Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lotus Exige or Porsche 911 (996)

Options
  • 01-12-2007 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

If you had a choice between a new Lotus Exige and a 2001 Porsche 911 which would you go for? I am looking to buy a car in the new year, around the €60k mark, and these are two cars that I like. I have driven the exige on the track before and it was serious fun. The 911 was my dream car as a kid.

Any comments or observations on either of these?

Thanks,
    Randomer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Exige... deffo, get an exige S!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Would you even manage to find a 996 911 around the €60k mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I haven't driven either, but I have the feeling I might prefer a 993 to a 996. As regards the Lotus, you have to ask yourself whether you could really survive without rear seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Two seat isn't a problem for me. I have had two seaters for the last four years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

The Exige is a great track day car but it is a compromise on the road. They are small, hard to get in and out of every day, and will cook you in hot weather (more so than an Elise)
    My suggestion would be to borrow a demo Exige for a weekend. Forget the track stuff for a moment. If you can live with it as a road car, you'll love it on track.

• Advertisement

Thanks Motormouth. How would I go about borrowing one? Is it like an extended test drive?

give linders a call, they have a few there now and the Orange Exige S is a stunner!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

Yip,
    www.linders.ie
    Tell them I sent you. Used to do some hot laps and driver training for them.
    Leo

Motormouth wrote: »
    Yip,
    www.linders.ie
    Tell them I sent you. Used to do some hot laps and driver training for them.
    Leo

Thanks Leo. I will give them a call on monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smartypantz

911!!

Then I'm biased! :) Don't know about the Lotus, but the Carrera is great on the road (just stay out of the Irish pot holes! :rolleyes:) and amazing on the track!

Also, very active owners scene, nationally and internationally.

• Advertisement

randomer wrote: »
    Thanks Leo. I will give them a call on monday.
    do.. I've been out with the Exige S... amazing car!
    1468804223_f26f57d5c0.jpg1465250766_4be320384c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lawlynch

Not sure if you made a choice yet - but depends really on what you want out of it? The 911 would be more practical and is a classier car. The Lotus is a great track car and looks a bit boy-racery but not as practical or comfortable for day to day use. Both are however great drivers car's. My advice is follow your dreams!

Advertisement