Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leon problem: no headlights, wipers...

Options
  • 01-12-2007 9:46pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

I've a 2000 Seat Leon, and tonight it has started acting up.

Girlfriend had driven the car back, and all was working OK, but when we were gonna head off again earlier, a lot of electrics aren't working.

The headlights, indicators, heater fan, wipers - none of these are working. They were working less than half an hour beforehand. I've checked fuses, and they all seem intact (there was one blown, but changing it made no difference).

So, I'm now guessing it's more serious. I've Googled for answers but didn't come up with much, except that the problem may be an ignition switch issue or "X relay".

Just wondering if any other VAG owners came across the same problems and how hard/easy/expensive it was to fix.

On a side note, anyone know where the heck the relay console is in a Leon, as I searched earlier, albeit with a torch, but couldn't find the relays

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Do you have anything plugged into the cigarette lighter? Happened to me before on a Fiat.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nah, nothing plugged in to cig lighter.

If only it were that simple :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Not familiar with that car, but many cars have additional main fuses in the engine bay, prob somewhere fairly near the battery. Worth a look.

byte

Pete67 wrote: »
    Not familiar with that car, but many cars have additional main fuses in the engine bay, prob somewhere fairly near the battery. Worth a look.
    Yeah, there's a box containing 3 30A fuses, though these are working fine (did continuity test)

From looking at the manual, one is for ignition, 2 of them for ABS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

There are more strip fuses on top of the battery, open the flap on top of the battery and wou will see them.
    They are under the cover where the red wires enter in the pic.
    simota.jpg

Neil.

• Advertisement
    byte

Yup, that's the location of the 3x 30A fuses. THere are also 4 fuses which aren't like normal changeable ones "only to be changed by Seat" type things, though these are intact too.

I'm gonna have to have a more thorough look at the fuse board tomorrow, though I'm thinking it's leaning more towards ignition, or a relay problem.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

A continuity test is only valid if you test the fuse when it is removed from the circuit........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like your X-contact relay is not working. Go to your nearest Seat dealer and get a new one.

byte

crosstownk wrote: »
    It sounds like your X-contact relay is not working. Go to your nearest Seat dealer and get a new one.
    I think you might be right. I found a forum where somebody had a similar issue with an Audi, and an X relay was mentioned as a possible cause.

I may drop the car off at Seat garage tomorrow. Or could I just buy it and stick it in myself? If the garage is very busy, I might have to do just that.

I still haven't found where the relay panel is, but I think it is under the steering wheel (have to remove the trim).

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

Hey I've got a Toledo and think the relay's are in the same place. They are in behind the dash above the pedals the quickest way i found to get into them is to open the 4 screws that holds the fuse box to the dash beside the drivers door and you'll be able to see them. Sorry don't know anything about your problem.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »

I may drop the car off at Seat garage tomorrow. Or could I just buy it and stick it in myself? If the garage is very busy, I might have to do just that.

I still haven't found where the relay panel is, but I think it is under the steering wheel (have to remove the trim).

Once you locate it, it's simply a matter of pulling out the old relay and plugging in the new one.

I'd imagine it is below the steering wheel - at least this is where it's located on VW/Audi models of that year.

byte

Just to update.

The car is with Seat garage now. It turned out that the ignition switch is faulty, and because of it sticking, it has burned a wire in the process.

I find it odd that there were no signs of the key being hard to turn, or sticking, in the ignition, but this has turned out to be the fault.

The X-contact is initiated at the ignition switch. When you turn the key, terminal 30 (constant live) is passed to ignition live (terminal 15) and to terminal X (X-contact). So it sounds like they may have the fault identified.

byte

Yeah, he did mention that they first blamed the relay, but it turned out not to be the case.

Gonna cost €75 for the ignition switch plus labour.

Thanks for the help and info.

Advertisement