Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jaguar X-Type

Options
  • 01-12-2007 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi there!

I'm thinking of getting an X-Type shortly as Jag's have been my dream car since I was a kid and I am now finally in a position to get my hands on a decent second hand one. I have been looking at perhaps the 2003/2004 2 litre Diesel or or similar year 2.1 V6 Petrol but I am yet undecided. Also, still considering importing from the UK. VRT seems to run at about 6-7,000 euro.

Can anyone give me any advice, tips, opinions, experience relating to the X-Type??

Many thanks!

TMA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Gonna be blunt here.

The X-Type was a fillip to America to get some profit back into Jaguar.

They took a last gen Mondeo (a brilliant driver's car) and moulded a new skin around it to look like a junior Jag.

Sales were abysmal but if you want a cut-price Jag (no rear wheel drive except for quasi 4WD on the top-of-the-range) you will get great prices.

Just remember that you could get the same car in Mondeo guise for silly money.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Thanks for the honest opinion kevmac!

I was actually looking at the Mondeo originally. I was going through the process of deciding on a 2007 Nissan Almera (I know, I know. But I have an old one now and there very reliable), or a 2005 Mondeo. A Mondeo with decent low mileage will set me back in the region of 15,000 - 17,000.

Then I realised that I could get an '04 X-Type for maybe a grand or two extra. A more recent X-Type climbs rapidly into the 20k+ range and I would agree it is silly money. But given that X-Type handles and performs well (it is a Mondeo at heart after all) and despite the Ford demaded cut backs, still has a very good degree of Jaguar finishing and comfort, it seems like a good deal.

In the UK, and allowing for VRT, I could potentially get a late '04 with around 40k miles for about 17,500 - 18,000. The best price I've seen in Ireland is 18,500 for an '04 with 60k. All other Irish cars are priced at around 22,000+.

An Irish Mondeo with similar mileage (40k) would average about 16,500 - 17,000. Surprisingly, because they are so popular in the UK, importing a Mondeo will only save me about 1,500 euro, which, considering the lack of dealer support, doesn't seem worth it.

So, would anyone agree that analysis? I feel that for 2 grand extra, I'll get a similar vintage and mileage X-Type instead of a Mondeo. Buying from the UK could save me in the region of 4-5,000 euro on the Irish price too so that the lack of warranty can be offset to some extent by the saving.

Hmmmmmmm.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

My wife has one, and they're fantastic to drive - she has a 2.5L V6. Don't let some pseudo car intellectual put you off with the usual "it's basically just a XXXX". It handles great, the grip is amazing, very smooth drive with great suspension, it's comfortable inside & very plush, VERY high spec (all elecs, etc), and it's not common as muck like the Mondeo or a BMW. Contrary to what kevmac just said, the X-Type comes standard with all-wheel drive vs. Mondeo's front-wheel drive. Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz models offer AWD at extra cost. You'd be surprised how low spec teh BMWs actualyl start off at - you get d*ck all for your money - everythign costs extra & nothing is standard!

I'd recommend one over a BMW or Merc or Ford anyday. We looked at all of these in detail for my wife's next car and the X-Type was miles ahead of all of them for spec/engine size/features vs. cost - BMW don't even come with leather as standard FFS, and have very boring interiors - and we initially wanted a nice BMW for her, but after browsing dozens of them, most of the interiors are just plain drab! And some of the similar class Mercs look like big awkward tanks for 60+ business men.

So, OP, if you can get past the usual snobbery on here (usually from someone who probably drives a BMW 3 series, FFS), then get one. At least test drive one in Jaguar Ireland and make up your own mind. Or read some owner reviews online.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=jaguar+x-type+reviews&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I drive an XK which drives like a dream, and I still love driving her X-Type in comparison.

So do you want to be another common-as-muck Joe-estate-agent or mid-level desk clerk parked outside their legoland house with no driveway trying to show off that they're 'successful' by driving a low-spec BMW just so he can say he drives one, & walk around the supermarket holding his keys so everyone can see the logo: or do you want to drive a car with a bit of genuine class & character?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    My wife has one, and they're fantastic to drive - she has a 2.5L V6. Don't let some pseudo car intellectual put you off with the usual "it's basically just a XXXX". It handles great, the grip is amazing, very smooth drive with great suspension, it's comfortable inside & very plush, VERY high spec (all elecs, etc), and it's not common as muck like the Mondeo or a BMW. Contrary to what kevmac just said, the X-Type comes standard with all-wheel drive vs. Mondeo's front-wheel drive. Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz models offer AWD at extra cost. You'd be surprised how low spec teh BMWs actualyl start off at - you get d*ck all for your money - everythign costs extra & nothing is standard!

I'd recommend one over a BMW or Merc or Ford anyday. We looked at all of these in detail for my wife's next car and the X-Type was miles ahead of all of them for spec/engine size/features vs. cost - BMW don't even come with leather as standard FFS, and have very boring interiors - and we initially wanted a nice BMW for her, but after browsing dozens of them, most of the interiors are just plain drab! And some of the similar class Mercs look like big awkward tanks for 60+ business men.

So, OP, if you can get past the usual snobbery on here (usually from someone who probably drives a BMW 3 series, FFS), then get one. At least test drive one in Jaguar Ireland and make up your own mind. Or read some owner reviews online.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=jaguar+x-type+reviews&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I drive an XK which drives like a dream, and I still love driving her X-Type in comparison.

So do you want to be another common-as-muck Joe-estate-agent or mid-level desk clerk parked outside their legoland house with no driveway trying to show off that they're 'successful' by driving a low-spec BMW just so he can say he drives one, & walk around the supermarket holding his keys so everyone can see the logo: or do you want to drive a car with a bit of genuine class & character?

:rolleyes:

How profound, Elessar. Did I hit a nerve?

• Advertisement

How wonderful Poppy Cock! It's like reading something written by the little voice inside my head! Thanks for your reply!

Could I ask roughly what mileage yer wife gets from the 2.5? I was hoping for a 2.0D to keep the running costs down a little, but would still consider the 2.1L V6 for the extra fun factor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

How profound, Elessar. Did I hit a nerve?

He may be commenting on the fact that your 'mid-level desk clerk/legoland-house etc.' diatribe makes you sound like a conceited dick.

I guess I agree with the OP's assessment of the X-type though. It wouldn't be my cup of tea but he's done his homework and if the X-type really can be bought for a smallish premium over a Mondeo it's a great buy. I'd go for the 2.0d though.

I'd agree that Poppy's verse may have contained a little conceited leanings, but nonetheless I do know what he means. I have had many a conversation with fellow employees that goes along the lines of:

THEM: What do you drive?

ME: Nissan Almera.

THEM: You sad git! That's a poor mans car for poor people who cant afford better cars and are old and boring and poor!

ME: So what do you drive?

THEM: A BMW! (standing tall, shoulders back with a wry smile)

ME: Oh really? What type?

THEM: 316. Could've gone for the 320 but I wanted to be environmentally conscious.

ME: Ya. So what year is it?

THEM: Well, (uncomfortable) it's not new or anything, ya know.

ME: Right?

THEM: I got it for a song, that's the only reason I went for an older one. (cheeks a little red)

ME: So what year is it?

THEM: Em, 1995.

ME: Right, so my 4 year old Almera is worth twice as much as your BMW. You Fupping twat!

(Conversation above would normally be held with mid-level desk clerks like me incidentally.)

Anyhoo, I would certainly agree that an X-type is certainly less common than a BMW or Mondeo (or Almera, incidentally!), but I wonder if that says anything about it.... Hmmmmm. Still, they look great, drive great, perform great, and feel great. or so I'm told. Anyone else have any opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

While trying to be as P.C. as possible.....I think you need to be of a certain age to drive a Jag.

...Runs for cover

Ha ha!

You sound like my wife! Ha ha!
    You're not my wife are you? :eek:

You have no idea how many times I have heard that! I would agree only for the fact that it wasn't that long ago that the same could be said for BMW or Mercedes. Sure now everyone has at least one!

Jags have been a distraction of mine ever since I was a very small child. I was completely mesmerised by the XJS and XJ6. Beautiful things! Perhaps the realisation that I am now in a position to afford a reasonable second hand example is blinding me. However, for some reason, I am sure that when I am sitting comfortably in my powerful, quiet, comfortable machine on the motorway, looking at others in their cars, shivering while trying to get some warmth from their clapped out heater and shouting to their passengers over the road, wind and engine noise, I won't really care what they think about a late 20's bloke driving by in an X-Type.

Of course, if I end up taking my machine to the garage to fill up every other day, or if I have to face a ridiculously large bill for an unexpected service and repair, I'm sure I will envy those Mondeo drivers who have 763,499 miles on the clock and still haven't changed the oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd agree that Poppy's verse may have contained a little conceited leanings, but nonetheless I do know what he means. I have had many a conversation with fellow employees that goes along the lines of:

THEM: You sad git! That's a poor mans car for poor people who cant afford better cars and are old and boring and poor!

ME: So what do you drive?

THEM: A BMW! (standing tall, shoulders back with a wry smile)

ME: Oh really? What type?

THEM: 316. Could've gone for the 320 but I wanted to be environmentally conscious.

ME: Ya. So what year is it?

THEM: Well, (uncomfortable) it's not new or anything, ya know.

ME: Right?

THEM: I got it for a song, that's the only reason I went for an older one. (cheeks a little red)

ME: So what year is it?

THEM: Em, 1995.

ME: Right, so my 4 year old Almera is worth twice as much as your BMW. You Fupping twat!

(Conversation above would normally be held with mid-level desk clerks like me incidentally.)

Both cars are rubbish, don't be arguing on who's is less pathetic.

pburns wrote: »
    He may be commenting on the fact that your 'mid-level desk clerk/legoland-house etc.' diatribe makes you sound like a conceited dick.

Conceited? Consider the FACT that those people I commented about exist in droves: as you can also see from the conversation the OP just gave you a sample of.
    Drive through any of those overpriced new developments with no driveways or gardens, and you'll see a lot of low-spec BMWs. And my comments towards them was merely pointing out the fact that these people are the ones who have the nerve to make conceited comments about what other people drive (again, exactly like the sample conversation the OP just gave you) when they're the biggest sheep/suckers around. They want to drive a BMW just so they can say they drive a BMW - no matter how low-spec or how old it is. Is that in itself not conceited?
    I think you need to be of a certain age to drive a Jag.
    lol. I'm so hurt by that comment - maybe I should stop driving my Jaguar 4L V8 coupe, and trade it in for a BMW 316 so I feel younger, eh?

I would certainly agree that an X-type is certainly less common than a BMW or Mondeo (or Almera, incidentally!), but I wonder if that says anything about it.... Hmmmmm.

Yeah, it says that sheep follow stereotypes & trends. Nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

lol. I'm so hurt by that comment - maybe I should stop driving my Jaguar 4L V8 coupe, and trade it in for a BMW 316 so I feel younger, eh?

Careful, your in danger of turning full circle and turning into the snobs you refered to at the end of your 1st post;)
    By the way - who rattled your cage????

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have had many a conversation with fellow employees that goes along the lines of:

..............or if it's the ladeez:

Male: What are you driving yourself?

Female: Oh, it's a zero seven.

IMHO, you can not get more conceited than the arseholes who drive a 1988 BMW with smoke pouring out the back and which gets 45 mpg, only because it's burning more oil than petrol and who, when asked what they drive, say they drive 'a Beamer' or perhaps even volunteer the information once the topic of cars crops up, yet they never volunteer and in most cases avoid details such as year, mileage or the fact they got it as a straight trade for their 1996 Fiat Punto with the sports exhaust and neon "R-A-C-I-N-G" sun visor sticker which they put on themselves.

So, in fairness to Poppy (and let's face it, I like him because he thinks I should get the X-Type too, and therefore doubles the number of people behind this idea), he is pointing out the fact that a lot of these people exist, and if they could have their say here, they would suggest that the X-Type, or perhaps any other Jaguar is no better than a BMW or Mondeo or whatever simply becuase they have a BMW or Mondeo or whatever themselves.

So, to those who feel that the Jaguar X-Type is nothing more than a Mondeo in sheeps clothing, please let me know why you say so, because I need both sides of the argument here. Oh, and I hope it is based on experience of the Jaguar itself and not of your experience of Jaguar drivers....

Tanks a Tousand.

..............or if it's the ladeez:

Male: What are you driving yourself?

Female: Oh, it's a zero seven.

I'm still chuckling to myself! :)

It wouldn't be funny if it wasn't true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Here's my tuppence worth from a mondeo owners viewpoint.

The Mondeo tdci is a great all-round car. Its excellent to drive, its reliable (in my experience so far), and offers good fuel economy.
    The X-type which has the same underpinnings would be an excellent proposition. If the OP can get one for a small premium, I'd say go for it. Its different, and imo, a very attractive car. Also, the spec level to choose from in the secondhand market will probably be better than most mondeo's.

Would I buy one? - Yes, if it didnt cost too much extra. Otherwise no, as the Mondeo its based on is still an excellent car, and I'd keep the money in my pocket.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2.0d could be a good import buy. Jags don't hold massive value in the UK.

2.5V6 is a good used purchase here.

Thanks gyppo! The good thing about the 2.0D X-Type is that I have two sources of info to go on - the Jags and the Mondys.

Henry F III, I was shocked at the prices in the UK. They are soooooo cheap! Just that damn ridiculous VRT here. Feels mad to spend 10,000 euro on a car in the UK only to pay 6,500 in VRT when you get here. Nonetheless, as you say, the value in the UK is second to none.

Note your opinion on the 2.5 V6.

Anyone have any info/opinion on the 2.1 V6?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Rubbish - the Mondeo does all those things too, they're the same car! The Mondeo would have all those exact driving characteristics too, since the X-Type's chassis is straight off a Mondeo. The amount of parts in the X-Type taken straight out of the Mondeo is unbelievable. The X-Type does NOT come with 4WD as standard. Only the 2.5 and 3.0 versions. The 2.0, 2.0D and 2.2D are FWD(a FWD Jag? Any Jag enthusiast will tell you that proper Jags drive ONLY the back wheels). You clearly don't know a lot about BMWs or Jags with the sweeping statements you made. The base X-Type has wind up back windows, only air con, and no alloys as standard, surprise surprise thats what base spec 3 series and A4's came with(actually the A4 had alloys and full climate control although the 1.6 and TDI 100 had no alloys) too. An SE spec 3 series has all those "high spec" items you mentioned in the X-Type(just cause you don't have a base model X-Type). Find a UK spec 3 series, the SE model was extremely popular there(they brought it in here in 2004).
    PoppyCock wrote:

Leather isn't standard on basic X-Types either, same as the BMW. You just bought a high spec one, big deal. High spec cars always have better interiors, go to the UK and look at an SE spec 3 series, far superior to a standard 3 series interior.

Anyone have any info/opinion on the 2.1 V6?

No personal experience, but the stats show it has the fuel consumption of a 6 cylinder engine and the performance of a 4 cylinder engine, so not exactly a good recepie. Of course being a 6 cylinder engine, it has a superior noise that only a 6 cylinder engine can make and better refinement because of the extra cylinders too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Avoid 2.1 V6.

E92, I think you misunderstood Poppy Cock's post. His wife's car is a 2.5 V6 with all that that entails.

The 1 thing any Jag has is relative rarity. BMW's are common place now, with the 3 series outselling the old model Mondeo in the UK.

Older 4 pot petrols are everywhere here too. Slow and with a distinct chav element driving the oldest cheapest ones I find.

E92 wrote: »
    No personal experience, but the stats show it has the fuel consumption of a 6 cylinder engine and the performance of a 4 cylinder engine, so not exactly a good recepie. Of course being a 6 cylinder engine, it has a superior noise that only a 6 cylinder engine can make and better refinement because of the extra cylinders too.

Interesting. Thanks for that E92. I had read one or two reviews that suggested that the 2.1 Petrol was a bit of a gas guzzler. Looks like it'll be the 2.0D so.

Oh and incidentally, I read that the X-Type has 19% commonality with the Mondeo. Not enough to call them the same car IMHO. Similar perhaps but not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I always read up on whatcar before buying, lots of useful info there

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/used-car-summary.aspx?RT=2650&type=1

Interesting. Thanks for that E92. I had read one or two reviews that suggested that the 2.1 Petrol was a bit of a gas guzzler. Looks like it'll be the 2.0D so.

Oh and incidentally, I read that the X-Type has 19% commonality with the Mondeo. Not enough to call them the same car IMHO. Similar perhaps but not the same.

It depends on which X-Type you're talking about! If its a 2.5 or 3.0, the engines are nothing to do with the Mondeo AFAIK, it has 4WD which also isn't found on the Ford(but the Mondeo Mk3's chassis was designed to take 4WD, so there could just as easily have been a 4WD Mondeo if Ford wanted to make one).

But the chassis is the same, and that is a very important bit of a car to be the same, and a lot of the minor bits like the headlight switches and some of the other switchgear in the dash is straight out of a Ford.

A diesel X-Type has exactly the same drive configuration as a Mondeo, and either diesel is exactly the same engine as the equivalent Mondeo(apparantly Jaguar changed the engine very slightly so that it would be more Jag like i.e. smoother, but it is really an engine out of a Transit van, with more power and less noise). Bascially it might look different inside and out, but depending on the model(diesel in particular),the bits of the car you can't see are a Mondeo. Of course you might point out that the VW Golf and Audi A3 are different cars, but the truth is the same as with the Mondeo and X-Type, the look different, but some/all the bits that can't be seen are the same.

As for the 2.0 X-Type(in spite of being a 2.1 as you correctly wrote, it was badged as a 2.0) petrol, 30 mpg isn't a "gas guzzler" or anything like it. Gas guzzlers do mid teens in terms of mpg! But the 2.0D should average around 50 mpg.

@Henry Ford III: I've read what Poppy Cock had to say again and what he said was that BMW's come with diddly squat as standard(which was true in the days before BMW started importing the cars themselves FWIW) and the X-Type was loaded with goodies Lexus style, when basic X-Types are no better than entry level BMW's, and he made a few other sweeping statements and posted stuff that was simply untrue. As for rarity, its a blessing and a curse I suppose, BMW's seem to be everywhere and they're all fecking 316i's. On the plus side it means that they have strong resale values. The biggest cost of running a car is after all depreciation.

E92,

I hear where you're coming from. I suppose the 2.0D in particular is pretty similar to the Mondeo. All in all that's no bad thing from what I can gather.

I agree with your gas guzzler analysis! 30mpg isn't all that bad I suppose! But it seems that the mediocre performance of the 2.1 doesn't make up for the higher fuel bills. Quite a few reviews seem to hint that many are not getting 30mpg from their 2.1's but I guess it is very dependent on the type of driving they do.

Still, as petrol/diesel prices are likely to move in just one direction over the next few years, 50mpg is sounding pretty attractive!

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what the main differences are between the features offered on the X-Type Classic vs the SE or Luxury or Sport.....

Thanks,

TMA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I hear where you're coming from. I suppose the 2.0D in particular is pretty similar to the Mondeo. All in all that's no bad thing from what I can gather.

Nope, it isn't. I don't even see the big deal about RWD either. 99.9% of people will struggle to see a difference in normal driving conditions, myself included. If all it is a slightly more stylish and unusual mondeo then it justifies its existance IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement