Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital fundamentals book

Options
  • 01-12-2007 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying Digital Fundamentals by Thomas L. Floyd just as a reference book for my Computer Architecture class. I used it a few times last year when I was studying electronics.

Do I need to buy the latest edition of this book (uber expensive!) Will one of the last 3 or 4 editions do or will they be out of date as i'm told? I only need this as a reference, I won't need all the latest in the field.

Thanks..

p.s. I'm not sure if this is the correct thread..if not feel free to move it!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Well it really depends on what your course covers I suppose.

If your course is bang up to date in its course content and practical requirements then having access to the most recent edition would be an advantage.

I have found most Digital Design/Fundamentals/Logic books tend to vary little from edition to edition; but the more advanced the subject matter within the book the more it will change.

I guess the best advice I can give you is ask the lecturer in question or maybe someone who is in a later year of the course. Or maybe try getting access to one of the older editions and trying to find a newer edition somewhere to compare the pertinant chapters?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ronivek wrote: »
    I guess the best advice I can give you is ask the lecturer in question

Ultimately, this is the best advice.

However, as somebody who has lectured Computer Architecture at third level, I would say the fundamentals don't change, so an older version of the book would certainly do.

I am not familiar with that particular author (I used Digital Systems by Toci and Widmer, btw), but looking at the Prentice Hall website, the latest version certainly covers the basics, so I would imagine and older version would too.

Advertisement