Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change my Chain

Options
  • 01-12-2007 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know a bike shop on (or near) the north side of the city that would change my chain on the sport tomorrow (Sunday)? I managed to bust it and want the bike for tomorrow.

thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Can't imagine any bike shop not being able to do it on the spot, its a 5 min job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i don't know a shop that's deffo open on sundays but i'll make a suggestion. do you have a chain-tool? you can usually bodge a fix by shortening the chain by one link, ie throw away the broken pate or pin and stick the two new ends together. places a little extra strain on the dérailleur, but in the small cogs it makes no odds.

after thought: Halford's in blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Can't imagine any bike shop not being able to do it on the spot, its a 5 min job.

The only ones that I know/think that are open are Cyclelogical (maybe) but they only repair their own bikes (that said I have bought two from them, just not this one) and CycleWays, but their work shop doesn't open on Sundays.

niceonetom wrote: »
    ...but i'll make a suggestion. do you have a chain-tool? you can usually bodge a fix by shortening the chain by one link, ie throw away the broken pate or pin and stick the two new ends together. places a little extra strain on the dérailleur, but in the small cogs it makes no odds.

That's how I broke the thing. I took it off to clean it and managed to bend the link when putting it back together. The chain still spins but sticks a bit in the jockey wheels.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    after thought: Halford's in blanch?
    Now that you mention Halfords, the one in Coolock might be an option. It's not too far away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

commuting solutionsin rathmines is a 7 day bike shop, and euro cycles in south william street in the city is also open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

buy a powerlink;) they are like e2.
    either that or a pliers, actually this thread riminded me to fix my jump bike chain, the yoke has a tensile strength of 1500kg, and i ripped th link out of the pin(sram chain, did it with a ultegra chain too), and i wasnt shock loading it?? i think manufacturers bulkl **** bout the strength, as much as id like to think...i dont put anywhere near that torque on a chain...
    its x-mas,bike shops are mental places to be, the chances of getting anywork done one a bike on the spot is zero to none.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Yes, what Kona said. Sram chains with powerlinks have the power to change your life. Honestly. All my bikes now have them, even the fixie. So easy to chop and change and take off for maintenance or cleaning. Last a long longer and less fragile than Shimano, I'm finding.

thanks for the advice guys. I dropped the bike into Little Sport today. I'll have a look into the powerlink.

P

Advertisement