Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra Alloy lock-nut - Help!

Options
  • 01-12-2007 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi guys,

04 Astra's in garage to have brakes done - they just phoned me to say they can't find the lock-nut to get the wheels off! Where can I get one of these? Opel parts are closed today. Is each lock-nut specific to each set of alloys or is there some sort of skeleton "Opel" key - Any ideas....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh dear. I hate those things with a passion. You could give the garage permission to remove it by whatever means neccessary. Just get a standrad nut to replace it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

There a different types of lock nuts but not an individual one to each wheel.
    It depends on where the alloys came from.
    If they were on the car from new then Opel can sell you the socket for removing the lock nut for a small fee.

Alloy wheel manafacturers sometimes provide lock nuts so if for example you had a set of TSW alloys then the lock nut socket from another set of TSWs would be a good bet to try on yours.

However, it is also possible that the lock nut was bought seperately from a motor factors.

If I were you I'd either

1) Drive the car to your local Halfords or similar and ask one of the staff to try to get you an socket matching your lock nut.

2) Ask someone with the same alloys as you for a lend of their lock nut.

3) Go to Opel for a socket if the lock nut came with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh dear. I hate those things with a passion. You could give the garage permission to remove it by whatever means neccessary. Just get a standrad nut to replace it.

Mike.

They ARE handy for not stopping your wheels getting robbed though.
    If you have 4 tyres costing €180 a corner and alloys costing €900 to replace, a set of locknuts is a very good investment. most people are to careless with the adaptor though, it should be treated as seriously as the car keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OPEL PARTS GREE

You have to destroy the old locks and buy a new set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Get it drilled out. Buy a new set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement