Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teeth grinding in sleep

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    There's a new device out now to stop grinding. It goes over your top and bottom two front teeth and is connectd in the middle. Stops your teeth from closing on each other. Bite splints actually promote grinding because you're chewing the rubbery feeling tooth guard.
    Do you have any more info on this Lil Kitten, I clench my teeth every night and I'm pushing one of my lower teeth out right now...:(
    Gum shields don't work as they don't stop the clenching down force on my lower teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I sometimes have dreams where I'm eating and quite often I bite my lip which wakes me up fairly rapidly. Not sure if I grind my teeth regularly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Ginny wrote: »
    Do you have any more info on this Lil Kitten, I clench my teeth every night and I'm pushing one of my lower teeth out right now...:(
    Gum shields don't work as they don't stop the clenching down force on my lower teeth.

Yea, it's called an NTI appliance. Seapoint Dental do them

adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=1438,397,62,5,1,Documents&MediaID=2169&Filename=nti-appliance.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I started grinding my teeth quite vigorously a while ago, but managed to stop it before it got too bad. I was just really, really stressed and the way it manifested itself was through grinding my teeth. Luckily it subsided pretty quickly, but I'm still clenching my jaw a bit but at least it's not as bad as teeth grinding.

A friend of mine grinds her teeth really really badly and has to wear a guard every time she sleeps. It's made out of plastic.

Definitely I'd get some sort of protection for your teeth and then work on trying to sort out what's causing you to grind your teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I've been doing this for as long as I remember. Pretty stressed at the moment so been especially bad -walking up feeling like my head, jaws and teeth are going to explode from the pain. Need to start running again :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 carrickmilo

I stopped grinding once my lower jaw was moved forward with a repositioning appliance. I know this because a) my teeth aren't sore in the morning and b) there are no wear patterns on the appliance

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matamoros1965

I have a pain in my jaw on right side which I am assuming is me grinding at night. I have no extra anxiety in my life but I have started to go to bed earlier in the last two weeks when I'm not tired, I wake up a few times in the night and realise that I am not really deep sleeping. I'm wondering if not going into a deep enough sleep is encouraging anxiety type dreaming ( no disrespect intended to the people who propose the idea that anxiety is not the issue ). If this is a factor, I'd have to stay up until I was tired which is a shame 'cos I love bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I am on lookout for good dentist any where in the country that has done this gum guard, to stop the grinding and causing terrible pain due to fifth craniel nerve

Advertisement