Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on maths/phys postgrad

• 01-12-2007 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm in final year of a B.A single honours MathsPhysics and I really am unsure of what I want to do.
    I'm pretty confident that I would be comfortable studying most things if given adequate time.I'm also sure I want to continue learning.I'm also sure that i want to leave the country within two years.
    However, if something were to spike my interest at some stage then the former point would be just superficial.I'm twenty years old and i really don't have a clue.
    Is it wise to do a one year taught masters just to give myself more time?
    Does this kind of thing happen to most people?

I'm really lost here, part of me thinks about going back and doing a second undergrad with french, philosophy and geography.But that would involve endless monetary hassle and stagnation and of course I'd end up in the same situation in three years.

Rather long winded but any thoughts?Anyone?

Comments

The whole 'big bad world' may seem daunting but doing additional study for the sake of doing it usually isn't a good idea in my opinion, especially if you're not interested.

Why don't you consider working for a year or two, and then go back? What's the rush? In particular, to keep your interest going you could apply for some research jobs in some companies in the field you're specifically interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

I guess so.I think my main problem is that if I was to sit down in front of some expert in any field of anything, i wouldn't be capable of holding a decent level of conversation for an extended period of time about that field.I mean what the hell did I spend the last three years doing?
    Thats why I thought that if I spend an extra year and maybe feel more confident that i have gained substantial knowledge and maybe do some research then.
    However I definately don't have the same fascination as some of the other people in my class, maybe I just need to read around the subject.

I couldn't imagine having the confidence to interview in light of that^

Well rather then querying whether you will be able, why not go up to some of your lecturers after your class to find out what they're working on, and what area's they would be looking to get people to do Masters on? I finished final year last year (not Physics mind!) but towards the end of the year several of my lecturers were telling the class to come to them if they are interested in pursuing postgraduate courses in order to talk about the areas available.

Also, assuming you're doing one, would your final year project give some indication about your willingness to research? I'm assuming you'd be looking into doing a Research Masters, not a Taught Masters going on the above :)

The other thing to consider would be whether you'd like to do another intensive year after final year. I'm keeping an open mind about whether I'll go back to do further study in a few years, but right now I'm very happy just being in the working world!

Advertisement