Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Dryers in Cycle Lanes

Options
  • 01-12-2007 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

:mad:

Folks,

Not sure if this has been covered but am I the only one pi$$ed off with Mopeds & Motorbikes using Cyclelanes & Bus Lanes.

I cycle into work regardless of the weather and the amount of low-spec Mopeds using the cyclelanes and bus lanes is incredible. The cops 'enforcing' operation freeflow don't seem to give a damn and just let them cruise on by.

The Motorcyclists seem to give cyclists some degree of respect but them feckers on Mopeds are lethal.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pull the electrical cord out of the socket, then they'll be rightly f*cked and they have to walk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'm currently on a break from cycling, have to use the moped to get over to college everyday. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, aslong as they're respectful (which I like to think I am)! People on mopeds gets so little respect from car drivers, doing dodgey overtakings mid (sometimes blind) corners and stupid stuff like that. Wouldn't blame them if they seemed a little agro, I find it much worse than on the push bike!

Out of curiousity, what is a typical example of the stuff you see them doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Wez wrote: »
    I'm currently on a break from cycling, have to use the moped to get over to college everyday. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, aslong as they're respectful (which I like to think I am)! People on mopeds gets so little respect from car drivers, doing dodgey overtakings mid (sometimes blind) corners and stupid stuff like that. Wouldn't blame them if they seemed a little agro, I find it much worse than on the push bike!

Out of curiousity, what is a typical example of the stuff you see them doing?

What I notice is:
    Blocking the way because they can't fit through a spot that a cyclist could.
    Going too slow.
    Pointless/careless overtaking.
    Inability to turn right at junctions properly.

I'm sure they just don't realise it, but they can be a nuisance. I'd give bad moped users a 6/10 on the annoyance scale, they're not *that* bad all in all.
    imho

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Doesn't bother me unless they are blocking, in which case, yes it is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

Wez wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it
    What about it being illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cgf wrote: »
    ...am I the only one pi$$ed off with Mopeds & Motorbikes using Cyclelanes & Bus Lanes.

They are allowed in bus lanes. Also I believe they are allowed in cycle lanes unless there is a continuous white line separating the cycle lane.

There are a few mopeds that I encounter on my way to work and the same few always seem to pass me very close even though the road is plenty wide. Of course, not all of them do this. I've never had an issue with any motorbikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Raam wrote: »
    They are allowed in bus lanes.

Nope, they definitly are not!
    Though Gay Byrne and the RSA is looking at allowing them in future.
    It makes sense, motorcycles don't cause congestion.
    And yes, the gardai don't realy enforce it the rule at the moment.
    I'd confidently predict the ban will be lifted within the next 6 months.

Most bikers are very aware and the chance of being hit by a car is far, far higher.
    Mainly for the simple reason that car drivers are more detached from their surroundings and possibly feel safer to show agresssion.

Sorry getting off topic.
    A lot of moped riders are teenagers who probably did not pay for expensive lessons and training.
    Many will buy motorcycles in time and become excellent drivers.
    But in the meantime it is little suprise you may see some immature and dangerous behaviour.

But overall, you should concentrate your rants on cars and pedestrians if you are worried about other commuters and road users

micmclo wrote: »
    Nope, they definitly are not!

I could have sworn there was a change announced in the papers a few months ago to say that they are.

Well blow me down, I can't find anything about it apart from people demanding that they be given permission. So to clarify: I now believe they are NOT allowed in the bus lane....until my next u-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Raam wrote: »
    Also I believe they are allowed in cycle lanes unless there is a continuous white line separating the cycle lane.
    Nothing is allowed drive continuously in a cycle lane whether the white line is continuous or broken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Mopeds are about as useful as a solar powered flashlight.
    Being in the bus lane serves no purpose either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I drive, cycle, and years ago had motorcycles. Imo mopeds are driven by inexperienced / newbie drivers. Motorcyclists are imo more experienced, and very good at getting to the front of the queue at traffic lights, so seldom block cars or bikes.
    You will always have thoughtless people, and inexperienced people. New ones are produced every day. Its just life. Legislation or enforcement won't change it.

kincsem wrote: »
    You will always have thoughtless people, and inexperienced people. New ones are produced every day. Its just life. Legislation or enforcement won't change it.
    That's what they want you to think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

cgf wrote: »
    :mad:

Folks,

Not sure if this has been covered but am I the only one pi$$ed off with Mopeds & Motorbikes using Cyclelanes & Bus Lanes.

I cycle into work regardless of the weather and the amount of low-spec Mopeds using the cyclelanes and bus lanes is incredible. The cops 'enforcing' operation freeflow don't seem to give a damn and just let them cruise on by.

The Motorcyclists seem to give cyclists some degree of respect but them feckers on Mopeds are lethal.
    I am a Motorcyclist and sometimes use a push bike. I use the bus lanes for my own safety. There is room for both if the cyclist keeps to the left and bikes keep to the right. (Some bus lanes have extra internal markings for cycle lanes, eg Merrian Road).

I have never been stopped or cautioned by the cops in fact bikers have been encouraged to use bus lanes rather than trying to filter through the medium facing the risk of oncoming traffic. Most countries in Europe including the UK allows bikers in the bus lanes for this reason and also the logic that a motorbike is not going to hog a bus.

When Bus lanes and cycle lanes were introduced over the last 15 years they squeezed these extra lanes into many roads that was originally only designed for two lanes, thus closing any gaps for motorcyclists to filter through. An example of this is along the canal between Harrolds Cross and Baggot St, this is why you will see many couriers using the cycle lanes on this stretch.

Any biker that races up through a cycle lane is an idiot for their own safety, I have seen passenger doors being opened, pedestrians walking across them, cars pulling over on them etc. If they have a crash on them they don’t have a leg to stand on in court.

II have never been stopped or cautioned by the cops in fact bikers have been encouraged to use bus lanes
    By who?
    Any biker that races up through a cycle lane is an idiot for their own safety,
    Kinda makes you wonder if they're safe enough for cyclists.

The main problem cyclists have with motorcyclists is illegal overtaking. They just get past, get in front and get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tomas_V wrote: »
    What about it being illegal?
    It is technically illegal but the gardai are not bothering with them. This is similar to they way the gardai allow cyclists away with illegal activities- see the recent thread on "should cyclists be allowed break lights".

I break the law everyday, many times in full view of the gardai, it is mainly for my own safety that I do it, AND it helps the flow of traffic. I break lights and cycle on footpaths and have no doubt any reasonable garda is thinking it is good common sense, safe for me and motorists.

The laws are in place for a reason, and have to be vague enough to have a "catch all". If a lad is doing 150kmph on a 700cc honda on a cycletrack full of kids walking on it he will be stopped.

I would not like to see my tax money spent paying a garda & paying for judge & court time to prosecute a moped skipping up on cycletrack who maybe aiding the flow of traffic, and is not holding up cyclists or endangering pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

rubadub wrote: »
    The laws are in place for a reason, and have to be vague enough to have a "catch all"...[]

I would not like to see my tax money spent paying a garda & paying for judge & court time to prosecute a moped skipping up on cycletrack who maybe aiding the flow of traffic, and is not holding up cyclists or endangering pedestrians.

I think there's a blur between what "should" be the case and what "is" the case. Unless I hear a judge or a garda (on the record) sharing your sentiments I'll be wary about breaking the law. It's our law so we can lobby to change it wherever it's unfair. As a cyclist (vulnerable road user) it's in my best interests if everyone obeys all the laws.

As a citizen it infuriates me when those in powerful positions in society break the law, moreso than petty crime. On the road this translates into zero tolerance for motorists breaking the laws; but I don't hold much indignation for cyclists or pedestrians who break the law, if they don't cause danger to others. Motorcyclists are still motorists and should exhibit more responsibility than non-motorists IMHO and should wait until they're allowed to use bus lanes. For safety reasons (as above, pedestrians, themselves, cyclists) they should never be allowed on cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oobydooby wrote: »
    Unless I hear a judge or a garda (on the record) sharing your sentiments I'll be wary about breaking the law. It's our law so we can lobby to change it wherever it's unfair.
    You will never hear them say it on record. I am not sure if they get instruction in templemoore or updates when new laws come in. e.g. you will never hear of people done for tipping ash from a cigarette, yet will hear it for butt dropping. Now they will not come out and say tipping ash is OK, otherwise it is an open loophole and you would get some dump truck unloading ash in grafton street, taking advantage.

My real point as said in the "cyclists & red lights" thread is that the status quo is fine now. The majority of gardai are sensible and realise the true purpose of the laws. You might get the odd pedantic arsehole but it would be rare.

That would be the only new change in all laws I would like to see, a garda allowed to be prosectued if the judge considered him to be wasting court time, even if he was following the letter of the law. If he is simply being pedantic and does not realise the true intention of the law then he is not fit for the job. Common sense must prevail...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

rubadub wrote: »
    If a lad is doing 150kmph on a 700cc honda on a cycletrack full of kids walking on it he will be stopped.
    Pedestrians? In the cycle track? Lad on the moped is doing some service ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

By who?
    Only last week a Cop outside the British Embassy stoof out on the bus lane and put his hand out, I Thought it was me that was the Culprit but no, there was a car right behind me. He waved me on, happens regularly. THis subject was brought up several times in the motorcycle forum. The only time a cop would do someone on a bus lane would be if he was asking for it, ie speeding, weaving through traffic etc.
    Kinda makes you wonder if they're safe enough for cyclists.
    At least a motorcycle can have a head lamp on. I wouldnt cycle my push bike in the city without a helmet or high vis vest. its alott worse now than twenty years ago when I used to cycle into tech,

One of those compressed air fog horns wouldn't go astray clipped to the bars.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement