Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunder and Lightning in Mayo

Options
  • 01-12-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

We were woke from our sleep this morning with the sound of lightning hitting the ground beside our house. Ive never heard anything like it. There were four booms in very quick succession that literally shook the house. The doors and windows were rattling. It was so loud that my first thought was that it was a jet after hitting the ground as I live close to Ireland West Airport Knock.
    Just wondering did anyone else have any experiences with close lightning strikes?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Jaysus, closest lightning has ever come to me has been a tree in a field next to me as I was cycling home from work once in Dublin. I never moved as fast on a bike once I saw that flash and heard the BOOOOOM over my head. Spent about a half hour lying exhausted on the stairs when I did get back - lots of hills in Cabinteely.

As for home in Mayo, I've never had problems with lightning strikes. Couple of friends have had modems fried but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I live in Westport, and when I was about 12, I was walking out of my bedroom towards the light switch in the hallway as i was about to turn on the light.

Suddenly, a blue light greeted me through the window beside the light switch, and then the power went out. I realised that the lightning had hit the meter box in the corner of my kitchen downstairs, and then jumped onto the kitchen sink, to which my dad was very near.

Granted it was a very scary experience and in a matter of seconds, it was over. Quite funny looking back on it now though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

nevf wrote: »
    Quite funny

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

a few years back, I was down the west with the parents for the weekend, and they had a labrador retriever called Suilie (Irish:suil amahain - he had one eye when born) who slept on daddys chair in the kitchen.

One night there was thunder and lightening, and Suilie went galloping down the hall and jumped into the bed between mammy & daddy with the fright of the thunder. The whole bed was vibrating, he was terrified.

The following morning, we looked out the front of the house, and there were 4 hugh trees that had been struck by lightening, they were burnt to stumps. Those trees were 100m from the house. Is it any wonder the dog was frightened.

Advertisement