Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil tank capacity

Options
  • 01-12-2007 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find out what the capacity of my oil tank is.

The problem is we live in a second hand house and there's no make or model number on the tank so we're never sure how much oil to order to fill the tank.

We normally order 500l but that doesn't fill the tank and at this point we want to get what we have topped up but not knowing what the tank holds we can't really do that.

Does anyone know how I can find out what the capicity of the tank is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The old metal tanks held 300 gallons = 1364 litres.
    The newer plastic tanks are usually between 1100 litres and 1300 litres.
    If you can take over 1000 litres, you will get a better price per litre than if you order 500 litres :D If it is down to 6" to 8" it should take 1000 litres.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Thanks for the info but it's only about 4"5 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

measure height x width x depth in cm

1 litre = 1000 cubic cm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    measure height x width x depth in cm

1 litre = 1000 cubic cm

The plastic tanks are not uniform - lots of curves and indentations :(
    If you only have 4 to 5 inches, you better order soon, because the top of the outlet pipe is that high above the bottom of the tank - you will run out soon. Order 1000 litres !
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

The oil company will have no problem if you tell them you want the tank filled. They should adjust the rate according to how many litres it took to fill it. If you post a picture of the front of the tank (the side where the outlet pipe is) I should be able to tell you what size it is as I'm familiar with most types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

JamesM wrote: »
    The plastic tanks are not uniform - lots of curves and indentations :(
    If you only have 4 to 5 inches, you better order soon, because the top of the outlet pipe is that high above the bottom of the tank - you will run out soon. Order 1000 litres !
    Jim.

he should still get a fairly good idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

My tank is 1100ltrs and I had about 4-5'' of oil left in the tank when I ordered a delivery of 1000ltrs.
    The driver either completes the 1000ltr order or fills the tank to capacity [if less than 1000ltrs]. The printout receipt gives you the quantity of oil taken in litres so you will get a good idea on tank capacity.

my tank took 960ltrs with the 4-5'' already in it and cost was €660!

Advertisement