bitch but as the dipsh*its microsft said nothing can be nothing or in real terms nothing will be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

lafors wrote: »
    No, you can play them with your gamertag, but if you have anyone else (i.e. a different gamertag) on the same console they can't play the full versions.

Basically you can play them if you use the account that they were purchased with.

No, its not that, if you put your exsisting HDD into a new xbox, (or like the op transfer all your data to a new hdd/xbox) you cant paly any of your arcade games if your OFFLINE. You have to connect to xbox live to play them or all you get are trial versions. I know myself cause i bought a core as my premium is bolloxed and i put my premium hdd in it, and use it in my bedroom (where i hav eno internet access) and i cant play any arcade games unless i connect it to the intertubes :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

II've seen a few threads about this issue on xbox.com and people had been credited with more points to another account so that they could redownload the games again to their replacement console. It's possible that this was just people who had called up the US support lines but it was mentioned too many times for it to have been a once off that someone managed to talk a support person into giving the points back.

Edit: There is a post from Lucky13 X about half way down this page that says what they have done for people calling the US support line before. From their other posts I think that user might be something to do with the MS customer support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Check your terms and conditions about buying arcade games. If it doesn't state that you have to be signed into XBL to play arcade games then you can argue that you didn't get what you paid for and ask for it to be sorted or a refund.

I can't see anything on xbox.com though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ive found microsoft very helpful when i have rang them, very helpful indeed.

I think its jsut like any retailing situation, just be kind and friendly, a little sobby story, and your in :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I only have 1 account on my current 360.
    If I upgraded to an elite and then created a second account afterwards, would I be able to play arcade games with that account or would I be stuck with the original?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

tman wrote: »
    I only have 1 account on my current 360.
    If I upgraded to an elite and then created a second account afterwards, would I be able to play arcade games with that account or would I be stuck with the original?

Any arcade games that you have already downloaded on your current account will then only be playable under that gamertag when your connected to Live!. If you download any new games on the Elite though then they will be playable by any gamertag on that console.

Advertisement