Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best/cheapest diesel car to 'experiment' with veg oil/biodiesel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JHMEG wrote: »
    What small displacement diesel engined car would you recommend for SVO, and maybe a bit of WVO, in summer time. I do recall reading about viscosity issues in colder weather, but instead of modify, I'd prefer to just avoid colder weather.

Most of my reading centres on BioDiesel, but as per the other replies the old (early 90s at the latest) Mercs seemed to have no issues on SVO (even without mods) and some of the older VWs. I recently read about someone putting WVO, unfiltered (ie with bits of crap floating in it ) in a 2.5l V6 A6 TDI (1998) and it only broke 3 times over 6 mths, which is remarkable as using WVO, unheated and unfiltered is pretty moronic. The failures were the fuel pump siezing and the fuel tank capacity needle getting confused (it jammed, so he thought he had fuel when it was empty).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I remember watching Mythbusters some time back where they used WVO on a unmodified Mercedes 300SD (W126). Worked well too.
    I saw this repeated recently. It was far from unmodified, fuel supply-wise - they used a small fuel tank (about 1 litre IIRC) mounted on the side of the windscreen so they could see what was going on (it was transparent), and being California on a sunny day I would say it was pretty warm.

According to this place Toyota (N and C series) and Nissan (CD series - 1.7 and 2.0) diesels use "Bosch type" fuel pumps. It doesn't mention Bosch for the Isuzu and Mazda diesels I looked at. Dunno how reliable that is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Citroen xantia/Puegeot 306/405 etc da ones with da turbo actually have da bosch pump so non turbos are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I saw this repeated recently. It was far from unmodified, fuel supply-wise - they used a small fuel tank (about 1 litre IIRC) mounted on the side of the windscreen so they could see what was going on (it was transparent), and being California on a sunny day I would say it was pretty warm.

True, but I don't think though there were any modifications to the engine itself (i.e. fuel injectors and what not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

According to this place Toyota (N and C series) and Nissan (CD series - 1.7 and 2.0) diesels use "Bosch type" fuel pumps. It doesn't mention Bosch for the Isuzu and Mazda diesels I looked at. Dunno how reliable that is though.
    That's interesting. I'd like to use a Jap engine if at all possible, usually cos they're in Jap cars, the Isuzu being the exception. I'm not aware of any sub 2.0 Toyota engine from that era (was there one?), and didn't realise there were small-ish Nissan diesels, tho I see from that site the CD17 in old Sunnys.

Tho the Pug XUD engines seem highly rated, only pity is the rest of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This is the biz. A database of different cars and results.
    http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/index.php

Thanks 3ps for the link to that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Max_Damage wrote:
    True, but I don't think though there were any modifications to the engine itself (i.e. fuel injectors and what not).
    Yeah I don't think they did anything to the engine. But as others said you'd probably need extra heating for use over here, especially this time of year.
    JHMEG wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any sub 2.0 Toyota engine from that era (was there one?),
    I posted about 1.5s above. I have seen several mid-90s Corolla II/Tercel/Corsas (they're all pretty much identical) in Ireland but I don't recall if they were diesels or not. The CE90 Corollas/Sprinters were 1.8s, but they're probably too old and crappy for you ('87-'92).
    and didn't realise there were small-ish Nissan diesels, tho I see from that site the CD17 in old Sunnys.
    They didn't seem to make it outside Japan - my November '93 What Car lists Sunnys with 2.0 litre diesels - prob PSA or Renault or something if they were built in Sunderland like most Nissans here. And the last "Sunny" sold here was the N13 Pulsar in Japan in case you were wondering - the JDM Sunny was a related but different car (I've seen several imports over here as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

seat toledo 1.9d bosch pump cheap comfortable, and i got one parked up

Advertisement