Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX 360 or PS3 help me

• 01-12-2007 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    F is getting me a console for xmas but i cant decide between the two.
    Are Xbox's still dying from heat?

What features does the Xbox have that PS3 doesnt?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I have both consoles at the moment and I play the 360 the most. Great range of games plus great online play. The PS3 at the moment is not doing it for me, but next year I'll reckon will be great. Tough decision though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭xo_CHEWY_ox

360 handsdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What features does the Xbox have that PS3 doesnt?

GAMES ! :D

I own both and the 360 has a much larger games catalog - and the
    games that are multi platform tend to be cheaper and out quicker for the

OP, do a search.. plenty of recent threads on the 360, PS3 and Games fora
    debating this same point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I honestly think whichever one you went for you would be happy! I own a 360 and play it aleast 2 hours a day and online too and its great fun! I know for a fact when MGS4 comes out ill buy a ps3 for that then mostly likely more games because there should be a good selection by then!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Is it true that the 360s are a lot noisier than the PS3s? Or have Microsoft solved that problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yes they are noiser, you can't really hear a PS3 unless your right beside it. Most of the noise of the 360 is because of the DVD drive that MS put in the thing. When playing DVDs its as quiet as a PS3 but when playing games its sounds like a top end PC running flat out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Captain Chaos...completely off topic but just wondering about Ace Combat. Was thinking about getting it...any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭xo_CHEWY_ox

the 360 elite is a lot quieter though

bucks73 wrote: »
    Captain Chaos...completely off topic but just wondering about Ace Combat. Was thinking about getting it...any good?

If your familiar with the series and like the past games, I'd say get it. The graphics are great and the action is thick and fast. On an average mission you will destroy 120-180 targets. There are only 15 fighters and levels but its a good bit harder than the last games. I finished it on Normal, then there are Hard, Expert and Ace difficulty. You can get through it in a little over 2hrs on normal.

It will be though to get 1000/1000 on this. I haven't tried it online so I can't comment there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

the 360 elite is a lot quieter though

Not necessarily - my first Elite sounded like it was going to take off.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I've gotten an Xbox 360 in the last few weeks. When I turned it on first I thought the thing as broken. The noise coming off it was incredible. I had to put a few posts on gaming sites to find out that the thing was normal.
    Otherwise I'm reasonably happy with it. Gears of War was middling but I'm having a laugh right now playing Crackdown. Believe me if this was released as "GTA IV" it would have sold millions, and in a lot of ways it's superior to the GTA games. Certainly looks about 5 times better than he PS2 GTA games.

Yeah alot of people hate Crackdown, some prefare to call it Crapdown. I loved it and thought it was very good. But you have to take it for what it is, a comic book based, super hero, crime fighting, free roaming, sandbox style game. Does exactly what it says on the box and is a blast to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

im thinking about buying a ps3 after xmas which should i go for 40gb or 60gb is the 60gb worth the price difference?excuse my ignorance but i dont know what these gbs are all about

hiscan wrote: »
    im thinking about buying a ps3 after xmas which should i go for 40gb or 60gb is the 60gb worth the price difference?excuse my ignorance but i dont know what these gbs are all about

Well after Xmas you wont have a choice, all brand new 60gb models will be gone for good.

Gbs. basically in extream laymans terms is the amount of space on the hard drive. Its no big deal really as you can always get an external USB hard drive and connect to you PS3 if you happen to need more than 40gb worth.

Its just space to store music, demos, game addons and save files. The average demo these days comes in at 1gb or there about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

360 has more games but crap reliability, PS3 is more solid but has a very small game catalog, I mainly use mine for watching Blu-Ray movies, if you go they way of the 360 make sure to check the boxes as if you can get a Falcon version, its a premium version and it will have HDMI and the side of the box will specifiy the power requirements as 175Watts, and most of these will have the quiter Benq drive in them so less noise.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just reading an interview with Mark Rein from Epic Games.
    He was saying that the PS3's version of Unreal Tournament 3 will be released first, primarily because users will be able to create maps/mods/etc, PC style, whereas the Xbox 360 is a "closed" system and user created content will not be available.
    So if extra stuff created by users floats your boat, then go PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Have both consoles myself and if I had to recommend one I would say the 360

both console have great features and are only getting better with the updates the companys are providing such as divx support etc

Also Xbox Live is winning a factor for me as I think its a great service for console multiplayer that sony and nintendos offerings dont come close.

Id recommend the getting the 360 based purly on the on the fact that it has a great games collection atm where the ps3 dose not at this stage but will have have a great set come next christmas.

The reliability of the 360 can be an issue but ive had one going on a year and half and never had a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

hiscan wrote: »

If you can afford it you would be best to get one now, the 40gb version is a scaled down PS3. There is no backwards compatablilty in the 40gb version meaning you won't be able to play your old PS2 games on it. As has been said the 60gb version has been discontinued so you won't be able to get it once the current batch sells out.

I have both consoles and to be honest I'd be hard pressed to say which is better. The 360 has more games but that is purely a result of the console being out longer so PS3 will catch up in time. Some of the new PS3 games are excellent, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a lot of fun.

If I was advising someone I'd say to make your decission on whether you are more concerned with HD movies or online gaming... The PS3 is obviously the way to go for HD movies (although you can buy the HD DVD add on for the 360 if you choose). Xbox live is streets ahead of the PS3's online service.

Advertisement