Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Few Shekels for the National BB Scheme.

Options
  • 01-12-2007 9:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Rumours that DCENR have gotten a cabinet or dept of finance approved earmark of €53m for the National BB Scheme, but no more than that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Rumours that DCENR have gotten a cabinet or dept of finance approved earmark of €53m for the National BB Scheme, but no more than that.

The department were still maintaining up to a couple of weeks ago that the provider would be appointed by the end of the year (2007 presumably).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

clohamon wrote: »
    The department were still maintaining up to a couple of weeks ago that the provider would be appointed by the end of the year (2007 presumably).

That date was pushed back ages ago to mid 2008 at the earliest.

The decision to give it to Eircom will take longer than they thought apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Been told by a VERY reliable source that the amount was reduced to a whopping €10m in the budget yesterday.

No national nothing in 2008 so. Eircom would only do about 120 exchanges if they got €10m but there are 350-400 unprogrammed exchanges to do to get 100% of exchanges upgraded.

And then there is the copper :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think Eircom's submission was to use satellite where it was uneconomical to use other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Been told by a VERY reliable source that the amount was reduced to a whopping €10m in the budget yesterday.

:(

Isn't there €16M from the ERDF also? or is that all going to MANS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

clohamon wrote: »
    Isn't there €16M from the ERDF also? or is that all going to MANS?

As far as I can see, every shekel is going to "saving" the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bealtine wrote: »
    As far as I can see, every shekel is going to "saving" the planet.

scroll down to communications section

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2008/budgetsummary08.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

crawler wrote: »
    scroll down to communications section

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2008/budgetsummary08.html

I did...it seems to be more about using toilet paper to insulate houses than to generate a real meaningful broadband scheme.

10 mil out of 532.8 mil inspires confidence (in me) that we have a minister who cares fundamentally about the issues facing Irish consumers, those who have been left for years without access to the modern world.

I'm very skeptical about all this scaremongering about the causes of climate change, but then that is off topic for here:)

Indeed
    €10 million capital funding is being provided for the National Broadband Scheme, which will go towards making broadband available to around 10% of the population that currently has no access to it;

however there is good news
    an extra €4 million current funding is being provided for payments under the Salmon Hardship Scheme

So if you convince Ryan that you are a salmon who needs BB there is a bit of extra funding available there.

Brian Cowan announced some Euro Funding for the NDP today coinciding with a programme publised by each of the 2 Irish regions, BMW and South and East. In the BMW version. Buried in there, page 67

http://www.bmwassembly.ie/NEWOP_2007-2013/BMW%20OP%20(6-12-07).pdf
    Broadband – ERDF funding for broadband will focus on the provision of public infrastructure through the further roll-out of the MANs network and the introduction of a National Broadband Scheme.

But here is the STING in the tale, look at what the National Broadband Scheme SPEEDS are .

Page 87
    Additional businesses with 512 Kbps downstream and 128Kbps upstream broadband available 8,125

Now the South and Eastern Region is a tad different ( and attracts very little funding caompared to the west)

http://www.seregassembly.ie/publications/pub_docs/seop_20072013.pdf

However the southern and eastern version of Broadband will not be limited to 512k like in the west from what I can see .

No sign of Ryan anywhere, typical :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement