Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smart Roadster Brabus

Options
  • 01-12-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this model in Ireland? I've seen a roadster once in Dublin but not the Brabus tuned version.

Considering buying one next year - 50MPG, 101bhp (120 if you tune it further) out of a 699cc engine, cheap road tax and it looks good.

If anyone has any thoughts on this car i'd like to hear them :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I drive one! They are great fun. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hey :)
    Did you have to import it from the UK? Have you the convertible version - I heard some of the convertibles have leaking issues? Is the boot space enough (shopping for 1 person, sometimes camping gear) and is there any space behind the back seats and the boot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Do you not think they are well over priced.Also i think you will have hassle trying to sell it here as i have been following a few smarts up for sale on carzone and they still havnt sold.They have been up for over 1 year.In my opinion i wouldnt go near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smartypantz

Got a drive in the Brabus Roadster this summer. It sticks to the road, cornering is phenomenal for such a small car, even has launch control!

Its no Carrera (my summer car), but for 700cc and a weight of 10oz, it *will* put a smile on your face!

Don't know about Irish pricing, though I suspect it won't be cheap.

The Irish owners site is www.smartcarireland.net and the Irish forum is on www.smartz.co.uk

BTW:I'm a fortwo ower, no sports car, but I love 'em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

They dont still make them........do they?????????

• Advertisement

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    They dont still make them........do they?????????

At the moment they're not in production, however they are going to be producing more of the roadsters in 2008.
    Do you not think they are well over priced.Also i think you will have hassle trying to sell it here as i have been following a few smarts up for sale on carzone and they still havnt sold.They have been up for over 1 year.In my opinion i wouldnt go near them.

I think you're confusing the Roadster with the ForTwo and the other little tiddly Smarts. The roadster is actually difficult to buy in Ireland, most people seem to get them in the UK. They are not overpriced at all for a Brabus tuned Mercedes engined and designed car, 699cc producing 101BHP doing over 50MPG, what's not to like?

Unfortunately, I can't buy this car as the insurance quotes i've gotten have been ridiculous - nearly 4 grand and i'm a 26 year old female with 1 years no claims bonus, driving for 3 years and a full license!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

There was a Brabus for sale on carzone during the Summer obviously sold ! I think they must be a good seller if priced correctly there has been a few roadsters for sale this year and they look like they sold as they aren't on Carzone anymore.
    Sorry to hear about your insurance problems sounds a bit mad !!

That insurance seems mad.

I am 28, I have 5+ years no claims, and my insurance on the brabus is about €420. I did get a silly quote from axa of about €1500.

I got my car in the UK. I did have a smart roadster coupe before, but I had terrible problems with it. It never broke down, but I didn't like when it rained. It 9 months in the dealers in its 18 month life. Then smart uk agreed to buy it back from me and I got the brabus.

With the brabus though, the leaking problem is almost completely gone. I get a few drops in the wingmirrors every now and then, but nothing bad. The only problem I have had with the brabus, apart from a few punctures, is the window wiper motor blew. It was under warranty and they just replaced it.

It is a really fun car, and it is surprisingly comfortable. Leather heated seats, air conditioning, paddle shift, electric roof etc. It is not sports car fast, but it feels like you are going quicker than you are because you are only 6 inches off the ground. I have had friends of mine who think because it only has a 700cc engine it will be really slow. They all drive much more powerful cars, but once they have a go, they are converted!

I am going to get a new car in the new year, but there is no way I am going to sell the roadster. It is too much fun. I think it is a car for life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

seasam wrote: »
    There was a Brabus for sale on carzone during the Summer obviously sold ! I think they must be a good seller if priced correctly there has been a few roadsters for sale this year and they look like they sold as they aren't on Carzone anymore.
    Sorry to hear about your insurance problems sounds a bit mad !!

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=695644

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Another important thing to consider (depending on the type of person you are! ;)) is the image this car gives out!!

I believe that I know randomer, and if it isn't him I knew another owner of a brabus tuned roadster, and they got endless grief from the girls in the sports club we were both in about driving a "toy car". And he also had to deal with the shame, and safety risk, of driving a 'regular' smart car out to training on the M50 whenever the roadster was being repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=695644

It wasn't that one it was a silver 2005 I was talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

When I drove the MINI Cooper S for the first time, I drove it back to back with a roadster brabus. And holy crap, the brabus blew me away. I thought it was just fun, different, and fast ... and I would love to have one someday too. Go for it OP!

Another important thing to consider (depending on the type of person you are! ;)) is the image this car gives out!!

I believe that I know randomer, and if it isn't him I knew another owner of a brabus tuned roadster, and they got endless grief from the girls in the sports club we were both in about driving a "toy car". And he also had to deal with the shame, and safety risk, of driving a 'regular' smart car out to training on the M50 whenever the roadster was being repaired.

There goes my anonymity! :eek:

Being a girl and all, that wouldn't really bother me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smartypantz

And he also had to deal with the shame, and safety risk, of driving a 'regular' smart car out to training on the M50 whenever the roadster was being repaired.
    Cobblers!!! :p:D:p

Have driven fortwos (the original SmartCar) for years, couldn't care less what others thought of it! Anyhow, you'll get attitude regardless of the car you choose!

As for safety, all smarts are *very* safe. Much better than some 4x4s I can think of! :rolleyes:

If the insurance is a problem, why not consider the standard Roadster. You can always remap it for extra performance.
    I'm insured with FBD, very reasonable. They quoted the fortwo and Roadies at the same rate.

Good luck!

Advertisement