Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions: December 2007

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Frost overnight here, quickly gone though, high thin cloud moving in.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Different night out tonight :(. 9.1c and overcast..........yippee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Different night out tonight :(. 9.1c and overcast..........yippee.

Same temp...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

stay off the de-icer when we do get the forst that you miss so much it has a bad habbit of rotting windscreen wipers (in 1-2 days u'll see the effect) and it will also eat into your rubber around your windscreen..#

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED HA HA HA HA HA

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Mothman wrote: »
    Same temp...

warmer here.:(

10.4c and steady..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

stay off the de-icer when we do get the forst that you miss so much it has a bad habbit of rotting windscreen wipers (in 1-2 days u'll see the effect) and it will also eat into your rubber around your windscreen..#

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED HA HA HA HA HA

Thanks and thank god for global warming! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Going to much like this for the next 4 days.

Then cooler

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well I get plenty of frosty mornings here (at least I did last year) and had a pretty heavy frost this morning (overnight got down to -1.6°C).

Best way of clearing it is to get in the car, start it, turn up the heating full blast then pour cold water over the windscreen then go back inside and potter about for a few minutes, then when you come back out the car is toasty warm and the windows are clear! (and no rotted wipers!).

That said my next car wil have air con and heated front windscreen.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

to longfeild
    sounds like it works but you'd be greener and have a longer lived engine if you used some warm water and drove off straight away.. just make sure water is not too hot( you should be able to hold your hand in it) and you first pour it on the steel roof to take the kick out of..warming HOT WATER CAN CRACK WINDSCREENS., COLD WATER IN HOT ENGINE CAN CRACK ENGINE BLOCK
    Meet a farmer once in midlands who told me to pour two or three pots of hot water over heater plugs and diesel injection pump( if heater plugs broken only) on a cold morning to get engine started.. sure enough i had do do it once but it works and might get you or any other diesel drivers out of bother.. hope this was of some interest if not help full

drive safe

Mild and bright.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Dull. No wind really.

Mike.

Duller than a photocopier sales conference.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

mike65 wrote: »
    Duller than a photocopier sales conference.

Mike.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Cool , overcast, no wind..max 8.6°C min 6.4°C bleugh..someone wake me up when this passes.
    Come back zonality, all is forgiven.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

No wind? Windy here, est. 40k gusts, ave around 25k

Dry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

ch750536 wrote: »
    No wind? Windy here, est. 40k gusts, ave around 25k

Dry though.
    You have a tighter pressure gradiant over there as the fronts are pushing in against the HP.
    Calm here too and cloudy.Some places in UK,temps have not rose above 2c since tuesday,under the influence of this wrong positioned high.What a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Cool, boring, dry air but was breezy earlier...exciting stuff indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Same nothingness here all day too, but getting cold now, temp down to 1.2C at the moment.

At first I thought my station was reading way too low when I noticed Casement was at 6C, but Dublin Airport is down to 2C so maybe it's not, feels a lot colder than 6C outside anyway. Either way, that's a big temp difference over a small distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

nemonoid wrote: »
    Same nothingness here all day too, but getting cold now, temp down to 1.2C at the moment.

At first I thought my station was reading way too low when I noticed Casement was at 6C, but Dublin Airport is down to 2C so maybe it's not, feels a lot colder than 6C outside anyway. Either way, that's a big temp difference over a small distance.

Surprised by the coolness here tonight, a slight frost on the cars here.

That is an extraordinary temp extreme difference,i have 7.9c,howth at 7.6c(summit) and airport at 2c which i think is wrong or maybe a typo.Never is the airport more than 1.5 to 2c difference than where i am and that is pushing it to the max limit in difference which only occurs on still clear nights.

Maybe MM can check this out tommorow for us as it doesn't sound correct.
    All weather stations here by the coast are follows
    Mothman 8.1c
    Trogdor 8.3c
    Me 7.9c
    Howth 7.6c
    Lads in the mountains
    Arctictree 5.6c
    Longfield 6.5c
    So i think a definite typo has occured.
    Fohn wind over dublin from mountains aswell as a UHI still would not have an extreme effect as in the case of temp difference as the air is not dry with dews at 5c and hum 82%

My station now reading 0.6C, slight grass frost and some on the shed roof too, it's definitly cold out here, nice clear crisp night, stars in full view.

Airport is reading 2C again at midnight, Casement down to 5C.

Is it clear out your way Snowbie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snowbie wrote: »
    That is an extraordinary temp extreme difference,i have 7.9c,howth at 7.6c(summit) and airport at 2c which i think is wrong or maybe a typo.Never is the airport more than 1.5 to 2c difference than where i am and that is pushing it to the max limit in difference which only occurs on still clear nights.

Maybe MM can check this out tommorow for us as it doesn't sound correct.
    All weather stations here by the coast are follows
    Mothman 8.1c
    Trogdor 8.3c
    Me 7.9c
    Howth 7.6c
    Lads in the mountains
    Arctictree 5.6c
    Longfield 6.5c
    So i think a definite typo has occured.
    Fohn wind over dublin from mountains aswell as a UHI still would not have an extreme effect as in the case of temp difference as the air is not dry with dews at 5c and hum 82%

Probably a mistake alright. I noticed last night as well though that Dublin Airport was reading 4C while i was reading something like 9C

nemonoid wrote: »
    My station now reading 0.6C, slight grass frost and some on the shed roof too, it's definitly cold out here, nice clear crisp night, stars in full view.

Airport is reading 2C again at midnight, Casement down to 5C.

Is it clear out your way Snowbie?
    Totally clear.I can see why you are experiencing low temps in Saggart as you would be sheltered from the wind from the mountains and maximum radiating heat loss but its not 2c here i can tell you 2 miles from the airport.

trogdor wrote: »
    Probably a mistake alright. I noticed last night as well though that Dublin Airport was reading 4C while i was reading something like 9C
    We are talking 6c here alright in difference with my station and AP.Very interesting if it where true but i doubt it.

Totally clear.I can see why you are experiencing low temps in Saggart as you would be sheltered from the wind from the mountains and maximum radiating heat loss but its not 2c here i can tell you 2 miles from the airport.

I'm only about 2 miles from Casement too, I'm just worried my station is reading too low, down to 0.4C now. Seems a huge difference between yourself or Trogdor to myself, nearly 8 degrees.

I grew up in D5 and have worked in Citywest for nearly 7 years now but only living out this wasy the last two. I always thought it was colder out here but not by that much!

Does the METAR data from EIDW come from the same source as the Met site? It's reading 4C there now as of 12:30.

The Artane/Raheny area i guess your from,thats some travel out to Citywest.There would be a big difference in temp compared to your inland and higher elevation to the coast here aswell as onshore breeze's to keep the temp up a tad here.

Dont doubt your temp is inaccurate,as i said your sheltered area sounds correct in recording your present temp in this setup.You should have a subzero ground temp with frost from your air temp reading which is easy to check if walked on grass.It crunches.

Its the difference in temp in this case extreme with a close proximity to the AP thats huge that has caught my attention and again i think is wrong.Defo no frost around here.

The Artane/Raheny area i guess your from,thats some travel out to Citywest.There would be a big difference in temp compared to your inland and higher elevation to the coast here aswell as onshore breeze's to keep the temp up a tad here.

It was indeed, 60km of M50 hell every day, motorbike helped a bit, but quite a few times I left Artane in rain only to end up sliding my way along Citywest Road in the snow!

Down to -0.4C now with a decent amount of frost on the grass and roofs. Airport now reading 6C with Casement now down to 3C. Didn't really expect any frost at all tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Dull and overcast here. Light southerly wind and temp of 4.0c

This is typical mid December gloom from the continent. Pressure is too high for any precip but too low for any sunshine...Hopefully that will change one way or another!

A

Y'know that photocopier conference?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

same here, Dull and cold. reading 8.8c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A bit late into Dublin AP vs surrounding area discussion.
    For a start it won't be a typo, as its all automated. Yes the station is manned, but that to me means that the instruments are unlikely to be faulty. So an incorrect readings would be the bottom of my list for explaining 6C difference across couple miles.
    Dublin AP min was 0.8C

So rather than assume its wrong, lets start with theories as to why it could be right.

I think distance from sea and clear skies above Dublin AP, Snowbie being closer. This difference not usually mattering, and Dublin AP is fairly exposed, but maybe for once it did. Perhaps it was cloudy east of Snowbie and although Snowbie reported clear, radiation cooling was perhaps not happening, but a mile or 2 away, it was. It can be that local!

Past experience has led me not to doubt differences of readings across small distances, no matter how improbable it seems.

For example
    Clear sky, 1.2m temp +2C, 0.05m grass temp -6C. 8c difference in temp, distance 4ft. I do realise, that one temp is air and another an object, but I'm just highlighting a large range of temp over a few feet.

Another example of an extreme temp difference was 1st/2nd feb 2005. It should be in archives here. It wasn't as local as 2 miles, but still very local. Read on.

High pressure, c1040hPa, similar conditons as we are experiencing now, plenty of gloom :(

Then one day, 1st feb 2005, the gloom during morning lifted from overhead. But *only* from east of the mountains. I could see the cloud to north, east and west for whole afternoon. I recorded 3.7h sunshine, other station recorded non. This hole remained into the night. The wind dropped to almost calm. My temp plummeted from 9-10C like everywhere else, and it dropped and dropped. Meanwhile all the synoptic stations remained above 5C. By midnight, I was down to -3C, Dublin AP, Casement, Rosslare etc, were at 9C (though temps were lower there earlier in night). I could find no other temp below +3c for Britain and Ireland for the 1st. I was the only one with a hole overhead.
    The cloud rolled over by 2am, and the temp rose above 0C and by dawn, it was 6C.
    Then that afternoon, there was another break in clouds and the temp soared with the sunshine to a max of 11.7C, the highest in Britian and Ireland for that day.

So the min of -2.8C and max of 11.7C were the highest and lowest temp in Britian and Ireland for 2nd Feb 2005.

So since then I've hardly batted an eyelid when I see temp differences across small distances. Clearly, the low temp at Dublin AP can't be explained by frost hollow, but the 10m wind was only a force 2, this could translate into calm at 1.2m, preventing a mixing of the warmer air aloft and the cooled air at ground level.

Advertisement