Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music and money

Options
  • 01-12-2007 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Does anyone think how rich or poor a person is will have any impact on what music they listen to?

I've a friend who went to art college, now and again i've been out with him and some of his college mates (they're grand i've no problems with them), but there is one thing i've noticed; the vast majority of them come from wealthy backgrounds and they all seem to listen to the same indie bollocks.

My younger brother hangs around with a load of little mini-scummers (all mopeds and mohawks), most of them come from more 'average' backgrounds, and they all listen to the same m&m, 50p, scoopy-scoopy-dogg-dogg sh1te.

Think its class or just people wanting to fit in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Why is this in the alt/indie forum? So we wealthy types might defend our indie bollocks?

Music is bloody vast so sticking to one genre is about comfort zones, I should imagine people coming out the other side of art college should have a more mature perception of music. What is the same indie bollocks tbh? I dunno, I'm in art college, come from a fairly mixed background, never really been hard up but I listen to all sorts. I got frustrated with hip hop and metal a couple of years back because the majority of both of them is so saturated in bravado that originality goes out the window.

Nature versus nurture, tbh, I just think that a lot of people aren't as interested in music as they would say they are. Then again, other people are anal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yap Stam wrote: »
    Does anyone think how rich or poor a person is will have any impact on what music they listen to?

Only with reguards to the quantity of CDs they buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Yap Stam

But these days you don't need to buy c.d.s- its pretty much open to everyone to listen to everything they want cos theres no cost anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Gonna move this to general music as it seems to not really pertain to the Alt/Indie section but rather music as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yap Stam wrote: »

Yes, I think this is the case. Working class types are more likely to listen to pop music/hip hop/craptastic dance music. Wealthy, older middle class types are more likely to listen to jazz or opera. I can't explain why this is, but I think its true (with exceptions of course). The same is true for tastes in fashion - cost isn't a factor either. Eg a working class kid is more likely to wear Nike Air shoes whereas a well-off person might wear Dubarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

cornbb wrote: »
    Yes, I think this is the case. Working class types are more likely to listen to pop music/hip hop/craptastic dance music. Wealthy, older middle class types are more likely to listen to jazz or opera. I can't explain why this is, but I think its true (with exceptions of course). The same is true for tastes in fashion - cost isn't a factor either. Eg a working class kid is more likely to wear Nike Air shoes whereas a well-off person might wear Dubarry.

It's nothing to do with money or income, it's all about wanting to fit in.

The clothes people wear and the music they listen to are mostly based on peer pressure. "well off" people would listen to indie or wear dubes because they think that's what they're supposed to do, while scangery types would wear tracksuits and listen to that 50 pence chap because otherwise they'd be a bleedin' faggih!

This, obviously, isn't the case with everyone, mostly just closed minded people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Sofaspud wrote: »

I agree, but I said it isn't about money/expense, its about class. Skanger kids will want to fit in with skanger kids, goth kids will want to fit in with goth kids, etc. There is a definite class distinction involved.

cornbb wrote: »
    I agree, but I said it isn't about money/expense, its about class. Skanger kids will want to fit in with skanger kids, goth kids will want to fit in with goth kids, etc. There is a definite class distinction involved.

Whether or not kids are scangers / goths etc has very little to do with "class" though. I know some scangers who are spoiled rich kids, parents buy them cars, apartments etc, but they act and look the exact same as other scangers. Likewise, I grew up in ballymun and am one of the least scangery people you're likely to meet. Although somehow I manage to get on with scangers, I'm "dah sound hippy bloke!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Sofaspud wrote: »

The clothes people wear and the music they listen to are mostly based on peer pressure. "well off" people would listen to indie or wear dubes because they think that's what they're supposed to do, while scangery types would wear tracksuits and listen to that 50 pence chap because otherwise they'd be a bleedin' faggih!

This, obviously, isn't the case with everyone, mostly just closed minded people.

Hit the nail on the head right there. I had a chat with a charming young man wearing his nike/tracksuit uniform last week and he was telling me about 'deadly' dance music. When I mentioned some rock/metal music, he said he liked some of it but wouldn't listen to it becasuse his mates would think he was a '****in' weirdo goth'

• Advertisement

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Hit the nail on the head right there. I had a chat with a charming young man wearing his nike/tracksuit uniform last week and he was telling me about 'deadly' dance music. When I mentioned some rock/metal music, he said he liked some of it but wouldn't listen to it becasuse his mates would think he was a '****in' weirdo goth'

Except Thin Lizzy, of course. They can like them because they're Irish, and therefore bleedin' rapih.

And "dah teachor leave dem kids alone" one is deadly as well!

Advertisement