Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romney buys votes in Straw Poll.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

.. what?

What's the vote for exactly? The guy says its not against the rules, whatever it is? The linked story doesn't really explain anything either.

/sighs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yeah, I didn't really understand what was going on there - I assume it's just an unofficial poll like you'd see in a newspaper etc?

What I do know is that the camera man's a moron... unless it's an actual Governmental vote you can't describe it as undemocratic and you can only aportion so much blame to the people who take advantage of the system - the majority should lie with the person who allowed such a flaw in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

From reading around, Straw poll is an "honour based" voting system that has nonbinding results. It is used to bring a topic up for discussion or to prove that a particular person/topic is popular. In US it appears it is used somewhat in determining who should be picked up by the party.

Voting more then once is prohibited, but not enforced. So appears perfectly legal to buy peoples votes and spam the counts, even though it is unethical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Hobbes wrote: »
    From reading around, Straw poll is an "honour based" voting system that has nonbinding results. It is used to bring a topic up for discussion or to prove that a particular person/topic is popular. In US it appears it is used somewhat in determining who should be picked up by the party.

Voting more then once is prohibited, but not enforced. So appears perfectly legal to buy peoples votes and spam the counts, even though it is unethical.

Aren't the caucuses what determines who the party should pick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I guerss those guys voting are with them are just not bothered.
    they must be ron paul people behind the camera, remember ron paul people going on about winning or getting second place in straw polls

• Advertisement
Advertisement