Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Megane Problems

Options
  • 30-11-2007 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Can find a better forum to post this in.

My friend has a 96 Megane Coupe that doesn't seem to want to work. I have several questions which will be numbered so you can answer any one of them by number. I don't know a great deal about cars so sorry if these questions seem really stupid. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1. Do different cars take a different voltage, or are they all a standard 12V?

2. The car almost started one time with constant revving whilst turning the ignition. Does this indicate that the spark plugs or the ignition are gone? Or would that not happen if that was the case?

3. Is it a possibilty that there is a fuse blown that is stopping the car from starting, if it can be turned on?

4. The immobiliser was activated at one stage. Does this need to be unactivated by a renault mechanic, or can it be done with just the alarm box on the keys?

5. Is there any other reason the car would not start? I'm sure the battery is dead, but trying it with the battery from another car would not work. This battery was a 12V. I'm not sure how much petrol the car has because we can not turn the car on. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

First of all if you unlock the car and don't start it shortly afterwards (say within 20 seconds) the factory immobiliser will activate and the car won't start. It will then have to locked and unlocked using the plip key before it can be started. If you delay in starting it a 2nd time, the same thing will happen again.

If this is not the problem then it could be many things and to be honest you'd really need to call a mechanic/garage. One thing that it could be is the TDC crank sensor, if this is faulty the car will probably not start. There is some info on this here
    http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/general-forum/2627-top-dead-centre-sensors.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

kleftangel wrote: »

My friend has a 96 Megane Coupe that doesn't seem to want to work. I have several questions which will be numbered so you can answer any one of them by number. I don't know a great deal about cars so sorry if these questions seem really stupid. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1. Do different cars take a different voltage, or are they all a standard 12V?
    Nearly all cars operate on 12V, Megane definitely does.

2. The car almost started one time with constant revving whilst turning the ignition. Does this indicate that the spark plugs or the ignition are gone? Or would that not happen if that was the case?
    Unlikely that all the plugs would go together.

If it was an ignition or starter problem you probably wouldn't hear the
    engine turning over, trying to start.
    Possible that the fuel pump is at fault.
    Try getting someone to give you a tow and try starting the car
    while being towed by letting the clutch out in 2nd gear.
    Like the other poster said, the immobiliser will only give you a window of 0 seconds or so to start the engine after unlocking the doors with the remote. I'm not 100% sure but I think that if the immob has reset the
    engine won't swing at all when you turn the key.

3. Is it a possibilty that there is a fuse blown that is stopping the car from starting, if it can be turned on?
    The fact that the engine is turning over with the key is a good sign.
    There's prob some large fuess in a fuse box under the bonnet,
    no harm to check them.

4. The immobiliser was activated at one stage. Does this need to be unactivated by a renault mechanic, or can it be done with just the alarm box on the keys?

5. Is there any other reason the car would not start? I'm sure the battery is dead, but trying it with the battery from another car would not work. This battery was a 12V. I'm not sure how much petrol the car has because we can not turn the car on. Any ideas?

Try attaching jump leads from a car that's engine is running.
    If you can't get any sign of life from your Megane while the jump leads are attached (lights, horn, etc) your main fuse is prob blown

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

kleftangel wrote: »

My friend has a 96 Megane Coupe

I think that's your problem right there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no offence, but maybe get someone with knowledge of cars to have a very quick look. there could be a number of visible reasons that the car isn't starting

Advertisement