Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamhack Sweden, Moves 40Gbits!

Options
  • 01-12-2007 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

40gbitnyhet.jpg

Hi, I'm just after realizing that a 3 days Computer Festival in Sweden (Dreamhack.se), where the World Largest LANing Party takes place moves more internet traffic then Ireland!!, 40GBits of bandwidth has been allocated to support over 8000!! gamers!! if you ask me Ireland doesn't even come to close half that!! from a national level! (total data in and out of the country)

Again this is another god dame good reason that Ireland need to get real and get with the times! and it's not only a push for the Government needs to do, but we need to understand that, well that I.T is already the way, no good throwing a blind eye to technology!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

if you ask me Ireland doesn't even come to close half that!! from a national level! (total data in and out of the country)

You'd be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Moriarty wrote: »
    You'd be wrong.

What is it now, 100,000 users on an average of 3mbps? That's 300,000mbps or 30Gb/s...

I had a reply agreeing with you then I actually did do the maths and changed it... That's a lot of bandwidth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There's more to the internet than broadband customers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Enjoy! :D
    This is the most recent Graph
    87.76.255.6_14-day.png

http://stats.event.dreamhack.se/87.76.255.6_14.html

sdonn_1
    What is it now, 100,000 users on an average of 3mbps? That's 300,000mbps or 30Gb/s...

i dont think that would be a great way to make an estimate

More info hear on the various trunks, etc..
    http://stats.event.dreamhack.se/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Moriarty wrote: »
    There's more to the internet than broadband customers :)

Exactly and with all the business customer its far higher that 40GB of traffic. NTL\UPC "rents" some of it fibre and I'm told there is one of them putting terabytes of data down it. And Thats just one of the business customer.

• Advertisement

Well they done it again this year!, the biggest ever LAN yet!
    NEW WORLD RECORD! – 10.445 computers at DreamHack Winter 2007!
    Publicerat 1 december av DreamHack-redaktionen
    Just minutes ago the Minister for Communication Åsa Torstensson announced that DreamHack has once again set a new world record for number of computers connected in the network; the new record is the amazing number 10.455 computers!
    – It is with great joy that I can announce that DreamHack has set a new world record, said Minister for Communication Åsa Torstensson.
    She also said that the participants should continue to play computer games since their knowledge is unique and that all that they know is the”future”.
    The exact number of visitors will be announced after the event, tomorrow Sunday. After that all the paperwork will be sent to Guinness World Records in order to make it official.

Webcam:
    http://webcam.event.dreamhack.se/
    Video Highlights
    http://media.event.dreamhack.se/

P.S probably the Broadband forum may not be the best place to post this, but see that it's getting attention i'd thought i'd add this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

There's probably in excess of 150GBit/s going out of Ireland. It's a shame there's no graph that aggregates all the transit links from all the providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Still at busy times there is significant contention on Transatlantic traffic. Anyone selling you "uncontended" is only talking about access to their backhaul. Not access on their backhaul, INEX or USA etc...

There are plenty of sites no faster on 20Mbps connection direct to Dublin MAN than on an shared to whole household 3Mbps in Limerick. (most of them :( )

flamegrill: There's probably in excess of 150GBit/s going out of Ireland. It's a shame there's no graph that aggregates all the transit links from all the providers.

I'd agree that a combined aggregation for date would fall around that value, however it is a pitty their could be something to show usage, i like the little map HEAnet has, http://www.hea.net
    it shows all the connected members and their bandwidth, + the various different routes the HEA interface to.

i can see my estimation was false but after talking to a few of the ISP's at the event they are surprised with a few countries in europe with the broadband tthey provide, that the equipment they install can in most cases provide twice to 10 times!! then the amount of bandwidth that is currently been provided to the customer. the approch they take is different even though their is different speed for each package, the connection utilizes at least 50% of the connection, and in most cases this is in excess of 60Mbits!

Advertisement