Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike shopping in New York!

Options
  • 30-11-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

I know this is taking the whole New York shopping thing too far but I'm off there in Feb 08 and was wondering if anyone has any experience buying a mountain bike in the states and bringing it back with on the plane with you or posting it home?

Anyone know the odds of being caught by customs? They must be getting high when its the size of a bike!

JP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I know people who have done it. You will be fine if you look like you are coming back from a cycling holiday, people bring bikes all over the place all the time, like laptops ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Some people say that you should bring an old junker with you on the way over and dump it - then cycle the new bike a bit to get it used looking (offroad), I believe this may be to do with some sort of customs and excise but amn't entirely sure ;)

I have heard that plan but I honestly don't believe customs connect your leaving to your arrival at all. On your return you are dumped into a common baggage reclaim with what are overwhelmingly EU flights and no-one seems to pay much difference between green and blue channels, they just take whichever is nearer (I am presuming Dublin here.) As such there is no way customs are going to look twice at someone wheeling a bike through. It is no harm to have the bike fully assembled with all the new stickers/tags etc. removed, e.g. have it look like "cycling holiday" rather than "I just bought a bike." February is far enough from the Christmas shopping thing too, so you'll be doubly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

but if they were to stop you, you would be beter off with an outward ticket that backs up your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

i was in NY during the summer, the bikes arnt that big a saving tbh, its really just the exchange rate, and alot of the bikes you will pick up as cheap in the sales.
    also i wouldnt envy dragging a bike + luggage from manhattan to JFK(bout 15miles).
    or trying to get it in the hold, and ****ting myself on the plane hoping the bike doesnt get broke.
    too much hassle, id go to france instead, they are 10% cheaper than here...and no customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

kona wrote: »
    i was in NY during the summer, the bikes arnt that big a saving tbh, its really just the exchange rate, and alot of the bikes you will pick up as cheap in the sales.
    Might just be the exchange rate, but that works out at good savings.
    2007 Specialized Tarmac Comp:
    RA cycles €1640 ($2400)
    Cycleways €2300

M

with most transatlantic carriers there is nothing specific on your ticket to indicate you are bringing a bike; indeed you are more likely to get it across for free and unmentioned than within europe. damage s a concern but no of legs is the concern there, you have as big a risk coming from france. you can cycle to jfk :-; having said that do consider sales and the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jpogorman

Thanks. I'll take that advice on board. Its there any good European websites to buy bikes? I have time to do a bit more research!

Do a search on google.co.uk (limit to UK) for the bikes you are interested in. Many of the big European websites are UK operations, in particular www.chainreactioncycles.com (in NI, heavy MTB focus) and www.wiggle.co.uk. I've bought from both of these as well as other UK sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Online is usually cheaper in any country. You could check online stores, try out of state ones to save on tax. Then you can email your hotel and ask if you can have post sent there. This way you do not waste your holiday shopping for the best price. Also the bike will usually come disassembled in a smallish box, ready for putting straight on a plane.

This goes for any items in the states. You could spend all your holiday time running around trying to find an item at a good price, or you can do it online and arrive to a hotel full of parcels for you- just give a good tip and they wont mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement