Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bundling of Products

Options
  • 01-12-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Just a query,

I am in the middle of trying to buy a Sony Bravia KDL 32D3000.

I have been dealing with the Sony Centre in Liffey Valley.

They have one for 1299 with a TV stand and DVD recorder

However I was told that it could be sold seperatly for around €1100 ( quoted two different prices in two different phone calls with sales reps €1100 and €1199).

So went up this morning ready to pay and was told that I had to buy the TV stand and recorder in order to get the TV.

Me: I dont need them

Sales Rep: we cant sell you the TV on its own

Me: I do not want a stand or recorder.

Sales Rep. Can't have the TV so

Me. So I will just go somewhere else so with my €1199, will I?

Sales Rep: Grand, Good Luck.

Just two Q's

1. Is this legal - to force you to buy Bundles ?

2. If you were the franchise manager who ran this store how would you feel that one of your staff just let €1200 walk out the door?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Don't know about the legality, but it's very common practice. Even on game consoles, you can't just buy the console, bundles are being forced on the consumer making you buy the package.

Fair play to you for voting with your feet.

Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its legal I can imagine but still maybe worth talking to store manager

You were right to vote with your feet

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Course it's legal. If they want to bundle it with a donkey (assuming all legal requirments for selling donkeys are met) they can. No one is forcing you to buy it. Maybe they dont want to be lumbered with lots of stands. Certain tv's come with stands and are made for that modle or a couple of models. Is is the fitted sony stand or a generic one? At the end of the day, if somewhere else will sell you the tv without a stand, go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Hshortt and Cabaal Thanks for the replies.

Stekelly: It was a simple Q whats with the rant. No need for your childish donkey example

Advertisement