Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp Shed Storage?

Options
  • 01-12-2007 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought this bike recently and have been keeping it in doors in my house, but it's in the way most of the time so I'm just wondering if I was to store it in my shed, which can get very damp (water can drip in etc), would it be ok as long as I kept it covered or would the damp air harm it too?

I'm not sure of what the bike is made of, perhaps I don't even need to worry about leaving it in there without a cover?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

cormie wrote: »
    I'm not sure of what the bike is made of, perhaps I don't even need to worry about leaving it in there without a cover?
    Looks like an aluminium alloy frame with a carbon fork & mostly alloy components. Very little risk of rust.

Main thing would be to keep the bearings and chain dry. Throw a old sheet of plastic over it just to be sure.

If it's really damp, there might be some risk of the tyres/tube perishing over long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

aluminium still corrodes, it just doesnt oxidise!
    buy a cover for it, e20 isnt a fortune, especially when that bike was circa e1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Are there special covers I can get? I remember reading about storing a wood lathe in a shed and that if you soak a sheet in oil, leave it dry and then use that, it will stop any corrosion. I forget the exact method, but involved something like olive oil and a bed sheet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

cormie wrote: »
    Are there special covers I can get? I remember reading about storing a wood lathe in a shed and that if you soak a sheet in oil, leave it dry and then use that, it will stop any corrosion. I forget the exact method, but involved something like olive oil and a bed sheet :)

that sounds a bit drastic. for oxidation to occur both moisture and oxygen must be present. a thin layer of grease on all the moving parts will prevent air/moisture oxidising the metal. the frame etc shouldn't need any protection but the chain, cassette, brake pivots + springs etc, dérailleurs (i.e. all the bits that are made of steel as opposed to aluminium) should be coated.

i'd also recommend hanging the bike up rather than letting it sit on its tyres as the air will escape over time and the empty tyre walls get damaged by the weight of the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Try to keep rain from dripping on it, but do not wrap it fully in plastic as that will probably keep it permanently damp. Circulating air will dry it. Keep the chain lightly oiled. I like to oil my chain, and then immediately wipe it dry with a rag to stop grit adhering to it when out and about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement