Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW Francise

Options
  • 01-12-2007 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Rumour has it that MP have lost this francise. Anyone know who is taking it on. God they have had it for so long.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Heard that one a few weeks ago alright. Bit mad methinks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Heard it a month back, BMW are to set up their own garage instead . They took over the distribution some time back and now they will take over the garages and servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

There has been a rumour that around 4 garages were going to lose their franchises. However, I haven't heard any copnfirmation as to who the 4 are.

Personally, I think it would be a shame if Motorpark/Barrys lost theirs, as I've always found their service (on the few occasions I've used them) very good, and they seem to have a very good reputation amongst BMW owners on the enthuasiasts sites (unlike several other dealers around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

Don't think I'll miss MP, anytime I've had to order big or expensive parts for my car I've contacted Conlan's in Kildare, given them my part numbers and got a price which was always lower than the MP price, then I asked for a "best price" and they always dropped the price by a few quid.

Anytime, and I mean anytime, I rang the MP for a quote on a part number the first question I was asked every time, in a thick manner by the way, was "where did you get the part number?".

It doesn't matter where I got the part number, I know what I want, just quote me!!! Hopefully if BMW do move to Galway they won't inflate their prices like MP do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Frank Jnr wrote: »
    Don't think I'll miss MP, anytime I've had to order big or expensive parts for my car I've contacted Conlan's in Kildare, given them my part numbers and got a price which was always lower than the MP price, then I asked for a "best price" and they always dropped the price by a few quid.

Anytime, and I mean anytime, I rang the MP for a quote on a part number the first question I was asked every time, in a thick manner by the way, was "where did you get the part number?".

It doesn't matter where I got the part number, I know what I want, just quote me!!! Hopefully if BMW do move to Galway they won't inflate their prices like MP do.

Never had a problem just quoting part number to the BMW guys. Infact the last few times I went in I got dealt with pretty quick cause the lad in there knew i'd have the part number therefore making his life easier. First time I went in I asked do they use the same part numbers as RealOEM and he said 'Yeah'

• Advertisement

It's all down to personal experiences John, whatever about the differences in "greetings" there's no way I'll go back to them if their prices stay high even if the happiest guy in the world was working the counter.

I ring both them and Conlans for prices and I always end up going with the lower prices of Conlans, it's just a pity about the inconvienience (and yes, the price difference does makes up for the hassle).

You're not related to Conlons by any chance; a 2 post total with both knocking the local garage and kissing the rear of another!!!

Or am I just too suspicious and seeing pimps everywhere?

Fey! wrote: »
    You're not related to Conlons by any chance; a 2 post total with both knocking the local garage and kissing the rear of another!!!

Or am I just too suspicious and seeing pimps everywhere?

Hi Fey!,

You're just being suspicious I'm afraid. My car is 10 years old and at that age things wear out. I've replaced the catalytic converter twice and the exhaust once along with a few other pieces, all expensive parts. I'm just unhappy with the reception I got on the phone and the prices that I was quoted.

I just mentioned the other garage as a comparison of the service & prices.

Normally I wouldn't even bother with a post like this but I felt strongly about the way MP carried on, when it comes to parts costing a total amount in the thousands it just pays to shop around, rip off Ireland and all that. I have no other motives or connections to other garages, I just like good service & reasonably priced parts.

Regards,

Frank.

Fair enough; my apologies for the slur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Just heard there that Tom Hogan Motors have got the francise. Not sure how reliable that info is though.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

Cmon the banner

Considering that a lot of the rumours about dealers losing their BMW franchises was due to the dealers being multi-franchise, isn't it interesting that BMW might give the dealership to LEXUS!!! Sounds just a wee bit stupid.

If the rumour is true, then it is a bit disappointing (for me, anyway), as I always had good service in Motorpark, and they are well regarded by the BMW enthuasiast websites (unlike several other dealers around the country).

EDIT: Does this mean that second hand BMWs in the west now come with a 12 month TOYOTA approved warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Can't imagine that Lexus and BMW would be sold under the one roof,or indeed that Toyota would allow its dealers to sell BMW when it has its' own luxury brand.

Could set up a different premises in another part of town ?

Ditch the Toyota dealership ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I heard the same thing from a very reliable source - Tom Hogan's are getting the franchise. I'm not sure if they'll do it in the same showroom as Lexus though... unlikely I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Can't imagine that Lexus and BMW would be sold under the one roof,or indeed that Toyota would allow its dealers to sell BMW when it has its' own luxury brand.

Could set up a different premises in another part of town ?

Ditch the Toyota dealership ?

I doubt very much they would ditch one of the best selling brands in the country in favour of BMW. I am fairly sure now they do have the francise but as was said it would have to be set up in a different location.

Advertisement