Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pronounce 'paella'

• 01-12-2007 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

I always pronounced it as 'Pie-ell-ah', but recently I've heard it spoken as 'Pie-yay-ahh'. There seems to be some dispute over the pronunciation.

One thing I dug up is that in Spanish 'll' is an english 'ly' sound, so would that point to the 'paella' version. URL : http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A737723

But this page states both and says actual pronunciation is varied by region: http://www.studyspanish.com/pronunciation/letter_ll.htm

What's others' thoughts on the word?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i think most people in ireland go with the pie-ell-ah, but
    in spain then do seem to mostly go with pie - eh - ah or your second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

From Merriam-Webster, 2 alternative pronunciations

http://cougar.eb.com/soundc11/p/paella01.wav
    http://cougar.eb.com/soundc11/p/paella02.wav

Neither of these sound like pie-ell-ah..

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

In Barcelona it's pronounce pie A yah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭light123

I would say: "pie - eh - ah" -> Spanish connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Hagar wrote: »

You mean in Barthelona :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I would go for pie - ey -yah(ll sound) or pie -ey -zha (southern Spain / South american)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Depends really. The correct Spanish pronunciation is pie-ay-ah (they'll laugh if you order pie-ella in Spain). If you're in a decent Spanish style restaurant, go with the Spanish way. If you're in the back arse of nowhere in Ireland, you'd probably be better understood if you said pie-ella.

The ll sound in Spanish is pronounced "ay". It's also bot-ey-oh, not bot-ello, if you're trying to order a bottle of something (I learnt that the hard way!).

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

'pie-ay-ah' works for me, thanks folks.

-Bam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

bambam wrote: »
    'pie-ay-ah' works for me, thanks folks.

-Bam

And if anyone laughs at your pronunciation, you can just sneer at their inferior intelligence ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'd say pie-ey-ah because I learned Spanish in school. It's a Spanish word, right? So surely it should be pronounced the way the Spanish do. (Except I wouldn't say Balenthia, so maybe not!)

It's like when people call tor-tee-ya tor-till-a. It annoys me so much! A woman at work tried to convince everyone that a tor-tee-ya was the wrap and that a tor-till-a was the thing you have with dip!

But of course there are people who have never learned Spanish, and so don't know how 'll' is pronounced. For some reason, I had myself convinced that everyone knew! I know better now.

To be honest, it was drilled into me by the scariest teacher alive. But if you said pie-ella in Ireland you'd probably be understood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Hagar wrote: »

This is correct.

LL in spanish is pronounced Y e. Lladró is pronounced Y-adro.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,322 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

eamon234 wrote: »
    You mean in Barthelona :D

Actually in Catalan they pronounce the "c" in the same way as we do, the "th" thing is Spanish or Castillian.

Advertisement