Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving money in dublin

Options
  • 01-12-2007 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Ive started a new job after college a couple of months ago, and am trying to save up money for something next year, and am just wondering if anyone can suggest good ways of avoiding expenditure in Dublin?

I was a student last year, and i know it sounds funny but because i was living off my parents i didnt feel as much of a need to be economical with my spending because it wasnt my money and i wasnt trying to save up.

Now that ive started working, it finally hits home just how much money you spend casually in Dublin without noticing it. What kind of tricks are there for saving money? Like ive started bring lunch into work instead of buying it each day, that should save me about 80 euro per month. I use webtexts instead of my phone most of the time, that saves another little bit, make sure to buy return tickets on the dart, have a smart card on the luas....etc. Ive heard a few other suggestions e.g. buying a crate of beer to last me a few weeks instead of buying a six pack every friday/saturday, drinking less (**** off!), cheap places for clothes etc

Anything else anyone can suggest? e.g. cheap shops, cheap pubs, little money-saving tricks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭light123

Hi,

Minimise any shopping at the Spars or Centras. They make a fecking forture.

Shop around for everything. Stop buying clothes for a while and see how much you have after a while.

If you like movies, who doesn't, don't go to the cinema, or even rent, get the dvds at a library, they're FREE, and nearly up to date and will certainly have some classics.

Don't waste your money on buying water, if you need it bring it from home.

Aldi and Lidl are excellent, I get a lot of stuff there.

Being a guy, don't use a razor but get an electric one. You will shave a small fortune very quickly.

If you can try, don't buy coffee, lot's of money waste there.

That's all for the moment, if I think of anything else I will write more.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭barclay2

light123 wrote: »
    Hi,

Minimise any shopping at the Spars or Centras. They make a fecking forture.

Shop around for everything. Stop buying clothes for a while and see how much you have after a while.

If you like movies, who doesn't, don't go to the cinema, or even rent, get the dvds at a library, they're FREE, and nearly up to date and will certainly have some classics.

Don't waste your money on buying water, if you need it bring it from home.

Aldi and Lidl are excellent, I get a lot of stuff there.

Being a guy, don't use a razor but get an electric one. You will shave a small fortune very quickly.

If you can try, don't buy coffee, lot's of money waste there.

That's all for the moment, if I think of anything else I will write more.

Im all over it re: not buying water, i never do that. And being a coffee addict, i do need it every day before work but i settle for the free ****e they give us in the cantine in work. I never go to aldi or lidl, thanks for that one. And didnt know about the electric razor thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

when you go out for a few drinks don't go to the likes of cafe insane, dicey's, temple bar etc. They are an absolute rip off. Nowhere is cheap for pints in Dublin but some places can be €1-€1.50 cheaper than other places.

Avoiding Spar and Centra is very good advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

At the supermarkets look for the Buy One Get One Free or mutli Buy offers, i.e 4 Cans of heniz bean €3 Free Breakfast cereal, 100% extra free etc Bugdet €100 or whatever to do a big shop to last you a month on dry/grocery goods in Aldi/Lidl, then just get your fresh stuff weekly allways go with a shopping list and never shop hungry as you end up buying a lot of junk.

Buy phone credit in Large amounts and get the % free from the operators

second hand stores are good for Books DVDs etc

Trial offers for everything

Have a wish list for your Birthday/Christmas so you get what you want and need, Books, Phone Credit, Cash :D and not socks shirts and smelly stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Packed lunch and a flask of coffee will save you a bundle. Buy a coffee machine and buy your coffee from Aldi/Lidl, the coffee there is the same quality if not better then Bewleys/O'Briens. If you drink a lot of bottled water then buy some of those huge 4-5 liter bottles and fill up an empty 500ml bottle and take that with you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement