Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE panel discussing corruption on Wednesday's CL

• 30-11-2007 11:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Just wondering - I appreciate the RTE panel's openess about corruption in the English game and its openess in general. However this has never been discussed on similar soccer shows on BBC or ITV - Why is this? Are they scared witless of the clubs? If they are how does RTE get away with such blatant honesty when replays are available to anyone who wants to see them on the internet on the RTE website? I ask because word is getting around about the RTE panel and their blunt honest opinions which British viewers are deprived of week in week out apparently. I know several UK soccer forums where contributers increasingly make it essential that they watch RTE's analysis. Is it because we are in a different country that they can be more honest and, if you like, get away with it? Or is that just nonsense and the BBC and ITV are just as honest with the viewer but we dont notice it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

darkman2 wrote: »
    Just wondering - I appreciate the RTE panel's openess about corruption in the English game and its openess in general. However this has never been discussed on similar soccer shows on BBC or ITV - Why is this? Are they scared witless of the clubs? If they are how does RTE get away with such blatant honesty when replays are available to anyone who wants to see them on the internet on the RTE website? I ask because word is getting around about the RTE panel and their blunt honest opinions which British viewers are deprived of week in week out. I know several UK soccer forums were contributers increasingly make it essential that they watch RTE's analysis. I sit just because we are in a different country that they can be more honest? Or is that just nonsense and the BBC and ITV are just as honest with the viewer but we dont notice it?

Well the BBC refuse to say anything bad about anyone so they still get interviews post matches, considering they've already lost Ferguson. One branch of the Beeb got some balls and accused Alerdyce of dodgey dealings and they got threats of a lawsuit (which tellingly was never made), which i think has made them even more bland then ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Its because Eamonn Dunphy saying it instantly discredits it :P ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My problem with the RTE pundits is they don't really have much football knowledge. They BARELY get by with the premiership and almost nothing about the foreign leagues. The only reason they are able to talk about football is because they are past players. I also find them FAR too negative and they also exaggerate everything 'Ronaldo is a nothing player', 'Liverpool are a nothing team' etc...

This is all well and good if you are looking for a bit of entertainment, but its frustrating if you are actually interested in the match/teams playing. Listening to them spout their nonsensical crap makes my blood boil, so I don't watch them anymore. They may be honest but that doesn't make what they are saying credible.

And whats this 'honesty of effort' lark that seems to come up a dozen times each program ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Tusky wrote: »
    My problem with the RTE pundits is they don't really have much football knowledge. They BARELY get by with the premiership and almost nothing about the foreign leagues. The only reason they are able to talk about football is because they are past players. I also find them FAR too negative and they also exaggerate everything 'Ronaldo is a nothing player', 'Liverpool are a nothing team' etc...

This is all well and good if you are looking for a bit of entertainment, but its frustrating if you are actually interested in the match/teams playing. Listening to them spout their nonsensical crap makes my blood boil, so I don't watch them anymore. They may be honest but that doesn't make what they are saying credible.

And whats this 'honesty of effort' lark that seems to come up a dozen times each program ?

Tbh its still better than the propagandistic bilge spewed forth by the BBC,ITV, Sky etc. They still know more ,Id say, than the ''experts'' there aswell, even if they do have a more old-fashioned view of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I dont need pundits to tell me what a match I saw and have an opinion on was REALLY like.

I need pundits to talk sh1te that i either agree/disagree with, and get into arguements over said sh1te. The CL analysis/pre match chat is by far the best programme on tv :D I doubt in England they are watching an awful CL match saying "i wonder what Gary* thinks of this!". In Ireland underperforming PL players walk off the pitch and you think "jaysus i cant wait for Eamo to waffle on this".

*: Yeah, i know he doesnt cover CL. tbh i cant remember who does on ITV, I never bother watching the pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i think the reason why they get away with it is due to the fact its NOT telivised in the UK, they are esentily talking about 'foregin' teams in a 'foregin' country, so there is no place for bias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ah the old RTÉ versus the rest debate.

the RTE boys speak what's on their mind, as limited as their knowledge can be at times (although i'd say in the case of the corruption they'd be fairly well versed in what went on, might even have engaged in some dodgy deals themselves i daresay).

It's so irritating watching people like Lawro who seem to have multiple personality disorder... I don't mind his columns in the papers, and the odd radio convo can be decent, but he offers little to nothing in terms of analysis or commentary when on the telly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

irish-stew wrote: »
    i think the reason why they get away with it is due to the fact its NOT telivised in the UK

You can watch repeats over the internet - not sure about live. I know its broadcast live over the web here.

For those you say the RTE panel are less knowlegable - In fairness they do have Souness and Brady (who works for the youth setup at Arsenal) - Also would you really prefer the likes of Alan Shearer (who goes golfing with Micheal Owen and is friends with many in the premiership like most British pundits)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

go on, pay ur license fees to be lied to. great craic innit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

'Ronaldo is a nothing player',

It was "Ronaldo is a puffball". I'd go along with that.:)

He said Carrick was a nothign player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

As mentioned before RTE are not afraid to let their pundits "talk" as they have no fear in losing interviews etc etc.

I thought the discussion was very good on Weds and wish there was sometrhing more like that on tv. Off the ball do it on Newstalk to an extent wish I like but I reckon in time we will get less and less pundits like RTE have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I imagine if RTE were in the UK they'd be more circumspect.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You can watch repeats over the internet - not sure about live. I know its broadcast live over the web here.

For those you say the RTE panel are less knowlegable - In fairness they do have Souness and Brady (who works for the youth setup at Arsenal)

Souness talks lots of nonsense as well. The jury is still out on 'Mascherano' being the most recent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

GenericGoon, really the RTE pundits have no clue about what they are commenting on.

Dunphy just tries to be controversial, Brady loves Arsenal, All of them hate Liverpool. Dunphy also hates United.

And what's worst is them getting players names wrong. Since I have stopped watching their "coverage" I don't know recent blunders but ones I can remember,

Giles calling Eboue "E-boo" over and over again.
    Brady "IbraHAMovic"
    Giles, Bill, Eamonn" Milan "BEROSH"(Baros) again a serious amount of times
    Bill, Dado "PurrrShow" (PRSO) - That's harder to explain how wrong he pronounced it)

I know there is more but these are at the top of my head. I mean it's disgraceful that these people are supposed to know the game they are talking about and repeatedly get names awfully wrong...it's the same thing as a film critic calling Brad Pitt, Brad "Pite"...and he wouldn't have a job for long if he did that.

Also their views are incredibly bias.
    e.g: Arsenal win 7 nil breaking a CL record...
    They said things like "Sublime Arsenal, you just don't beat a team 7 nil without playing great"
    Liverpool then beat Besiktas 8 nil 2 weeks later and we get
    "Poor poor opposition rather than good Liverpool" and my favourite quote
    "8 lucky goals" Eamon Dunphy.

What really annoys me too is that people take the pundits word for gospel when they really talk so much crap it's amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Dunphy just tries to be controversial,

get away!
    Brady loves Arsenal,

played for them for 10 years and works for them as a coach. how very observant of you.

next you will say Giles likes Leeds.
    All of them hate Liverpool.

as all proper football fans should do. but i think its more their style and lack of bank for the bucks they take umbrage with.
    Dunphy also hates United.

despite them being his self professed favourite team and having written books on them?

Their football knowledge and ability to read a game is far superior to their British rivals and added in there is no 'product' to sell, their honesty is refreshing in the current sanitised envirnonment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

as all proper football fans should do. but i think its more their style and lack of bank for the bucks they take umbrage with.

is the expression not BANG for their buck?

Call_me_al wrote: »
    is the expression not BANG for their buck?

yes. yes it is. :o

Their football knowledge and ability to read a game is far superior to their British rivals and added in there is no 'product' to sell, their honesty is refreshing in the current sanitised envirnonment.

hahahahahahaha
    honesty is good and all... but you have to have your facts right for it to work.
    the fact that the RTE consistently get so many things wrong sorta screws ur point there. for brief examples look at my sig

OhNoYouDidn't

As many of my friends who are United fans (and proper ones at that) have claimed, Dunphy likes to attack Man United, whether they be his "favourite" team or not, he seems to hate them, as he hates Liverpool...he talks such crap (e.g before the Roma 7-1 match commentary)

To say that they know more than their english counterparts is disgraceful....these lads don't have a clue, How can they know more when they don't even know players names.

Another thing is them exaggerating stuff. At the 2-1 Besiktas Liverpool match Dunphy states "Benitez has players like Leto, I've never even heard of him, who is Leto"
    When it was only weeks before and he had praised Leto and said he looks like a good prospect (that's out of character from Dunphy).

As I have been writing this a United fan I know has passed me and I asked him "Mike Do You think Dunphy hates United"
    His response was "Well he likes to talk crap about them all the time, since Keane left he likes to slate them"

And what do you say about constant mispronounciations? Any critic should atleast know the names of the players?

Their blunders are so amazing...it's just crap.
    And because I say something that some people think is obvious doesn't make it untrue you plank. Dunphy does try to be controversial, am I not supposed to say it because you already know that?

Rte might be good for a laugh sometimes as they talk the biggest load of bias bollocks.
    And as Jazzy said, they can be as "honest" as they like(biased anyway) but they still need to have facts. I wish I had watched them as much in the last year as I have in the many years previous as I would have many many examples to show you.

"I know Liverpool fans and they don't think rafa is the bees knees" Eamonn Dunphy
    Read this on Jazzy's page....haha Rafa IS the bees knees....Can't tell me what I think Eamonn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think what Dunphy meant for the Rafa comment was that some Liverpool fans don't think he is the bees knees, and some think he is. Looking at the Liverpool topic and other forums I visit that comment is true.

• Advertisement

Brethitmanhart, clutching at straws there. Your mate reckons he is harsh on Manure and you don't agree with his Rafa analyisis despite what other Liverpool fans think.

Is that really it? Pronunciation of names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Just wondering - I appreciate the RTE panel's openess about corruption in the English game and its openess in general. However this has never been discussed on similar soccer shows on BBC or ITV - Why is this? Are they scared witless of the clubs? If they are how does RTE get away with such blatant honesty when replays are available to anyone who wants to see them on the internet on the RTE website? I ask because word is getting around about the RTE panel and their blunt honest opinions which British viewers are deprived of week in week out apparently. I know several UK soccer forums where contributers increasingly make it essential that they watch RTE's analysis. Is it because we are in a different country that they can be more honest and, if you like, get away with it? Or is that just nonsense and the BBC and ITV are just as honest with the viewer but we dont notice it?

This is the OP. What has any of the discussion that followed it got to do with it? It's not about Dunphy's axes or Giles pronunciations. It's about the fact that RTE are discussing the corruption in English football where the English choose to ignore it.

RTE can do it because they do not depend on the goodwill of the PL clubs like the English channels do.

Brethitmanhart, clutching at straws there. Your mate reckons he is harsh on Manure and you don't agree with his Rafa analyisis despite what other Liverpool fans think.

Is that really it? Pronunciation of names?

you still havent tackled the fact that the RTE consistently don't get things right and generally just talk for the sake of talking... and to sell what ever red top they write in.

remember the ads in 2006 on the telly with Dunphy going "wanna know wat i really think about the england team? read it only in the star"
    ur saying that that is the kind of guy to give his pro opinion on our national broadcaster and get paid with our money?

he is funny, but so is a mate of mine and I dont see him on the telly

to hammer a point home...

dunphy says that Ryan Babel for liverpool is a bad buy,
    hes scored 5 so far this season with limited appearances and is 19.
    Dunphy says pool arent up to the standard of utd or arsenal or chelsea.
    the same liverpool that have just destroyed a bolton side that beat man u last week (not having a go at man u).
    pool also knocked 4 past porto, 3 past newcastle and drew with arsenal when they hadnt hit a run of form and arsenal were playing amazing football.

these are facts. something dunphy ignores/pawns off week in - week out.
    they also have the best defensive record in the league, something he never mentions.

thats just using liverpool as an example. ill tell ya wat, next man utd CL game on RTE ill watch and take notes and give u plenty more examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Also Dunphy seemed to have a bit of a love bulge in his pants for Chelsea the other night, talking about how we wouldnt be able to get near them if we played them?

Again not mentioning the fact that we played them off the park at the start of the season and we are going better than them in the league.

The guy is entertaining, in the same kind of way that a clown is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dunphy doesn't even make sense though. He says Liverpool aren't up to United's standard. Then when you are watching United on RTE, he'll have a go at them, claiming they they aren't top players, that Ronaldo is a puffball, Carrick is a nothing player. So if Liverpool are worse than United, but at the same time, United are ****. It makes no sense.
    He says different things in different matches to get certain people to watch him. It's a joke.

Now he is favouring Chelsea, a more recent thing. This is because, it's gona piss off United and Liverpool fans, and hence make other fans happy to watch him. None of what he says makes sense. If United are ****, and yet at the same time, Chelsea are great, how did United beat them already this season.

He just talks utter ****, I have friends who do that, hell there are people on boards who do that. Infact, whats funny about the whole thing is he is essentially a guy talking crap in order to get attention, who if existed on this board would be a troll and be banned.

I'd prefer Sky or BBC any day of the week.

and remember who pays him PHB....

So basically your gripe is that he disagrees with your barstool analyisis? :rolleyes:

I dont agree with a lot of what he says either but thats got nothing to do with the debate in hand here, ie that RTE panellests are far less constrained than the English ones. Remember Sounesses first day on the WC panel? As such topics like the English bung culture that are swept under the carpet by the Murdoch empire can be discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Match of the Day is a football programme hosted by football pundits, They have no expertise when it comes to the corruption allegations so they don't talk about it.

The Corruption allegations were originally made by Panorama, which is the BBC's investigative journalism programme and this led to the Stevens enquiry.

How is the BBC covering it up?

• Advertisement

How is the BBC covering it up?

who said they were?

So basically your gripe is that he disagrees with your barstool analyisis? :rolleyes:

no...
    that hes a "journalist" who consistently gets his facts wrong and gives opinions laced with his own natural bias. that and also the fact that he does have his own agenda in promoting his column in which ever red top rag hes writing for these days.

did u listen to that yeah? hear what im saying there? nice and clear for ya?

you still havent answered this btw:
    Jazzy wrote:
    you still havent tackled the fact that the RTE consistently don't get things right and generally just talk for the sake of talking... and to sell what ever red top they write in.

remember the ads in 2006 on the telly with Dunphy going "wanna know wat i really think about the england team? read it only in the star"
    ur saying that that is the kind of guy to give his pro opinion on our national broadcaster and get paid with our money?

can u answer that? do you want to try even?
    or are do u just wanna dodge that one again and say i sit on barstools yapping before rolling ur ever smugger eyes.

and yes it does have a lot to do with the current debate in the thread, or does dunphy work for RTE and is he not one of their main panellists?

edit - oh, and also the fact that he gets paid with our money by the National Broadcaster to do it. back to my barstool tho. hope ur eyes dont roll out after reading this.... thats what happens to mine when i cant put up an arguement

Jazzy wrote: »
    no...
    that hes a "journalist" who consistently gets his facts wrong and gives opinions laced with his own natural bias.

opinions laced with his own natural bias? :confused: as opposed to what other type of opinion?

He is there to give his opinion, that is why its called being a pundit.

What facts has he actually gotten wrong, other than names?
    Jazzy wrote: »
    does have his own agenda in promoting his column in which ever red top rag hes writing for these days.

He was a journo long before he became a pundit. In fact it was his columns that got him the RTE gig. Thats what he does.

Giles and in particular Brady can read a game. Dunphy is there for colour. If you want bland, banal marketing dressed up as commentary, stick to sky.

Other than a few Ole's who don't like some comment Dunphy made about their club (and believe me as a Rovers fan I have real and actual issues with this man) their commentary is massively successful and accesed millions of times on the RTE webtsite from all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

irish-stew wrote: »
    i think the reason why they get away with it is due to the fact its NOT telivised in the UK, they are esentily talking about 'foregin' teams in a 'foregin' country, so there is no place for bias

Why do you have foreign in quotes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He doesn't actually have an opinion. I bet you any amount of money that if Ronaldo was hated by the English press, constantly slated, Dunphy would defend him to the last man. He is just saying whatever he can to stay on the air, and it works. I personally can't stand it, and much prefer people who have actual opinions, even if they are banal.

Take Ian Wright for example, he actually says what he thinks, to the extent that he said Beckham should play against Croatia ahead of his own son. Compare that with Dunphy who would defend Keane as a player until the ends of the earth, no matter what he did.

Other than player names,
    Dunphy suggesting that Leto was a player he had never even heard of when weeks before he was able to comment on him as if he knew him...that shows that Dunphy isn't giving his opinion, he is just saying something that will raise eyebrows...

Rte might talk about bungs and things that sky might not (even tho' they actually do which totally rips apart this argument)...but lets suggest sky don't and we'll return to that later...RTE don't actually have a clue what they are talking about and just want to be controversial or make controversial statements/judgements. The reason they get so many views is because they are so bad that they are funny, and this is true as I can remember reading the official Liverpool messageboard before telling people to watch this "Eamonn Dunphy charachter from Irish TV".

I mean he gets views because of statements like
    "Fat and a clown. A fat clown for all to see." (about Harry Kewell)

"A Tramp" (About Rio Ferdinand)

"They (Liverpool) should put Garcia where he belongs - in the dustbin." (About Luis Garcia)

"A poof ball" (About Ronaldo)

While I might agree on some things he says...I don't take him seriously as he has a concious opinion...by which I mean he really thinks about what he will say...instead of being truly honest...as he wants to be controversial...as that will make him more money.
    I mean as a Liverpool fan myself I 100% agree with Roy Keane on the '02 situation and was called a "naive United fan" on the radio the morning he left the squad in Saipan when I was the only one supporting Roy saying people should not jump to conclusions. I also agree with some of his judgements aswell as strongly disagree with some so it isn't that he goes against my opinion.

I'm not going to study videos of him right now but I know that you could find many contradictions in what he says if you did. I didn't see but heard he had a right blast at Venables...which I would agree with..but was left looking a clown when O Herlihy quoted Dunphy in 2005 stating Venables was good.

Back to Sky talk briefly about bungs and other arguments of the same..but just state the current situation of affairs and don't go into large debates (unless you watch shows like "You're On.." or "Jimmy Hills Sunday Supplement") whereas RTE talk about things and go in depth sometimes talking nonsense or reading way too much into things.

I don't really watch BBC much so to be fair I cannot fairly judge their commentary....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote: »
    Dunphy doesn't even make sense though. He says Liverpool aren't up to United's standard. Then when you are watching United on RTE, he'll have a go at them, claiming they they aren't top players, that Ronaldo is a puffball, Carrick is a nothing player.

His "demolition" of half the Utd squad last week was comical...Nani, Anderson, O'Shea, Carrick (and one other I can't remember...not Ronaldo) aren't "Utd players", they're "squad players" (though John O'Shea is an important "squad player").

Words to that effect.

Pointless meanderings of a washed up old hack.

Entertaining, but ultimately offering little to informed discussion on football.

Giles' repsonse to Souness suggesting that the Dutch style of play meant that wingers didn't have to track back...priceless.

Neither Giles or Dunphy should be commenting on continental European sides, they know little or nothing about the vast majority of players or coaches.

Can I ask what Giles said about Sousness comments....sounds funny!

Can I ask what Giles said about Sousness comments....sounds funny!

It was the Barca-Lyon game, Souness made a point that the wide men for Barca wouldn't be expected to track back, described it as the Dutch system.

Giles was incredulous, said something along the lines of he didn't believe it, and if it was true then he couldn't believe the Dutch ever won anything playing like that.

Again, paraphrased (heavily).

I'm sure honesty of effort was mentioned at some point.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Dunphy discussing the world cup draw and Terry Venables as possible Ireland manager on the RTE website (can't link to the video cos its a javascript link but check video here:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/

Dunphy claimed he'd spent 10 days researching Terry Venables' career as a manager...he then quoted directly from this wiki article to back his point up. Searched high and low Eamo?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

lol

Printing a wikipedia article and bringing it into the studio should be a capital punishment offence

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement